Updated Todd McLellan OUT of the Running Sabres HC Position

Brawndo

Bummer.  He may or may not have been the right guy, but if the Sabres tried to get him and failed, it's a bit discouraging.

I'm curious to see whether other strong candidates pass on the Sabres.  Hopefully not, but there are certainly plenty of reasons to steer clear in favor of other options -- chronic losing, lousy goalies, frequent turnover at coach and in management, the possibility that JB is on thin ice, questions about JB's ability to put together a good team, mediocre prospect pipeline, quiet and aging arena, long winter, etc.

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Bummer.  He may or may not have been the right guy, but if the Sabres tried to get him and failed, it's a bit discouraging.

Precisely. I don’t care who it is. I just want this team to hire who they want and not have candidates turn away. Looks like that won’t be happening.

Decent chance we may not be into our THIRD option. There’s nothing ideal about that. There’s nothing encouraging about that.

Edited by Hoss

10 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Multiple Rasmus on a team or in an organization is called a Rami or Rasmi whatever rolls off the tongue better.

We are fortunate enough to have three of them so we have a Rami.

I prefer Rasmussen, no matter how little that name provided to this team.

9 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

This guy doesn’t have one of those cool little checkmarks next to his name, though. 

Bernstein does a lot of reporting and nails some things but Fourth Period in general whiffs on a ton of stuff.

If Sheldon Keefe is available I recommend we go get him ASAP. If he can't win here then it will almost certainly be because management failed him. If given the right tools and listened too he will deliver the goods. Dude has won everywhere. I watched him coach up close in Junior hockey and his team won league title 5 times in a row. Then he moved to the OHL and won. Then to the AHL and won.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, SDS said:

We will await the official announcement.

Damn right we will.

Bernstein is a freelance Kings homer and has been pushing for McLellan for a while.  Wait for the Kings or Sabres to announce or wait for Bob McKenzie.

The content of that breaking tweet is effectively similar to previous released facts.

16 minutes ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

If Sheldon Keefe is available I recommend we go get him ASAP. If he can't win here then it will almost certainly be because management failed him. If given the right tools and listened too he will deliver the goods. Dude has won everywhere. I watched him coach up close in Junior hockey and his team won league title 5 times in a row. Then he moved to the OHL and won. Then to the AHL and won.

It's a shame we went with Housley first as our risky move instead of a Keef or the Crunch guy. Everything now indicates Botteril wants an experienced NHL head coach, not a 'risky' AHL hire

https://mobile.twitter.com/mayorNHL/status/1115997559099494401

The Mayor John Hoven

@mayorNHL

UPDATE: Did some further digging this morning (after some coffee, of course)... From what we've gathered, nothing has changed on the LA Kings coaching front, contrary to other reports. Yes, they continue to talk with McLellan. No new news though.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I'm curious to see whether other strong candidates pass on the Sabres.  Hopefully not, but there are certainly plenty of reasons to steer clear in favor of other options -- chronic losing, lousy goalies, frequent turnover at coach and in management, the possibility that JB is on thin ice, questions about JB's ability to put together a good team, mediocre prospect pipeline, quiet and aging arena, long winter, etc.

If McClellan has a preference to be on the West Coast because he and his family live there already then that probably played a large role in it...

I'm sure plenty of coaches will salivate at being able to coach a young Eichel and Dahlin...if they can harness their greatness they will have a long and successful tenure here. What coach wouldnt want 2 young studs to build around?

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

Ahh the wonders of twitter and people wanting to be the first to break something

Stupid @Brawndo always trying to be first on SabreSpace. 

5 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/mayorNHL/status/1115997559099494401

The Mayor John Hoven

@mayorNHL

UPDATE: Did some further digging this morning (after some coffee, of course)... From what we've gathered, nothing has changed on the LA Kings coaching front, contrary to other reports. Yes, they continue to talk with McLellan. No new news though.

Good stuff IKP. 

• Haha (+1) 5

8 minutes ago, WildCard said:

It's a shame we went with Housley first as our risky move instead of a Keef or the Crunch guy. Everything now indicates Botteril wants an experienced NHL head coach, not a 'risky' AHL hire

Yes and if the plan is to recycle a veteran coach, I hope it is someone who has actually had real success in this type of situation.