Updated Todd McLellan OUT of the Running Sabres HC Position

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No, the thought crossed my mind but he was eating dinner it looked like with what I assume were friends or maybe some scouts, hard to know. I try not to bother anyone like that if I see them out an about. I have said hi to Jason at the prospect tourney we have. 

Liger if you routinely have the chance to set our draft right with our GM by God man take the chance 

Edited by WildCard

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No Jbot isn't giving a 5 year deal to protect himself, he'll be fired regardless if the team doesn't improve substantially over the next two years.  The 5 year deal seems pretty standard.  That said you are correct that TM or whomever he hires will be let go if Jbot is fired.  It's very rare that the coach outlives the GM.

This should mean the perceived security of the GM may be an important consideration on whether he wants to sign with a team.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

No, the thought crossed my mind but he was eating dinner it looked like with what I assume were friends or maybe some scouts, hard to know. I try not to bother anyone like that if I see them out an about. I have said hi to Jason at the prospect tourney we have. 

I’m glad you have some common sense, decorum and a sense of respect and decency. I would have been the same way.

its amazing how some fans (fanatics) don’t possess that. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I believe it. People here would still ***** talk Brett Hull in the airport. 

I actually had a good conversation with Hull at DFW Airport about a year after the no-goal thing.  I talked to him about it.

Buffalo was extremely slow in its most recent GM and HC searches (Botterill, Housley). I get that.... both were new and kind of represented an organizational re-structure.

But Botterill has already interviewed numerous of candidates before he hired Housley... and by all accounts, he made up his mind to fire Housley after a string of shutout losses in early March. So why wouldn’t he have already been working behind the scenes long ago.... or at worst, had an extremely short-list. To the point where it’s just about dollars/terms.

Other teams are able to dump coaches and hire within hours (or the next day). So what the hell is the hang up here?

Unless he’s waiting for the playoffs to unfold. That’s the only thing that makes sense.

Surely they aren’t setting themselves up for another Babcock unfolding.

Edited by Die Hard

10 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Buffalo was extremely slow in its most recent GM and HC searches (Botterill, Housley). I get that.... both were new and kind of represented an organizational re-structure.

But Botterill has already interviewed numerous of candidates before he hired Housley... and by all accounts, he made up his mind to fire Housley after a string of shutout losses in early March. So why wouldn’t he have already been working behind the scenes long ago.... or at worst, had an extremely short-list. To the point where it’s just about dollars/terms.

Other teams are able to dump coaches and hire within hours (or the next day). So what the hell is the hang up here?

Unless he’s waiting for the playoffs to unfold. That’s the only thing that makes sense.

Just because one is able to do something quickly does not mean it should be done quickly every time. Situations are always different. 

There are a lot of things that make sense here, don't choose to ignore them.

• Like (+1) 2

On one hand, you can argue McLellan's manager leaked the Sabres interest to the Press to help up the ante.

He's pulling a Babcock.  

He's using Buffalo to get a sweeter deal from LA, where he wanted to go all along.  

Maybe!  

But on the other hand, I actually think we have a much more attractive roster situation right now than LA.  

LA is pretty much at the worst possible spot on the franchise cycle, and it should be a while before they are good again.

But LA is not Buffalo and if raw location plays into it, LA wins.  McLellan has spent most his NHL career out west anyway.

Not sure how to judge this one.

16 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

They fired Housley 4 days ago.  The reason Florida hired Quenville so fast is because Talon and Q already have an extensive relationship from working together at GM/coach in the past.

Once again, it's been 4 days.  It's ok.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Curtisp5286 said:

They fired Housley 4 days ago.  The reason Florida hired Quenville so fast is because Talon and Q already have an extensive relationship from working together at GM/coach in the past.

Once again, it's been 4 days.  It's ok.

Have you noticed Botterill’s MO to slow play things? Even thought he had extensive knowledge of the team before he arrived.... he decided to waste an entire 1st season to assess the roster.  

