Updated Todd McLellan OUT of the Running Sabres HC Position

Brawndo

12 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Hockey coaches who juggle lines?

How soon people forget Bowman and Ruff, innit?

I'm convinced coaches switching lines more often than fans are comfortable with is a thing everywhere.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Weave said:

How soon people forget Bowman and Ruff, innit?

I'm convinced coaches switching lines more often than fans are comfortable with is a thing everywhere.

Having a veteran or two that inexplicably gets used a lot.

Not playing certain young players enough.

Not fixing the power play.

Head-scratching line combinations.

Not enough (or too much) emotion behind the bench

Gum chewing

I defy you to find a fan base that does not get after their coach for at least four or five of those. It’s actually pretty comical.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, WildCard said:

More than that too. Publicly calling out players, relying way too much on top lines, bad system...I want nothing to do with this guy 

I am 100% here for a coach calling out his players with the assumption that he's driving them hard internally, too. Now if the coach goes to the media with complaints he hasn't given to a player multiple times then there's an issue.

I have zero concern over what Edmonton fans have to say about Todd McLellan. Nobody likes to lose.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Again — if you don’t want to get called out for trolling, don’t engage in trolling.  

Exactly what qualifies as trolling? I've made comprehensive and debatable points with fair opinions and facts to back it up. To me, that doesn't qualify as trolling. 

• Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I am 100% here for a coach calling out his players with the assumption that he's driving them hard internally, too. Now if the coach goes to the media with complaints he hasn't given to a player multiple times then there's an issue.

I have zero concern over what Edmonton fans have to say about Todd McLellan. Nobody likes to lose.

So our crticisms of Byslma and Housley are invalid because we lost?

7 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Multiple Rasmus on a team or in an organization is called a Rami or Rasmi whatever rolls off the tongue better.

We are fortunate enough to have three of them so we have a Rami.

I believe this is a Rami

rami_malek_gettyimages-513024608jpg.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Next season, I’m looking forward to you thinking almost everyone on the roster all of a sudden “figuring it out” and “getting better” and still not thinking it’s mostly because of the system they play and the coaching staff. ?

You have claimed most fans here overrate the entire roster. Maybe, just maybe you need to look in the mirror. Perhaps just perhaps it’s you who underrate the entire roster. You seem to be the only one who’s doing that. Maybe your evaluation is a bit off.

And pointing to low hanging fruit like their record isn’t proof of individual talent as a whole. But it sure points to coaching to a large degree. And it looks like JB agreed with that assessment so far ....

After hopefully getting a better coaching staff, this team is 3-5 players away from getting into the playoffs. With the youth currently on the team, prospects developing on the very good Amerks team, junior teams, and over in Europe, the team is well stocked in regards to talented youth in the pipeline. Hopefully JB can go out and get a few productive vets with great leadership qualities. Especially with Poms leaving, and perhaps other vets getting moved out. One thing I will say that was overrated on the 2018-19 Sabres roster, is great leadership. Eichel at THIS point in his career isn’t all that great of a leader. But that’s not to say he’s slowly growing into one. And all the guys who wore an A aren’t great leaders either IMO. That affects the locker room negatively.

Don't really think what you're suggesting about my evaluation is true and certainly not in step with things I've said this year. But anyway, it's what I see. You can blame the system if you want, but there were many many nights where we had zone time early (or at some stage in the game) and got lots of shots in or around the net BUT very little finish or solid decision making around the net. I think for some of our players the tempo Housley wanted was too much for them and they didn't have time (for them) to think or make a play at their speed and so they just threw it and hoped. For others, they have the speed but lack the skill, the finish, or the decision making skills. I wont' bother going player by player cause many of them won't be here but I think it's all kind of obvious who is/was who. 

The late season youth was different. Nylander still needs to be better, but he showed that he has a wicked shot and can play at that pace. Promising. Olofsson showed strong skills and has real potential. Borgen could be a solid D man. There is potential, and if it all comes to together at once the new coach might look like a genius, but he won't if his players are the same sorry lot of forwards we had this year (after the top line) regardless of what system he tries to employ.

14 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't. You end up liking players (Scandella or Thompson) because of a few little things that you naturally hone in on and you develop a bias against the truth. Numbers help to check what you are seeing and spot patterns and trends. Coaches or GM's who don't believe in analytics have no place on or in the Sabres organization going forward. The "trusting my eyeballs over the numbers" type of hockey people are absolute and we already give are opponents enough competitive advantages. 

And yet he still lead the defense in scoring, controlled zone entries, controlled exits, and I believe his ratio of shot attempts to shots on goal was the highest as well. 

absolute or obsolete? lol, was that a Freudian slip? :)

There's a balance in these things imo. If your guy controls the puck in the O zone, skates around for a while and tosses a soft shot at the goalie's chest he gets positive analytics. If my guy spends more time in his own end but then breaks out and blisters one into the top corner some of his analytics are worse, but he is up 1-0. We need guys who can finish!

As for Dahlin, I've defended him all year. Guy will definitely be a superstar if we don't ruin him. It's not a problem that he led in some D stats, it's a problem that some of our veterans didn't. 

11 hours ago, eman said:

Eric Duhatschek for TSN reporting that McLellan is close to being the guy to replace Housley. Implying this is almost a done deal as the announcement may come later tonight or tomorrow. Has JBot sand McLellan even met in person yet? (or was this an over the phone thing?) Duhatschek may be wrong but he's put it out there if you go to TSN.ca and read the article on McLellan and the Sabres.

There doesnt even seem to be a search. According to Jeremy White's secret twitter source and Mike Harrington, the Sabres approached Quenneville and he said no to them. It seems they are working very stealth. I would be shocked if there wasn't dialogue before this upcoming meeting. It just doesn't add up. I forget who said it, but i read somewhere that Botterill pretty much made up his mind after the Sabres got shutout 3 times in early March. I'd think they made a shortlist of people then and even chatted with him. When they heard Kings were closing in on McLellan, i think thats when the Sabres needed to bail on their original plan and make a move to get back in on McLellan. Just my theory.

Also, i wonder if McLellan and Botterill even met in Buffalo? They could have met in Toronto.