Updated Todd McLellan OUT of the Running Sabres HC Position

Brawndo

32 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I don’t agree at all.  

As I mentioned, this is fairly likely to be his last contract.  He has hopefully another 30-40 years to live, plus kids and grandchildren to think about.  Another $7MM on the contract, plus another, say, $1.5MM in taxes/cost of living, is a major factor.  

(And since we should be referring to after-tax dollars, it’s an even bigger factor.)

And it doesn't matter what you already have.  Basic human nature is to want more.  The kid pulling carts at Walmart wants more money and so does Pegula.

19 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Agreed.  It’s also crazy if 5 year deals for coaches is the standard.  Sure it happens but what percentage of coaches make it a full five years.  I doubt it’s even 50/50.  Coaches should get 3 years max.  But as we’ve said, there’s no salary cap on coaches and it’s pegula bucks so here we are.

For coaches with experience and a good track record, I think 5 is more normal.  Inexperienced coaches usually get less I think.  Wasn’t Housley on a 3 year contract?

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

I don’t think his agent would leak this information to the press. He wouldn’t have to. Behind closed doors, he’s allowed to share contract information with any team he wishes. He probably already faxed the Sabres contract to the Kings. 

My point was that if the report is accurate it had to come from someone on the inside with direct knowledge. The agent or one of the teams. Why was this info. leaked?

I saw a great point on twitter about McLellan: what if he’s already set on LA like reports suggest but hasn’t committed because he’s in Buffalo. Probably don’t want to be in the city you just told to piss off.

3 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I saw a great point on twitter about McLellan: what if he’s already set on LA like reports suggest but hasn’t committed because he’s in Buffalo. Probably don’t want to be in the city you just told to piss off.

I really doubt Buffalo fans or anyone in that city would treat him negatively 

Yeah, that's not a consideration. 

He's either giving JBot a fair hearing to possibly take the job with the Sabres, or he's using Buffalo to aid his L.A. negotiations, or possibly a little of both.  If I'm in his position, I tell JBot, "I've already got a job lined up but haven't accepted it yet.  Convince me I shouldn't."

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Yeah, that's not a consideration. 

He's either giving JBot a fair hearing to possibly take the job with the Sabres, or he's using Buffalo to aid his L.A. negotiations, or possibly a little of both.  If I'm in his position, I tell JBot, "I've already got a job lined up but haven't accepted it yet.  Convince me I shouldn't."

Which is very very commonplace for the majority of coaches. Especially ones with any kind or decent or good track record.

16 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I really doubt Buffalo fans or anyone in that city would treat him negatively 

No way. This city is vindictive as hell. If anyone even goes to the Frozen Four you could bet they'd be booing his kid. People are still mad about Jimmy Vesey. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, darksabre said:

No way. This city is vindictive as hell. If anyone even goes to the Frozen Four you could bet they'd be booing his kid. People are still mad about Jimmy Vesey. 

Haha ... I know! And Butcher! Some even still hate Hasek for leaving Buffalo.

So immature and petty IMO.

Just now, Hoss said:

No need to risk it with you and your kid in town.

That is true

Just now, darksabre said:

Really? I mean maybe I guess. We did throw stuff at Bledsoe's car when he left

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

No need to risk it with you and your kid in town.

You guys don't genuinely believe that, do you?

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

Most people don't know what he looks like or care. Hell, I was in a bar with Botterill not too long ago and no one said anything to him. Just some head nods and a wave. 

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Did you talk to him?

No, the thought crossed my mind but he was eating dinner it looked like with what I assume were friends or maybe some scouts, hard to know. I try not to bother anyone like that if I see them out an about. I have said hi to Jason at the prospect tourney we have. 

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I believe it. People here would still ***** talk Brett Hull in the airport. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Most people don't know what he looks like or care. Hell, I was in a bar with Botterill not too long ago and no one said anything to him. Just some head nods and a wave. 

Botterill is safe because he hasn't slighted (real or perceived) the city of Buffalo yet.