Updated Todd McLellan OUT of the Running Sabres HC Position

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Does anybody fit that profile?

Anyone else?

I hear Scotty Bowman has a house in Buffalo.  And Rick Dudley.  And Lindy Ruff.  Get the band back together!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Billznut said:

Well it is being reported he was NOT given an offer by Buffalo. He has one from LA. Just in case you’re trying to dispute that also. 

? Been saying it for over a week now. You have to think if they go with experience, AV has a very real shot considering the closeness he and Jbot will share with team Canada. If they choose to go with someone new, I’d expect Taylor to be the guy. 

Are you certain he has an offer from LA,? just read on TSN Pierre LeBrun says he's heading to LA for his interview. Can't imagine the offer precedes the interview.

37 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Since JBOT selected Vigneault to coach Team Canada for the IIHF World Championship, the intrigue increases.  Although he did select Ruff as an assistant as well.

I said it before, although it would probably never happen, we could do worst than hiring Ruff. I know not many would agree.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Billznut said:

Well it is being reported he was NOT given an offer by Buffalo. He has one from LA. Just in case you’re trying to dispute that also. 

? Been saying it for over a week now. You have to think if they go with experience, AV has a very real shot considering the closeness he and Jbot will share with team Canada. If they choose to go with someone new, I’d expect Taylor to be the guy. 

I would go with Taylor in that case as well.

1 hour ago, nucci said:

Or McLellan told him he didn't want the job

I wonder if something didn't happen to make Botterill realize he was being played for a better offer in LA, and when he caught wind of that, he formally cut off the interviewing process with McLellan.

The specifics of how that would have worked could have played out in many different ways.

Just a guess though.

I did not feel strongly about McLellan one way or the other, so this is no big deal to me.

I just hope we land an experienced NHL head coach as I think that is what is needed at this time with this group.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So we are looking for guys with NHL ast experience, AHL HC experience, at least 4 years of NHL HC experience and the Sabres will be at least their 2nd NHL HC job.

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Does anybody fit that profile?

Anyone else?

Todd Richards, John Stevens, Mike Yeo, Jacques Martin

Edited by Curtisp5286

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Honestly I think Taylor would be a good choice. He's done a great job with the Amerks. Why not let him coach his charges in the NHL? I feel like trying to land a big name coach will only lead to more embarrassment.

While I have said I would prefer experience I'm not opposed to hiring Taylor if we're not going with NHL head coaching experience. He's, by all reports, done a good job in Rochester and why would we not consider him?

Chris Taylor seems to be doing an excellent job with the Amerks.

On the other hand, he has never been behind an NHL bench as a head coach or an assistant. Hell, he’s only been on one for 140ish games as a player. His head coaching experience at any level amounts to his 150-something games in Rochester. He’s never won a playoff game. Anywhere.

I know coach hiring is a subjective exercise, but by most objective criteria Taylor shouldn’t even be a candidate.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Tondas said:

Since JBOT selected Vigneault to coach Team Canada for the IIHF World Championship, the intrigue increases.  Although he did select Ruff as an assistant as well.

I'm good with Vigneault also. I know many here aren't, but I'd take him to coach this club. Guy Boucher anyone? He's fiery! What's Paul MacLean doing now? Is he available? (alright Maclean I might be joking about, but Ottawa went to the Conference final with him didn't they?)

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

It was Harrington, asking his kid questions at the press conference, wasn’t it?

You guys are going to regret it when Vigneault declines and we’re stuck with Jacques Martin.

And I’m not using Martin for effect. He’s an experienced head coach who knows the current league as an assistant, has a history of providing defensive structure, and he has ties with Botterill from Pittsburgh and Sexton from Pittsburgh and Ottawa.

Totally forgot about Martin. So many ex-Ottawa coaches (and ex-Sabre coaches the way things are going)

By the way, Torts, Trotz, Laviolette and Babcock all have chances to become the first coach since Bowman to win a Cup with a second franchise.

I forgot Claude Julien on my earlier list.  It's 14 coaches and 10 of the 14 had coached at least one previous NHL team.  Julien won his Cup with his 3rd team in his 8th season as an NHL HC.  He also coached in the AHL.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Chris Taylor seems to be doing an excellent job with the Amerks.

On the other hand, he has never been behind an NHL bench as a head coach or an assistant. Hell, he’s only been on one for 140ish games as a player. His head coaching experience at any level amounts to his 150-something games in Rochester. He’s never won a playoff game. Anywhere.

I know coach hiring is a subjective exercise, but by most objective criteria Taylor shouldn’t even be a candidate.

I cant say I've concerned myself terribly with who they hire, and I was open to the idea of Taylor, although I definitely have a substantial preference for an experienced NHL coach to lead this particular roster, but having it laid out like you just did, I want no part of Chris Taylor as the head coach of this team.  He's got as much growing to do as Rasmus.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Because you are much more likely according to the last 20 years in the NHL to win a Cup with a coach who has 2-4 past NHL HC coaching jobs, then a rookie coach on his 1st NHL HC job, even if he has AHL HC experience.

Well yea, this tends to happen when hiring practices lean heavily towards coaches who have coached before. If at any given time there are twice as many active head coaches on their 2nd+ go 'round than rookies, of course more Cup winners will be those who have previous HC experience. That doesn't necessarily mean they're winning because of their previous experience. 

Chris Taylor is the coach you promote after Housley's replacement gets fired. Not before imo.

He's had 2 good years with Roch, but its not like they've been winning titles down there or that he comes with a pedigree of experience or results.

Taylor would feel like Rolston all over again & thats not what we need right now imo.

But given how JBots fired PH, i'd have to believe that he already had a replacement in mind. Perhaps not officially set in stone but at least an idea of who he'd like to bring in. A responsible GM just doesnt fire their coach without 1st thinking of who could replace them... at least i hope so.

But if he picks Taylor I think that just might be it for me & i'll throw in the towel. It'd be like we're right where we were years ago.