Updated Todd McLellan OUT of the Running Sabres HC Position

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

These other GMs know the deal though.  These hypothetical coaches who lasted 5-7 years in their previous jobs don’t really exist in any large numbers.  Only 2 current NHL coaches have been with their current teams for 5 or more seasons.  Not to be snarky, but Florida went through coaches just as fast as Buffalo recently, yet just signed Quennville.

Trying to guess those coaches...Lavliotte and Cooper?

2 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

These other GMs know the deal though.  These hypothetical coaches who lasted 5-7 years in their previous jobs don’t really exist in any large numbers.  Only 2 current NHL coaches have been with their current teams for 5 or more seasons.  Not to be snarky, but Florida went through coaches just as fast as Buffalo recently, yet just signed Quennville.

$6M/year for 5 years, familiar with the GM, good player foundation, low expectations (as a franchise and hockey town), sunny state with low taxes. He has leverage due to his credentials. Really ideal circumstances.

Theres not too many franchises that can compete with that. ? 

Buffalo has some nice pieces though. Young team, some core pieces, cap space.

1 minute ago, Die Hard said:

$6M/year for 5 years, familiar with the GM, good player foundation, low expectations (as a franchise and hockey town), sunny state with low taxes. He has leverage due to his credentials. Really ideal circumstances.

Theres not too many franchises that can compete with that. ? 

Buffalo has some nice pieces though. Young team, some core pieces, cap space.

Yeah, there are always reasons good why someone takes a job.

What like about Buffalo’s current situation is 1) the young pieces of Eichel, Dahlin, Reinhart, etc 2) the incredible cap flexibility going forward allowing the team to be built in a variety of different ways, ideally tailored to this hypothetical incoming coach.  That’s got to be attractive.  Obviously the situation is not perfect though........

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

The downside is trying to convince another GM to give you a job.      Do you hire the guy who lasted 5-6-7 years with his previous team. and showed steady progress in the early years?  Or the guy who lasted just 2 seasons with zero progress whatsoever.  

How many coaches with that criteria are around looking to be hired? 

8 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Also the jump is pretty big. There are it goes up from 2 to 9 coaches with 4+ years of the same current team

And of those 7 in the 4-5 year range, some are already on warm seats.  Tort, Maurice, even Babcock, they are on playoff teams and the pressure is on them big time to deliver results.  It’s a tough business for sure.

Edited by Curtisp5286

58 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

Not quite sure I'm up for going for another rookie deal. Still not sure I'm sold on Botterill and Rolston and Housley never panned out. 

There is something different about him (Keefe).  He’s been successful everywhere.  Just a gut sense.  I had the same about Gallant.  What gets us out of this mess is thinking outside the box.  Take a chance.  I never felt good about PH.  Todd will improve us but he’s not going to take us to the cup.  I want better.  

Edited by Gatorman0519
  • Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

There is something different about him (Keefe).  He’s been successful everywhere.  Just a gut sense.  I had the same about Gallant.  What gets us out of this mess is thinking outside the box.  Take a chance.  I never felt good about PH.  Todd will improve us but he’s not going to take us to the cup.  I want better.  

I would love Keefe, but Kyle Dubas will most likely block the Sabres from interviewing him. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Exactly. Take a chance. Just because you get burned... doesn’t mean you stop taking chances. That doesn’t mean you make poor decisions and take random chances. Calculated chances like Keefe, Turner, or the Crush coach.... I can accept that. Especially if there’s not a ‘hands down’ veteran candidate you want.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Exactly. Take a chance. Just because you get burned... doesn’t mean you stop taking chances. That doesn’t mean you make poor decisions and take random chances. Calculated chances like Keefe, Turner, or the Crush coach.... I can accept that. Especially if there’s not a ‘hands down’ veteran candidate you want.

Exactly 

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I would love Keefe, but Kyle Dubas will most likely block the Sabres from interviewing him. 

Are they allowed to block a promotion?  I don’t think they can in the nfl. I would be pissed if I’m Keefe and that happened.  Them doing that with the assistant gm was one thing as they planned on him being the next gm.  But doesn’t Babcock have like an 8 year contract or something crazy?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Are they allowed to block a promotion?  I don’t think they can in the nfl. I would be pissed if I’m Keefe and that happened.  Them doing that with the assistant gm was one thing as they planned on him being the next gm.  But doesn’t Babcock have like an 8 year contract or something crazy?

In the past 2 offseason (as a Skins fan), I know we’ve been blocked by teams from interviewing even for promotions. Weird.

And as a Sabres fan, I seem to recall the team was blocked from interviewing a few candidates, before hiring Housley. Was it Reardon in Washington?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Derrico said:

NFL discourages it. The NHL not so much, the Sabres were blocked from interviewing Kyle Dubas and Todd Reirden two years ago by their respective teams 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

NFL discourages it. The NHL not so much, the Sabres were blocked from interviewing Kyle Dubas and Todd Reirden two years ago by their respective teams 

Both were primed for promotions though. Is Keefe?

I don't care who they hire as long as a)  the only thing the Pegs sign off on is the paycheck and b) the new coach holds the players accountable running a tight ship.  If JBotts finds someone from the Sentinelese tribe that checks those two boxes and he feels strongly about I say hire that sumbitch.   

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

The fact that BUF cycles through coaches so quickly has to be a significant deterrent to any respectable candidate.

Florida has cycled through twice as many coaches recently, and they just got the biggest fish on the market. I think a far bigger deterrent are questions about Botterill's ability and/or security. 

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

The downside is trying to convince another GM to give you a job.      Do you hire the guy who lasted 5-6-7 years with his previous team. and showed steady progress in the early years?  Or the guy who lasted just 2 seasons with zero progress whatsoever.  

If there's one thing we know about the NHL, it's that getting a coaching job is pretty easy once you've gotten your first. The "hockey men" love retreads like I love local beer. 

• Like (+1) 1

Where is Jim Schoenfeld?? He could probbly still get on the ice..suit and tie and all...and protect our players when they get cheapshotted.

Ted Nolan,Schoney and Larry Playfair as assistant coaches.Rob ray as the 'younger' head coach to relate to the players more.

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Trying to guess those coaches...Lavliotte and Cooper?

Laviolette?

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

But at least with the Sabres, you can say "the franchise was a mess" and they'd believe you. 

1 hour ago, calti said:

Where is Jim Schoenfeld?? He could probbly still get on the ice..suit and tie and all...and protect our players when they get cheapshotted.

Ted Nolan,Schoney and Larry Playfair as assistant coaches.Rob ray as the 'younger' head coach to relate to the players more.

I want to shoot myself in the face.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2