Updated Todd McLellan OUT of the Running Sabres HC Position

Brawndo

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I take it you're one of these, "Don't like it here? Move to France!" people.

Not at all but frankly if my feelings were what they are expressing I wouldn't be here. Personally I could care less. Just asking an honest question. Sorry that seems to bother you, PA. Maybe some postings make me think I should "move to France". Seems you're not giving me the same benefits you're giving them in expressing their opinions. 

Edited by Radar

On 4/13/2019 at 1:16 PM, Radar said:

Wow! Why are you here then?

So wait, you are here exclusively to create false realities and then believe in those because they make you feel better?  All combined with an inability to distinguish between that which is and that which is what you wish it to be?

I don't see any value to that sort of approach to a given topic at all.

Would it be possible for the Mods to create a "Booster Club" sub forum for posters like this?  You can all congregate there and exchange visions for how we are going to win the Cup next year.

Meanwhile, outside the cave, the rest of us can focus on getting it right and engaging in reasoned discussion grounded in reality.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

So wait, you are here exclusively to create false realities and then believe in those because they make you feel better?  All combined with an inability to distinguish between that which is and that which is what you wish it to be?

Would it be possible for the Mods to create a "Booster Club" sub forum for posters like this?  You can all congregate there and exchange visions for how we are going to win the Cup next year.

Meanwhile, outside the cave, the rest of us can focus on getting it right and engaging in reasoned discussion grounded in reality.

Get a life.

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

What a terrible take this is.  Another is a string of a few of them from you.

2 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

Call me crazy, but I don't think the main objective of being a fan of any sports team is to enjoy take pride in and soak up all of the things  that make you miserable about it.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

Alright let me ground you in reality. Players and coaches do like it here. This isn't most desirable destination but it is far from being the armpit of the NHL. Part of that is location. Nothing like living 2 hours from Toronto without paying for it. Not to mention everyone loves hockey here. Not to mention the training and facilities are top of the line since the Pegulas upgraded them. Add to that the recent UFAs we have acquired.

If this was such an armpit why do players keep coming here? Okposo, ERod, Pilut, Nelson, hell even Moulson came back. Pominville talks about how much he loves it here. Coaches will come here too. Why? Because when there is only 31 jobs available, most jobs are attractive. We didn't offer McLellan so he went elsewhere. Babcock leveraged us for Toronto, them's the breaks. That isn't some armpit, because Buffalo, BS. That's just business and the price of doing business in the NHL is sometimes you will lose out on a player or a coach. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

LGR, you forget to mention the number of NHL and NFL players, coaches, etc., that make Buffalo home after their involvement with the Sabres and Bills ends.  Scotty Bowman lives here.  Jim Kelly lives here after saying he'd never play for Buffalo.  Lots of ex-Sabres make their homes in Buffalo, many of which work for the Academy of Hockey, which is making Buffalo an amateur hockey center as well.

33 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

LGR, you forget to mention the number of NHL and NFL players, coaches, etc., that make Buffalo home after their involvement with the Sabres and Bills ends.  Scotty Bowman lives here.  Jim Kelly lives here after saying he'd never play for Buffalo.  Lots of ex-Sabres make their homes in Buffalo, many of which work for the Academy of Hockey, which is making Buffalo an amateur hockey center as well.

Rene Robert and Danny Gare are always at the Ride for Roswell

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Alright let me ground you in reality. Players and coaches do like it here. This isn't most desirable destination but it is far from being the armpit of the NHL. Part of that is location. Nothing like living 2 hours from Toronto without paying for it. Not to mention everyone loves hockey here. Not to mention the training and facilities are top of the line since the Pegulas upgraded them. Add to that the recent UFAs we have acquired.

If this was such an armpit why do players keep coming here? Okposo, ERod, Pilut, Nelson, hell even Moulson came back. Pominville talks about how much he loves it here. Coaches will come here too. Why? Because when there is only 31 jobs available, most jobs are attractive. We didn't offer McLellan so he went elsewhere. Babcock leveraged us for Toronto, them's the breaks. That isn't some armpit, because Buffalo, BS. That's just business and the price of doing business in the NHL is sometimes you will lose out on a player or a coach. 

Not meaning to disagree with bulk of your post. But Okposo and Moulson are/were here in part because they were offered crazy contracts. Not sure Erod Pilut and Nelson are high end free agents that were in high demand. Players will come here, but I think the stars need to align a bit to get top end players.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Not meaning to disagree with bulk of your post. But Okposo and Moulson are/were here in part because they were offered crazy contracts. Not sure Erod Pilut and Nelson are high end free agents that were in high demand. Players will come here, but I think the stars need to align a bit to get top end players.

Neither Molson nor Okposo were offered more then market rate.

Pilut was high end pick up.

Other two weren’t.

21 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

My ignore list expands.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I would add Marcel Dionne who never played for the Sabres made his home here for 20 years 

1 hour ago, klos1963 said:

What high end players have shunned Buffalo to go to a new team? Tavares was always going to Toronto or staying on the Isle. I can't really think of anyone else. 

23 minutes ago, kas23 said:

So, remember when McLellan to the Kings “could be as early as tomorrow morning”?

Apparently he hadn’t even formally interviewed with the Kings when this was reported. It’s annoying how easily sports reporters (okay, all reporters) get so easily used.

4 hours ago, tom webster said:

Neither Molson nor Okposo were offered more then market rate.

Pilut was high end pick up.

Other two weren’t.

They are two terrible team contracts - maybe okposo might have gotten that contract elsewhere , but Moulson was way overpaid.

Jury is out on Pilut.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

What high end players have shunned Buffalo to go to a new team? Tavares was always going to Toronto or staying on the Isle. I can't really think of anyone else. 

We'll probably never know, but how often do we hear of negotiations with high end players. I'm not putting Tavares in that category. My guess is agents tell the Sabres not to bother.

I may be wrong, I hope I am. Let's see how we do on this list of UFA's this off season. Let's sign Skinner first.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/the-top-30-unrestricted-free-agents-of-2019

6 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

They are two terrible team contracts - maybe okposo might have gotten that contract elsewhere , but Moulson was way overpaid.

Jury is out on Pilut.

Question isn’t how they turn out but what situation was at time.

Moulson had two other comparable offers, Okposo was one of top free agents of his class, Pilut just won best defenseman in his league.

There is no doubt first two ended up terrible contracts, Pilut’d was exact same contract he would have gotten anywhere.

Well once again, the "re-treads" are going elsewhere and our choices are now even more limited. Who's left? (Better question: Who's left that may actually want to coach here?) Wow, I can't help thinking we've missed the bus again! No more Quenneville, McLellan and now Vigneault. Boucher anyone? Tippett? Does Chris Taylor move up the food chain? Now I worry once again who our coaching selection is. I was optimistic once again heading into next season, now, not so much.

• SDS locked this topic