Who do we draft at 7th overall?

WildCard

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

There is a distinct top 10 in this draft.  The more I read, the firmer that group is.

These 3 will no be available to us in any scenario.  Hughes, Kappo and Byram.  Pod will only be available if the Russian Factor kicks in and he makes it clear that he isn't coming over any time soon which is unlikely.

That means we are going to choose from Cozens, Dach, Turcotte, Boldy, Zegras and Krebs.  Zegras, Boldy and Turcotte are all USNTDP players.  Would anyone be surprise if JBot takes on of them vs Cozens, Dach and Krebs who are all WHL players?

Cozens is the guy who best fits our needs IMHO, but anyone of the 6 upgrade the talent in our system.  

I would also add that LA is a candidate to take a WHL guy, either Dach or Cozens.

Colorado could take really anything. They need both centers and defense. That leaves 1 of them to take either Dach, Cozens or Zegras, Turcotte. For Colorado, Zegras makes a lot of sense with his versatility. I would guess that if Byram is there, they take him. 

That leaves Chicago. Cozens/Dach also make sense because of their games. Turcotte, obviously makes sense because ROR like. They could do anything. Chicago is a good spot for Pod but let's say they don't draft him. They have taken defense high the last 2 years so I guess they pass on Byram. If they don't take Pod then that leaves their choice of the rest. I think they will be willing to take a USDP that high and I don't think they would care if they took a CHL player that high. Again they could do anything. 

NJ - Hughes

NYR - Kakko

Chi - ? Pod probably

Col - no clue, let's go with Byram

LA - Dach

Det - Zegras, Cozens, Turcotte

Buffalo - Turcotte, Cozens, Zegras

30 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

There is a distinct top 10 in this draft.  The more I read, the firmer that group is.

These 3 will no be available to us in any scenario.  Hughes, Kappo and Byram.  Pod will only be available if the Russian Factor kicks in and he makes it clear that he isn't coming over any time soon which is unlikely.

That means we are going to choose from Cozens, Dach, Turcotte, Boldy, Zegras and Krebs.  Zegras, Boldy and Turcotte are all USNTDP players.  Would anyone be surprise if JBot takes on of them vs Cozens, Dach and Krebs who are all WHL players?

Cozens is the guy who best fits our needs IMHO, but anyone of the 6 upgrade the talent in our system.  

I agree with this. I would take it a step further and go

1 and 2   Hughes Kappo

3 thru 7    Cozens , Dach , Turcotte , Byram and Pod       One of these kids will be a sabre and my belief is one of the 3 in Blue

wild card    Zegras , Boldy and Krebs

Legare is interesting. Wish we had a 2nd round pick for him. With 45 goals in 68 games, he is an intriguing player. Known for being an aggressive forechecker who uses his size and plays with a lot of "jam". 

He's 6' 196lbs. 

Edited by LGR4GM

13 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I would also add that LA is a candidate to take a WHL guy, either Dach or Cozens.

Colorado could take really anything. They need both centers and defense. That leaves 1 of them to take either Dach, Cozens or Zegras, Turcotte. For Colorado, Zegras makes a lot of sense with his versatility. I would guess that if Byram is there, they take him. 

That leaves Chicago. Cozens/Dach also make sense because of their games. Turcotte, obviously makes sense because ROR like. They could do anything. Chicago is a good spot for Pod but let's say they don't draft him. They have taken defense high the last 2 years so I guess they pass on Byram. If they don't take Pod then that leaves their choice of the rest. I think they will be willing to take a USDP that high and I don't think they would care if they took a CHL player that high. Again they could do anything. 

NJ - Hughes

NYR - Kakko

Chi - ? Pod probably

Col - no clue, let's go with Byram

LA - Dach

Det - Zegras, Cozens, Turcotte

Buffalo - Turcotte, Cozens, Zegras

The ideal result would be to go home with either Cozens or Turcotte. 

On 4/10/2019 at 11:20 AM, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Hockey News rates Dach #4 prospect in draft.

I'm not sold on him to be honest, as i posted earlier from watching him, but i don't think he will be there at 7. Some team will take him just based on his production this season, how well he skates for a guy 6'4 and his stick handling abilities. He's a player who they say lives and breaths hockey and any of the flaws in his games i would think teams will assume they can fix with some in-house development. If he hits his potential, he'll be one of the best players taken in this draft. All it takes is one team to fall in love with him and he'll be taken quickly.

