Updated Todd McLellan OUT of the Running Sabres HC Position

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

Vesey, Petersen, Babcock, maybe McLellan?  This organization is terrible at closing...

Or maybe it’s simply unable to overcome insurmountable obstacles in the form of more attractive alternatives.  

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Chris Taylor seems to be doing an excellent job with the Amerks.

On the other hand, he has never been behind an NHL bench as a head coach or an assistant. Hell, he’s only been on one for 140ish games as a player. His head coaching experience at any level amounts to his 150-something games in Rochester. He’s never won a playoff game. Anywhere.

I know coach hiring is a subjective exercise, but by most objective criteria Taylor shouldn’t even be a candidate.

This. I'd prefer our coach has more NHL experience than Jack Eichel.

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Or maybe it’s simply unable to overcome insurmountable obstacles in the form of more attractive alternatives.  

Yep, Buffalo is not an attractive destination right now. It's not horrible, but certainly not one people would have as a preference.

14 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

I think I would fine with Tippett also, but I believe he is spoken for by Seattle.

I think he is just an adviser at this time, probably going to get an official job once they get to the expansion draft.

He may be itching to get back in the saddle now, if the right deal is offered.

2 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I think he is just an adviser at this time, probably going to get an official job once they get to the expansion draft.

He may be itching to get back in the saddle now, if the right deal is offered.

Perhaps, it’s worth an ask, but I think he is committed there.  It has got to be appealing for a coach to be able to advise on the building of his team from scratch.

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Don’t forget Butcher. And let’s throw in Halak, and pro bass shops. ?

If we’re going to include Butcher, we may as well list every single free agent in the history of the game who signed somewhere else. It’s not like they ever held his rights. 

13 hours ago, klos1963 said:

Yep, Buffalo is not an attractive destination right now. It's not horrible, but certainly not one people would have as a preference.

I don't know about that; our core (insofar as we have one) and where we are in our lifecycle as a team is favorable compared to many organizations.

A good example is LA, since they keep coming up in the McLellan talk.  That franchise is in a much worse state of affairs right now than Buffalo.  They are likely to get worse before they get better.

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Cascade Youth said:

Vesey, Petersen, Babcock, maybe McLellan?  This organization is terrible at closing...

Please stop with this stuff.  They never made McLellan an offer.  

Competition in the market, every team has losses.  Carolina lost Vesey and Skinner and others ... yet there they are back. 

13 hours ago, klos1963 said:

Front office stability and winning ... that will alway be attractive.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

Perspective is important.  Buffalo fans: great.  But the hard truth about the Buffalo Sabres:  the armpit of the NHL for virtually 20 years now.  And EVERYONE KNOWS it!  It’s the single most disfunctionally run and terrible culture in the NHL of any team... especially since the summer of 07.  4 playoff appearances in 20 years.  By sheer accident you can be better by random odds.  That takes extra effort to be THAT BAD!  If I’m anybody (coaches or players) it would take a lot to come here. 

Edited by Gatorman0519

The wording of McKenzie’s Tweet about McLellan was very calculated as to not embarrass either party.

They talked. It wasn’t the best fit. They are moving on.

We know Botterill had interest. We know McLellan had interest. Why their interest didn’t align is utter speculation but it will be interpreted in whatever way the internet wants.

17 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The wording of McKenzie’s Tweet about McLellan was very calculated as to not embarrass either party.

They talked. It wasn’t the best fit. They are moving on.

We know Botterill had interest. We know McLellan had interest. Why their interest didn’t align is utter speculation but it will be interpreted in whatever way the internet wants.

Case in point.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Some of you need to get over it. This Buffalo can't get ppl bs that's proven wrong so often it's not funny. We didn't offer Mclellan a deal from what I've read. LA did, so he went to LA. Get over it. 

16 hours ago, Cascade Youth said:

I can literally do this for every organization. Who gives a *****? 

Pilut, Erod, Okposo, Botterill all came here. So much for being bad at closing. 

1 hour ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Perspective is important.  Buffalo fans: great.  But the hard truth about the Buffalo Sabres:  the armpit of the NHL for virtually 20 years now.  And EVERYONE KNOWS it!  It’s the single most disfunctionally run and terrible culture in the NHL of any team... especially since the summer of 07.  4 playoff appearances in 20 years.  By sheer accident you can be better by random odds.  That takes extra effort to be THAT BAD!  If I’m anybody (coaches or players) it would take a lot to come here. 

Bills the same thing exc worse. NHL The only league in the world with a 50% chance of making the playoffs.

You are correct about it taking effort to suck so badly. They should just take whatever decisions pop into their brains...and do the opposite. That would solve the problems.

2 minutes ago, calti said:

Bills the same thing exc worse. NHL The only league in the world with a 50% chance of making the playoffs.

You are correct about it taking effort to suck so badly. They should just take whatever decisions pop into their brains...and do the opposite. That would solve the problems.

1 hour ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Wow! Why are you here then?

4 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

I don't know about that; our core (insofar as we have one) and where we are in our lifecycle as a team is favorable compared to many organizations.

A good example is LA, since they keep coming up in the McLellan talk.  That franchise is in a much worse state of affairs right now than Buffalo.  They are likely to get worse before they get better.

I don't know enough about LA to argue, but they do have quality goaltending , which helps a lot. Just because the Sabres don't know how to build a winning team doesn't mean LA is in the same boat.

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Please stop with this stuff.  They never made McLellan an offer.  

Competition in the market, every team has losses.  Carolina lost Vesey and Skinner and others ... yet there they are back. 

Front office stability and winning ... that will alway be attractive.  

Hopefully we can get there someday.

• Like (+1) 1