Draft Option #7: Alex Turcotte

LGR4GM

Alex Turcotte, C, USNTDP-USHL, https://theathletic.com/904724/2019/04/09/the-athletics-2019-nhl-mock-draft-lottery-edition-devils-get-the-no-1-pick/

Feb. 26, 2001 | 5-foot-11 | 194 pounds

Max Bultman: This is really a decision between Turcotte and his USNTDP teammate Trevor Zegras, both of whom might actually be value picks at this slot. Zegras would offer the elite playmaking Detroit lacks in its forward core, and for that reason he’s very tempting. But there’s just so much to love about Turcotte. For starters, he’s a fast, skilled, two-way center who his coach actually compared to Dylan Larkin recently. But Turcotte’s also been producing at crazy levels since returning from injury this season. His 2.13 points per game in USHL play outpace even Hughes. If Turcotte’s still on the board at No. 6, he’s a great pick.

Pronman’s take: In Turcotte, Detroit gets a center who, when healthy, was simply outstanding this past season. Every element of his game outside of his size (5-foot-11) stands out, from his speed to his skill to his compete level and hockey sense. Think of him as a more skilled version of Larkin without as much size. He’s a center who could be a one-and-done in college and be in the NHL playing a significant role soon in any role the coach wants.

Edited by LGR4GM

Turcotte is currently my preferred target. He excels consistently and without Hughes would be considered the best center for the USDP. He kind of lives in Hughes shadow but I personally feel is is only a hair below hughes currently in terms of skill. That first highlight comes with a pass from Samuelsson. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

This is my preferred choice as well. Unfortunately he will probably be in the conversation for 3rd Overall by June 21th. 

This is my top choice as well it will all depend on if the injury hurts his standing or not. 

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

Compare his game to ROR.

I’ll play!  Both play a 2-way game at C.  They have a similar physical build.  Turcotte is a very good all around skater, while ROR is average.  Turcotte probably has better stick handling skills.  Both are good passers.  Both have a good shot, Tucotte’s may be better though.  ROR has elite all around hockey IQ that Turcotte probably doesn’t match, although it’s definitley not a weakness for Turcotte.  ROR is better defensively, but Turcotte is responsible and could grow into an excellent defensive C.  ROR is the faceoff master.

In summary, I think they could be somewhat similar, but Turcotte can be more dynamic offensively, specifically because of his skating. It’s hard to say if Turcotte could ever be as good defensively as ROR, but the potential is there.

2 hours ago, Curtisp5286 said:

I’ll play!  Both play a 2-way game at C.  They have a similar physical build.  Turcotte is a very good all around skater, while ROR is average.  Turcotte probably has better stick handling skills.  Both are good passers.  Both have a good shot, Tucotte’s may be better though.  ROR has elite all around hockey IQ that Turcotte probably doesn’t match, although it’s definitley not a weakness for Turcotte.  ROR is better defensively, but Turcotte is responsible and could grow into an excellent defensive C.  ROR is the faceoff master.

In summary, I think they could be somewhat similar, but Turcotte can be more dynamic offensively, specifically because of his skating. It’s hard to say if Turcotte could ever be as good defensively as ROR, but the potential is there.

Thanks for the info. Agree on the skating aspect of the summary.

I meant that the scout compares him to ROR. My bad.

3 hours ago, SDS said:

Any fourth line grinders we can select with the seventh overall pick? Maybe someone who got midget checking champion of the year? 

It's hockey tryout season... I saw a few kids on the ice last night at the 15/16U level who thought their best bet for making a team was to try and run every kid on the ice.  Want me to get their names tonight? ?

14 minutes ago, LTS said:

It's hockey tryout season... I saw a few kids on the ice last night at the 15/16U level who thought their best bet for making a team was to try and run every kid on the ice.  Want me to get their names tonight? ?

I’ve been part of a “hockey club” for about 13 years since I started playing in the summer of 2006. We have a team in every division (maybe 8-10?).  Well because there are so many players we routinely have to do tryouts twice per year to fill open spots. So we would schedule a club skate and invariably one guy will show up and start hammering and slashing his future teammates into the boards in our friendly, intra-club, mixed skill level pick up. ? 

He was not asked to come back. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Yes, please. I'll even let you borrow my van if you think it will help.

free-candy.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.