On 4/10/2019 at 9:33 PM, Ogelthorpe said:

For the draft guys around here. Can you tell me about Cole Caufield? Would he be a reach at 7? Thanks

For the US National U18 this season he scored a whooping 54 goals. Last years top scorer from that league Oliver Wahlstrom scored 48 goals (and he played more games then Cole). Caufield also broke Phil Kessel's all time goal record with the US national program. Kessel in his career scored 105 and Caufield scored 108. He's a pure goal scorer. Very good shot, quick release, smart player, does well with give-n-goes and creates a lot of offense and obviously finishes quite often. The issues with him are not only his size though (5'6) because small players like that have a greater chance then ever to play in the NHL, like Alex DeBrincat. The issue with Caufield beyond size is that he's pretty slow for a player his size/skill set. DeBrincat for example has very good acceleration and great speed. Caufield will need to work on that part of his game a lot.

The other issue is that a lot of people are worried he's a product of a system. His primary center all season has been Jack Hughes. And if not Hughes, it's Zegras. Two of the best playmakers in this draft are his centers literally for the entire season. If you don't think he's a product of one of these centers and also think when he goes to Wisconsin and then join your team he will greatly improve his speed, then you pretty much are thinking he can become DeBrincat and thus not a reach at 7. However, i highly doubt anyone in the top 10 will look at him seriously.

Don't forget how many goals Nic Baptiste was scoring when he played on Connor McDavid's wing.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Sorry for all the back to back posts but anyhow, if Sabres decide to go defense with the second pick, i think two guys of interest should be Ryan Johnson, committed to University of Minnesota, is having a excellent season in the USHL. Good skater and high hockey IQ player. His father Craig played in the NHL and is mostly known for is he was traded by the Blues to the Kings in the Wayne Gretzky trade.

The other player, who i think has fell from most first round mocks ive seen recently is Alex Vlasic, the cousin of M.E. Vlasic. He's a huge dude, but his skating is suspect and doesn't have much offense to his game. Similar to Mattias Samuelsson. He's unsure if he'll attend Boston University or play for the London Knights. And if we hire  Todd McLellan, i wonder if they will give him another Vlasic to work with?

5 hours ago, Briere48 said:

Sorry for all the back to back posts but anyhow, if Sabres decide to go defense with the second pick, i think two guys of interest should be Ryan Johnson, committed to University of Minnesota, is having a excellent season in the USHL. Good skater and high hockey IQ player. His father Craig played in the NHL and is mostly known for is he was traded by the Blues to the Kings in the Wayne Gretzky trade.

The other player, who i think has fell from most first round mocks ive seen recently is Alex Vlasic, the cousin of M.E. Vlasic. He's a huge dude, but his skating is suspect and doesn't have much offense to his game. Similar to Mattias Samuelsson. He's unsure if he'll attend Boston University or play for the London Knights. And if we hire  Todd McLellan, i wonder if they will give him another Vlasic to work with?

That right there, is a no for me. If you can't skate and aren't offensively doing things, I just don't have a spot for you. From what little I have seen of Vlasic, I think his skating is ok but he looks lumbering out there, not a lot of agility and that concerns me. 

Ville Heinola is a guy on defense I might consider with that second first. That said, I think with defense being shallow in this draft we will see some reaches. This might help some forwards slide for that pick at 26. 

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

That right there, is a no for me. If you can't skate and aren't offensively doing things, I just don't have a spot for you. From what little I have seen of Vlasic, I think his skating is ok but he looks lumbering out there, not a lot of agility and that concerns me. 

Ville Heinola is a guy on defense I might consider with that second first. That said, I think with defense being shallow in this draft we will see some reaches. This might help some forwards slide for that pick at 26. 

I agree with these two thoughts. 

You need need need to be able to skate well.  Its just as important for the D as it is for the F's.  Even a big defensive D with limited offensive upside needs to be at least an average skater to have a chance of being a top-4 D.

