Updated Todd McLellan OUT of the Running Sabres HC Position

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Friedman reporting the Sabres are making a decision hard for McLellan by offering him 5 years 5 Million, LAK are not expected to go that high. Friedman still thinks he chooses LA 

That is an insane contract to offer that guy. Jeez Botteril 

• Sad 1

I don't see why anyone would get their panties in a bunch over a coaches contract offer.

It's not like it's on the salary cap. It's Pegula's money, if they wish to spend, then who is anyone to criticize them for doing so? I mean really, that's like telling one or all of their family they can't wear socks, or certain shirts or some crap.

It's a contract, it's their money, if true, let them spend it. A contract can be bought out if it doesn't work and Pegula's have already proven that. Complaining about this is laughable to be honest.

• Like (+1) 8

6 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Ridiculous... not even a top tier coach 

Depending where you draw your line, I think he’s generally perceived to be one by the industry. Top 10 anyway.

There is a reason he has coached Team Canada and the Young Stars in the World Cup.

That report tells me one of two things: agent using Friedman to drive up the price for the Kings, and/or the Sabres really honed in on him early as their guy.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Depending where you draw your line, I think he’s generally perceived to be one by the industry. Top 10 anyway.

That report tells me one of two things: agent using Friedman to drive up the price for the Kings, and/or the Sabres really honed in on him early as there guy.

He’s certain a big improvement over PH, but I wouldn’t consider him top 10. 

5 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I don't see why anyone would get their panties in a bunch over a coaches contract offer.

It's not like it's on the salary cap. It's Pegula's money, if they wish to spend, then who is anyone to criticize them for doing so? I mean really, that's like telling one or all of their family they can't wear socks, or certain shirts or some crap.

It's a contract, it's their money, if true, let them spend it. A contract can be bought out if it doesn't work and Pegula's have already proven that. Complaining about this is laughable to be honest.

5 years for that money means we're tied to him. It also means we really, really like him. It also makes us look like idiots when it inevitably fails 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Friedman reporting the Sabres are making a decision hard for McLellan by offering him 5 years 5 Million, LAK are not expected to go that high. Friedman still thinks he chooses LA 

I'm glad the Pegs have deep pockets for our sake but not sure how I feel about someone coming here only because they were offered more money. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, WildCard said:

5 years for that money means we're tied to him. It also means we really, really like him. It also makes us look like idiots when it inevitably fails 

Tied to him? If the contract is terminated and bought out we are no more tied to him than a bee that flew through the yard, and moved on with some pollen.

As for looking like idiots, it's not our money, it's the Pegula's, it doesn't effect us one way or the other. The guy is a coach, money and term are semantics at this point, if you don't like the choice, feel he's not the right fit, fine, but don't use the contract as some sort of crutch to say it just isn't right. The contract has nothing to do with that.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

There is a reason he has coached Team Canada and the Young Stars in the World Cup.

That report tells me one of two things: agent using Friedman to drive up the price for the Kings, and/or the Sabres really honed in on him early as their guy.

If the report is accurate it necessarily means the agent is the source. And not only is Friedman being used, so are the Sabres.

33 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

He’s certain a big improvement over PH, but I wouldn’t consider him top 10. 

His winning percentage is 35th all-time, 19th among coaches with 5 seasons or more, 14th post-expansion.

Of course, Floyd Smith and Dan Bylsma, are ahead of him, so...

I struggle to find 10 active coaches with a better resume.

Cooper .644

Boudreau .641

Bylsma .615

Babcock .611

Quenville .609

Cassidy .608

Sullivan .603

McLellan .594

Julien .592

Laviolette .589

Vigneault .588

Trotz .567

Torterella .551

Gallant .550

Maurice .525

Boucher .501

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

I'm glad the Pegs have deep pockets for our sake but not sure how I feel about someone coming here only because they were offered more money. 

It’s the only reason that I go to work where I do!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Tied to him? If the contract is terminated and bought out we are no more tied to him than a bee that flew through the yard, and moved on with some pollen.

