Updated Todd McLellan OUT of the Running Sabres HC Position

Brawndo

4 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

If McClellan has a preference to be on the West Coast because he and his family live there already then that probably played a large role in it... 

I'm sure plenty of coaches will salivate at being able to coach a young Eichel and Dahlin...if they can harness their greatness they will have a long and successful tenure here. What coach wouldnt want 2 young studs to build around? 

I agree on the West coast factor.

As for the Eichel and Dahlin factor -- I agree that this is a factor, but it has limitations IMHO.  Plenty of crappy teams have 2 good players -- e.g. Edmonton has McD and Draisaitl.  If given an alternative where there are compelling other factors (e.g. preferable city, more stability, more recent winning, etc.),  I'm not sure how far Eichel/Dahlin gets us.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I agree on the West coast factor.

As for the Eichel and Dahlin factor -- I agree that this is a factor, but it has limitations IMHO.  Plenty of crappy teams have 2 good players -- e.g. Edmonton has McD and Draisaitl.  If given an alternative where there are compelling other factors (e.g. preferable city, more stability, more recent winning, etc.),  I'm not sure how far Eichel/Dahlin gets us.

True. On the other hand how many head coaching positions are available and due you pass when the opportunity presents itself?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-breaking-major-nhl-awards-candidates/

7. The Fourth Period’s Dennis Bernstein reported Wednesday morning Todd McLellan was closing in with Los Angeles. It certainly was trending that way prior to the Sabres’ leap into the process. He’s a western guy and the Kings, who had said they were going to consider a search, decided not to waste time. At the end of his time in both San Jose and Edmonton, McLellan did not see eye to eye with his GM. He’s got a positive history with Rob Blake, who played for him on the Sharks. There is a limit to where the Kings will go. They had Darryl Sutter in the $3.5-million range, and that was after he won two Stanley Cups. Up the road near wine country, Peter DeBoer was extended for what is believed to be in the $3.25-million range. The Kings are not afraid of term, but if the Sabres throw a bigger bag of cash at him, it would be a stunner if Los Angeles matched. He’d have to make a choice. Which roster would you rather have: Buffalo or Los Angeles? 

8. This may be irrelevant quickly, but if McLellan goes elsewhere, the assumption is the Kings’ next targets will include three others with ties to Blake: Tony Granato (played with him in Los Angeles); Bob Hartley (played for him in Colorado); and Patrick Roy (played with him in Colorado). Outside possibility: Doug Weight. In the past, they’ve eyed offensively minded coaches. 

9. Buffalo GM Jason Botterill did confirm interest in McLellan: “Certainly, he’s a person of interest. He’s on our list.”

The coach will be in Buffalo for the Frozen Four. Son Tyson plays for the University of Denver. 

10. Much of this predates Botterill, but this will be the Sabres’ fifth coach since Lindy Ruff was fired in February 2013. What is he looking for?

“We’re open to anything,” Botterill replied. “You’re certainly looking for someone who has command of the room… that presence in the room. We have skill. We need to continue to develop that within our organization, bring some more in. We want to play a fast, uptempo style. We want to get our defencemen up in the play…. But it’s, as much as we want to play that offensive game, it’s having a little more structure defensively. That’s a big area where we can have improvement there.”

He added the internal debate is not about experience.

“We’re looking at someone who has that communicative ability, has that accountability, has that presence. That’s why we’re going to be looking at all different options.”

It is believed they have a list of about three they plan on interviewing. It is also believed they want to keep assistant coach Steve Smith.

Edited by Hoss

48 minutes ago, shrader said:

Ahh the wonders of twitter and people wanting to be the first to break something

Indeed.  But then they are just reflections of society.  People on here see one questionable statement and immediately there is speculation on the Sabres being used, because Buffalo, the Sabres roster, etc.  

Sooner or later you'd think people would get tired of walking through all the $#!+ that doesn't stick to the walls.

3 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

The fact that BUF cycles through coaches so quickly has to be a significant deterrent to any respectable candidate.

Is that true?