Then despite his door-slamming fit mid-season.... he didn’t make any immediate changes and waited until the off-season. And waited until the last second before getting minimal returns for ROR. And Kane for that matter, at the trade deadline.

And despite losing Berglund mid-season and the team needs some infusion into the roster.... stood pat and let the team decline.

It was 2 months ago that he was talking about how he was happy with Housley and how the season progressed.... and then he looks like a fool for having to fire him — which I was all onboard with BTW.

I dunno.... I’m just not inclined to give Botterill the benefit of the doubt here.

Botterill has the Pegula’s money here. He can pay a top salary, offer a good young foundation, and salary cap space. JBots.... just go and get your guy already.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Have you noticed Botterill’s MO to slow play things? Even thought he had extensive knowledge of the team before he arrived.... he decided to waste an entire 1st season to assess the roster.  

Then despite his door-slamming fit mid-season.... he didn’t make any immediate changes and waited until the off-season. And waited until the last second before getting minimal returns for ROR. And Kane for that matter, at the trade deadline.

And despite losing Berglund mid-season and the team needs some infusion into the roster.... stood pat and let the team decline.

It was 2 months ago that he was talking about how he was happy with Housley and how the season progressed.... and then he looks like a fool for having to fire him — which I was all onboard with BTW.

I dunno.... I’m just not inclined to give Botterill the benefit of the doubt here.

Botterill has the Pegula’s money here. He can pay a top salary, offer a good young foundation, and salary cap space. JBots.... just go and get your guy already.

Ok, and what do you do if your guy says that he wants to take this week with his family, which should be all about his son, go home and then make a decision?  Throw an extra $2M at him and tell him you need a decision in the next 12 hours? 

3 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

Ok, and what do you do if your guy says that he wants to take this week with his family, which should be all about his son, go home and then make a decision?  Throw an extra $2M at him and tell him you need a decision in the next 12 hours? 

If McCellean was his guy.... a decision that should have been made a while ago - for instance, media reports that he had already contacted Quenneville earlier in the year - than that contract should have been offered immediately after Housley was fired.  Because the parameters would have already been discussed.... and he should have already known if he was on board.

Look, he visited with the Sabres DURING this week right? Even during his son’s tournament. He just needed to put a pen to paper. *If* he was the guy. Botterill could still give him the week off ?

Look, I’m not upset. I’m not even a fan of McLellan. However, if McClellan is Botterill’s guy.... this is NOT a good look. 

However, Botterill is very discreet. So I wouldn’t be so sure that he is....and that it’s more likely he’s waiting for a team to get knocked out. If that’s the case, I’m fine with it all.

We’ll find it either way... by his hire. 

But if he’s ONLY still at a point in his process where he’s vetting candidates..... that’s very disconcerting.

Ya I'm fine with this playing out a little longer.  I hope he doesn't decide for a couple of weeks.  That way we can see if some playoff team who gets bounced in the playoffs fires someone.  Who know Cooper's Lightening lost last night ?  I'm joking by the way, no chance he gets fired.

1 minute ago, Die Hard said:

If McCellean was his guy.... a decision that should have been made a while ago - for instance, media reports that he had already contacted Quenneville earlier in the year - than that contract should have been offered immediately after Housley was fired.  Because the parameters would have already been discussed.... and he should have already known if he was on board.

Look, he visited with the Sabres DURING this week right? Even during his son’s tournament. He just needed to put a pen to paper. *If* he was the guy. Botterill could still give him the week off ?

Look, I’m not upset. I’m not even a fan of McLellan. However, if McClellan is Botterill’s guy.... this is NOT a good look. 

However, Botterill is very discreet. So I wouldn’t be so sure that he is....and that it’s more likely he’s waiting for a team to get knocked out. If that’s the case, I’m fine with it all.

