Draft lottery day thread 8PM NBCSN

#freejame

3 minutes ago, Swedesessed said:

Also, I recall the year of the McDavid lottery is when the NHL was so eager to change the percentages.

I would bet thousands that if New York and Chicago were tanking that year and not Buffalo and Edmonton, the league would not been as eager to make those quick changes.

Between the crease rule for No Goal and the Sabres tanking for McDavid, it amazes me how fast the league works when something could benefit a franchise like Buffalo. 'Suddenly', they are prompt and quick!

They didn't change them that year. They did it for 2016 and the NHL owners had to vote on it. 

40 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't think they should. I was just offering an incentive to keep games competitive that last month. 

It's called luck. We had an 18% chance of Dahlin, if that is lottery we win, I can live with that. 

It’s not luck. Those are the odds. We won 1 out of five. Pretty dern close to 18%, no? Actually, we beat the odds.?

1 hour ago, Claude_Verret said:

Thinking its rigged goes hand in hand with not understanding basic probability. 

Don't think it's rigged, just think it's a stupid idea to fix a non-problem that hurts a team's ability to build through the draft.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Swedesessed said:

The sooner most of us realize that Gary Bettman and his cronies want the worst for the Buffalo Sabres, the better off we will all be.

I've come to accept it for what it is. For the Sabres to be great, it will take efforts to get over hurdles that other franchises do not face.

And exactly why would they want this?

Did Gary Bettman's mother once slip on a sidewalk while in Buffalo?

Perhaps Gary Bettman once choked on a chicken wing bone and thought to himself, it's all Buffalo's fault.

Perhaps he hates the smell of cereal.

Maybe he lost a lot of money betting on the Bills in the Super Bowl and is holding a grudge?

He's mad Mighty Taco wouldn't expand to NYC?

He hates kimmelweck rolls because the salt is bad for his high blood pressure?

I'm really curious why he'd have it out for Buffalo.

8 minutes ago, jad1 said:

Don't think it's rigged, just think it's a stupid idea to fix a non-problem that hurts a team's ability to build through the draft.

I agree. I think they went too far to combat tanking with this current system, but dems the rules for now anyway.

While moving up last night would have been nice, it wasnt crucial to the rebuild IMO. We already got what we needed out of tanking twice (franchise center #9) and sucking and having lady luck on our side (franchise defenseman #26).  Those two pieces are the hardest to obtain in building a contender for the long run. The rest of the rebuild has been cocked up to this point obviously, but Botts can still get the pieces required without being a lottery team, let alone finishing DFL.

Just now, Claude_Verret said:

I agree. I think they went too far to combat tanking with this current system, but dems the rules for now anyway.

While moving up last night would have been nice, it wasnt crucial to the rebuild IMO. We already got what we needed out of tanking twice (franchise center #9) and sucking and having lady luck on our side (franchise defenseman #26).  Those two pieces are the hardest to obtain in building a contender for the long run. The rest of the rebuild has been cocked up to this point obviously, but Botts can still get the pieces required without being a lottery team, let alone finishing DFL.

I agree.  This draft wasn't going to fix the team's immediate issues, so I'm looking more foward to Botterill using FA and trades to make the team competitive next season.  Hiring the right coach is also key.

18 hours ago, SDS said:

I didn’t realize that Jack and Sam were hanging up their skates. Too bad. I figured they had at least another decade. 

That of course isnt the point.Its what you lose during the tank process.Losing is like a bad virus..its hard to get rid of.

19 hours ago, SwampD said:

I've been told it's the only way to break the cycle of the race to ninth.

Oh, wait. I guess it did that.

indeed it did

19 hours ago, steveoath said:

Why don't they televise the actual draw, instead of the card reveal?,

There's a lot rule reading that needs to go on for legal reasons, and then the actual drawing process is more complex than just pulling a team's ball.  Plus, there's the potential of a long series of redraws, especially for the third pick (the combinations for the #1 and #2 winners become redraws -- note: in the 2015 draft, only the #1 pick was selected, so that was less of an issue.)

Edited by carpandean

1 hour ago, carpandean said:

There's a lot rule reading that needs to go on for legal reasons, and then the actual drawing process is more complex than just pulling a team's ball.  Plus, there's the potential of a long series of redraws, especially for the third pick (the combinations for the #1 and #2 winners become redraws -- note: in the 2015 draft, only the #1 pick was selected, so that was less of an issue.)

I'd imagine that there has to be some sort of inspection of the balls (feel free to laugh) each time before they go back into the machine for a redraw.  The whole process probably approaches the length a movie as opposed to some 30 minute tv special.

The one thing I really wish they'd get rid of is the one dead combination that isn't assigned to any team.  I realize it cleans up the calculation of the probabilities, but really, just give that one extra one to the last place team.  That combo is very unlikely to pop up, but why even have it as a possibility?

21 hours ago, LTS said:

Perhaps Gary Bettman once choked on a chicken wing bone and thought to himself, it's all Buffalo's fault.

Maybe he lost a lot of money betting on the Bills in the Super Bowl and is holding a grudge?

Pick up Bob Swados' book Counsel in the Crease. He was the legal eagle from day one of the Sabres franchise. He tells a story of the reception he got after the Sabres won Game 1 in Dallas in '99. Personally I think it's evidence that Swados was paranoid and not that the league wanted the Sabres to lose. Also, Swados wrote it as a very old man and it's got some serious inaccuracies.

50 minutes ago, LTS said:

Just a circle though, definitely not a sphere.

It's a wheel. Of cheese. And it's delicious.

22 hours ago, LTS said:

I'm going with the chicken bone one, anyone have a "Bettman swallows the Bone" meme?

On 4/9/2019 at 9:55 PM, SDS said:

I just looked back at this comment because TSN has a story posted about.  I'm not quite sure why they do, especially since the number isn't even correct.  They drafted first after his rookie year, but they didn't win that lottery.

But really, what this whole thing boils down to is that Hall has pretty much always been on crappy teams.  I'm not so sure it's something I'd want to draw attention to.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.