This is the NHL... we see coaches get canned 8 games into a season, 20 games, etc. Coaches in any sport may get 4-5 year contracts..... but I can’t imagine any coach, in any sport, will survive more than 2 seasons like the Sabres have had.

In order to get into years 3-4-5 of any contract, your team has to show SOME modicum of improvement/progress (even if that includes consistency in something)

12 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Is that true?

This is the NHL... we see coaches get canned 8 games into a season, 20 games, etc. Coaches in any sport may get 4-5 year contracts..... but I can’t imagine any coach, in any sport, will survive more than 2 seasons like the Sabres have had.

In order to get into years 3-4-5 of any contract, your team has to show SOME modicum of improvement/progress (even if that includes consistency in something)

And the downside? A 3-year, multi-million dollar paid vacation? The horror.

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

The fact that BUF cycles through coaches so quickly has to be a significant deterrent to any respectable candidate.

Two years without the desired results is pretty standard in coaching circles, no?

And a five-year deal (if offered) is going to overcome that pretty quickly.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

And the downside? A 3-year, multi-million dollar paid vacation? The horror.

The downside is trying to convince another GM to give you a job.      Do you hire the guy who lasted 5-6-7 years with his previous team. and showed steady progress in the early years?  Or the guy who lasted just 2 seasons with zero progress whatsoever.  

2 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

I’d like us to interview Sheldon Keefe.  To me that is forward thinking. McLellan is just another retread. He’s ok, not terrible, but doesn’t have the “wow” factor. 

Not quite sure I'm up for going for another rookie deal. Still not sure I'm sold on Botterill and Rolston and Housley never panned out. 

6 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

Not quite sure I'm up for going for another rookie deal. Still not sure I'm sold on Botterill and Rolston and Housley never panned out. 

I've already said I want someone with NHL experience as a head coach. If we're not going in that direction then let's promote Chris Taylor who already knows our players and familiar with the organization. Sheldon Keefe may be fine but why him over Taylor?

Edited by Radar

2 minutes ago, Radar said:

I've already said I want someone with NHL experience as a head coach. If we're not going in that direction then let's promote Chris Taylor who already knows our players and familiar with the organization. Sheldon Keefe may be fine but why him over Taylor?

Because Taylor would still be in Rochester. 

QED

Just now, Radar said:

I've already said I want someone with NHL experience as a head coach. If we're not going in that direction then let's promote Chris Taylor who already knows our players and familiar with the organization.

If we go for Taylor it'd feel as if we're just settling imo. I'd rather we go get AV before going with Taylor.

I think its best if we keep Taylor in Roch to continue learning & having success down there. Just think If he comes up here & fails then now you have 2 problems & you stunt Taylors coaching career. 1 good season in Roch doesn't make me think he's the right guy to turn the Sabres around, nor think that he's ready.

But my opinion is just one of some dude on a message board haha

1 minute ago, MillerVaive said:

If we go for Taylor it'd feel as if we're just settling imo. I'd rather we go get AV before going with Taylor.

I think its best if we keep Taylor in Roch to continue learning & having success down there. Just think If he comes up here & fails then now you have 2 problems & you stunt Taylors coaching career. 1 good season in Roch doesn't make me think he's the right guy to turn the Sabres around, nor think that he's ready.

But my opinion is just one of some dude on a message board haha

The point I'm making is , yes I'm for getting AV or another e r experienced head coach but if we're going for a Sheldon Keefe why not promote from within? 

34 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

The downside is trying to convince another GM to give you a job.      Do you hire the guy who lasted 5-6-7 years with his previous team. and showed steady progress in the early years?  Or the guy who lasted just 2 seasons with zero progress whatsoever.  

These other GMs know the deal though.  These hypothetical coaches who lasted 5-7 years in their previous jobs don’t really exist in any large numbers.  Only 2 current NHL coaches have been with their current teams for 5 or more seasons.  Not to be snarky, but Florida went through coaches just as fast as Buffalo recently, yet just signed Quennville.

Edited by Curtisp5286
  • Like (+1) 3