But if he’s ONLY still at a point in his process where he’s vetting candidates..... that’s very disconcerting.

I honestly don't give two hoots how this 'looks.'  The franchise has been a mess for 8 years now but there is still a good enough core here now that I think we can turn it around sooner than later.  I don't care what it looks like, this HAS to work out whoever it ends up being.  Whether it takes 4 more hours or 4 more weeks just make sure you get the right friggen guy.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

I think that you have unrealistic expectations for how quickly a head coach hiring process should play out.

5 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Ya I'm fine with this playing out a little longer.  I hope he doesn't decide for a couple of weeks.  That way we can see if some playoff team who gets bounced in the playoffs fires someone.  Who know Cooper's Lightening lost last night ?  I'm joking by the way, no chance he gets fired.

I honestly don't give two hoots how this 'looks.'  The franchise has been a mess for 8 years now but there is still a good enough core here now that I think we can turn it around sooner than later.  I don't care what it looks like, this HAS to work out whoever it ends up being.  Whether it takes 4 more hours or 4 more weeks just make sure you get the right friggen guy.

Agreed. However, as I said previously, Botterill has vetted a LOT of candidates by now. Including prior to his first hire.

A long delay... and the continued vetting of candidates.... may indicate that Botterill doesn’t know who the hell that friggen guy is! 

If he knew he was going to relieve Housley since early March.... what the heck has he been doing? How does he not know who his guy IS by now?

8 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

I think that you have unrealistic expectations for how quickly a head coach hiring process should play out.

They’re not my expectations. I’ve been a sports fan (virtually all professional sports) for nearly 40 years. I just notice patterns ?  Let’s not pretend that the pros have it all figured out.

Coaches get extensions and then fired the next season. OBJ got a HUGE contract last year... and the team traded him the following year and ate a HUGE penalty. Professionals do stupid crap and make mistakes all the time. It’s not always sensical and calculated. ?

Edited by Die Hard

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

On one hand, you can argue McLellan's manager leaked the Sabres interest to the Press to help up the ante.

He's pulling a Babcock.  

He's using Buffalo to get a sweeter deal from LA, where he wanted to go all along.  

Maybe!  

But on the other hand, I actually think we have a much more attractive roster situation right now than LA.  

LA is pretty much at the worst possible spot on the franchise cycle, and it should be a while before they are good again.

But LA is not Buffalo and if raw location plays into it, LA wins.  McLellan has spent most his NHL career out west anyway.

Not sure how to judge this one.

I wouldn't underestimate the Rob Blake connection.  Blake played for McLellan in SJ.  Knowing your boss before you take the job matters (just like Q and Tallon).

1 hour ago, Die Hard said:

Did you ever think that McLellan hasn't made up his mind yet? That negotiations are still ongoing?  It's not that farfetched a thought.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Did you ever think that McLellan hasn't made up his mind yet? That negotiations are still ongoing?  It's not that farfetched a thought.

He could be considering the increase Buffalo has offered wondering if it's too good to be true, and wants to get the lay of the land before seriously considering it.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Yes, that’s a possibility. But if I’m interviewing MY GUY, and he needs time to think about it or convince himself to take the job - or weighing it against another job — then he NEVER should have been my guy.

Quenneville outright said NO. Perfect! Thank you! They reached out to gauge interest BEFORE they fired Housley. Why didn’t they do that for McLellan (he was unemployed too!)? At this point, it shouldn’t be a matter if he’s interested or not. It should just be a matter of putting pen to paper.

If reporters are to be believed.... it’s almost as if Botterill has begun his coaching search on Tuesday after firing Housley. That would be absolutely ridiculous, if so.

Edited by Die Hard

15 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

If reporters are to be believed.... it’s almost as if Botterill has begun his coaching search on Tuesday after firing Housley. That would be absolutely ridiculous, if so.

You are reaching.  We don’t know what Botterill has or hasn’t done.

• Like (+1) 1