As for looking like idiots, it's not our money, it's the Pegula's, it doesn't effect us one way or the other. The guy is a coach, money and term are semantics at this point, if you don't like the choice, feel he's not the right fit, fine, but don't use the contract as some sort of crutch to say it just isn't right. The contract has nothing to do with that.

They are less likely to terminate someone sooner if they're that heavily invested in him. So if he is bad, then we'll likely have him for longer

It makes the franchise look like we don't know what we're doing if we give yet another guy a 5 year deal and get rid of him in less than those 5 years. 

I'm perfectly aware I'm not Terry Pegula by the way 

Edited by WildCard

49 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Not at all tied to him. He can be fired one day after he signs. 

Good grief...

Just now, Zamboni said:

Not at all tied to him. He can be fired one day after he signs. 

Good grief...

You invest $25M into someone, and it's the 3rd time in 4 years you've done it, and you're still paying the other two, are you likely to fire that guy after a short while?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

You invest $25M into someone, and it's the 3rd time in 4 years you've done it, and you're still paying the other two, are you likely to fire that guy after a short while?

I’d he doesn’t get the job done. Yes. Absolutely. Not tied to him at all. Do you mean “in two years”  equals “short while”?

Edited by Zamboni

2 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I’d he doesn’t get the job done. Yes. Absolutely. Not tied to him at all. Do you mean “in two years”  equals “short while”?

I think he'd have to be Housley bad to get fired in 2 years. And I don't think he will be. I think it's more likely he goes 3 years .500 or so with one playoff berth, just like he did in Edmonton. Management/owners say that's good enough and he still has term left, so we stick with good enough

I don't want good enough. I think it's entirely possible to go and get someone new who can take us further.

But maybe McLellan is good and it works out. I hope so, but he's not my preferred choice obviously

22 minutes ago, WildCard said:

They are less likely to terminate someone sooner if they're that heavily invested in him. So if he is bad, then we'll likely have him for longer

It makes the franchise look like we don't know what we're doing if we give yet another guy a 5 year deal and get rid of him in less than those 5 years. 

I'm perfectly aware I'm not Terry Pegula by the way 

Pefula's have already proven time on contract isn't an issue. They did that with Bylsma.

The franchise looking like it doesn't know what its doing? They would be hiring a coach. To much emphasis on the $ and term. It won't affect the club in the least bit on that end imo.

2 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Pefula's have already proven time on contract isn't an issue. They did that with Bylsma.

The franchise looking like it doesn't know what its doing? They would be hiring a coach. To much emphasis on the $ and term. It won't affect the club in the least bit on that end imo.

They hired Rex and Byslma to 5 year deals and fired them after two. Clearly they aren't afraid to throw money around, but that doesn't mean repeating that mistake is a good idea 

Repeatedly hiring and firing coaches is not a good look for a franchise IMO

48 minutes ago, dudacek said:

His winning percentage is 35th all-time, 19th among coaches with 5 seasons or more, 14th post-expansion.

Of course, Floyd Smith and Dan Bylsma, are ahead of him, so...

I struggle to find 10 active coaches with a better resume.

Cooper .644

Boudreau .641

Bylsma .615

Babcock .611

Quenville .609

Cassidy .608

Sullivan .603

McLellan .594

Julien .592

Laviolette .589

Vigneault .588

Trotz .567

Torterella .551

Gallant .550

Maurice .525

Boucher .501

Well, we had one of them, and he was terrible. Winning percentage in a vacuum just isn't a super persuasive argument for me. I don't hate the idea of hiring McLellan, but I'm also still not convinced he's a guy you break the bank for. I don't think his SJ teams underachieved as much as the popular narrative, but I also have yet to be convinced he's really added value anywhere or is on the level of the other top coaches in the division. The NHL may change the playoff format at some point, but until that happens, I want a coach who can match wits with Cooper, Julien, Quenneville, et al. I'm not confident McLellan is that guy. I'm confident he'd be better than Housley, but "better than Housley" isn't the standard I'm chasing.

Edited by TrueBlueGED