In Botterill's 2 drafts, he has taken 7 D and only 4 F's.  This is a good year for F's and I'd like to see Buffalo go forward-forward with these two 1st rounders.  That being said, you have to wait and see who is there when your turn is up.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

I agree with these two thoughts. 

You need need need to be able to skate well.  Its just as important for the D as it is for the F's.  Even a big defensive D with limited offensive upside needs to be at least an average skater to have a chance of being a top-4 D.

In Botterill's 2 drafts, he has taken 7 D and only 4 F's.  This is a good year for F's and I'd like to see Buffalo go forward-forward with these two 1st rounders.  That being said, you have to wait and see who is there when your turn is up.

yup, if Soderstrom was there at 26 (he wont) you take him. 

33 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Give me the guy with the best combo of speed and hockey IQ who could be available at 7.  That's who I want.

Speed and IQ... I would guess that is Zegras or Turcotte. You could also toss Boldy in the mix although I would say his speed is not super high. 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Speed and IQ... I would guess that is Zegras or Turcotte. You could also toss Boldy in the mix although I would say his speed is not super high. 

Then that is who I want.  A little concerned about Turcotte injury history but this is the way the NHL is moving IMO.  Thanks for giving me the names, I'll have to do some digging on them.

6 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Then that is who I want.  A little concerned about Turcotte injury history but this is the way the NHL is moving IMO.  Thanks for giving me the names, I'll have to do some digging on them.

I mean, Dach and Cozens have good IQ as well from what I can gather. I just think Turcotte and Zegras are better overall skaters. 

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If those two are gone, don't sleep on Krebs.  I think I like him more than most.  He has skating, speed, playmaking, can play C or W, solid 2-way game, universally acknowledged leadership qualities, just named captain of the Canadian U18 team.  His junior team was very bad, so I don't think he gets the attention he deserves.

25 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

If those two are gone, don't sleep on Krebs.  I think I like him more than most.  He has skating, speed, playmaking, can play C or W, solid 2-way game, universally acknowledged leadership qualities, just named captain of the Canadian U18 team.  His junior team was very bad, so I don't think he gets the attention he deserves.

I love Krebs. He outscored the next player on his team by 16 points and the 3rd best by 27 points. His play doesn't but his situation reminds me of Monahan. Monahan had 38 more pts than the 2nd guy on his team. 

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2019-nhl-draft/player-profiles/Peyton-Krebs

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2019/04/10/peyton-krebs-scouting-report/

https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2019-nhl-draft/2019-draft-profile-c-peyton-krebs/

18 hours ago, Briere48 said:

For the US National U18 this season he scored a whooping 54 goals. Last years top scorer from that league Oliver Wahlstrom scored 48 goals (and he played more games then Cole). Caufield also broke Phil Kessel's all time goal record with the US national program. Kessel in his career scored 105 and Caufield scored 108. He's a pure goal scorer. Very good shot, quick release, smart player, does well with give-n-goes and creates a lot of offense and obviously finishes quite often. The issues with him are not only his size though (5'6) because small players like that have a greater chance then ever to play in the NHL, like Alex DeBrincat. The issue with Caufield beyond size is that he's pretty slow for a player his size/skill set. DeBrincat for example has very good acceleration and great speed. Caufield will need to work on that part of his game a lot.

The other issue is that a lot of people are worried he's a product of a system. His primary center all season has been Jack Hughes. And if not Hughes, it's Zegras. Two of the best playmakers in this draft are his centers literally for the entire season. If you don't think he's a product of one of these centers and also think when he goes to Wisconsin and then join your team he will greatly improve his speed, then you pretty much are thinking he can become DeBrincat and thus not a reach at 7. However, i highly doubt anyone in the top 10 will look at him seriously.

Don't forget how many goals Nic Baptiste was scoring when he played on Connor McDavid's wing.

.....only 10.

2 hours ago, Briere48 said:

Wasn't he on McDavid's wing in 2013-14 after he was traded to Erie? And scored 26 goals rest of the season and 12 in the playoffs?

No. 

Traded in Nov. '14 when McDavid hurt his hand in a fight.

Played with DeBrincat and Dermott for a bit until McD came back. I didn't add in the playoffs so it is more than 10. But only 10 during the time of the regular season.

He had 45g in Sudbury the year before in 65 games.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.