Updated Todd McLellan OUT of the Running Sabres HC Position

Brawndo

5 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

I mean, outside the tank, I think we've had rosters that were more defensible on paper than EDM.  But yeah, we're not anywhere yet, obviously.

Yea, I think we can all agree "better than Edmonton on paper but worse in results" is not a good place to be. 

Separately, if McLellan and LA have been talking for awhile but nothing is done yet, it seems to me McLellan really wants a better roster situation than LA has. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Yea, I think we can all agree "better than Edmonton on paper but worse in results" is not a good place to be. 

Yep, which is probably why firing Housley was defensible and firing McLellan was useless.  EDM had identical standings-points per game this season before and after McLellan's firing.

11 minutes ago, WildCard said:

What a stupid move by a coach

He's not into analytics? Yea I am out then. I am sick of these guys who don't value innovation. You don't have to solely rely on analytics but the best thing is not your eyeballs. Eyeballs have bias and numbers can give you clarity.  

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He's not into analytics? Yea I am out then. I am sick of these guys who don't value innovation. You don't have to solely rely on analytics but the best thing is not your eyeballs. Eyeballs have bias and numbers can give you clarity.  

It's absurd. There's a guy in Carolina who is well known for being one of the smartest in the field for analytics and Friedman has mentioned he has a massive sway in hockey decisions. Why are we not doing this

Harrington with an actually sensible point

20 minutes ago, Radar said:

Got the feeling we may be counting chickens before they're hatched. First reports much more like it's getting done. Later reports we're just one team looking at trying to get him.

and most or all his coaching career on west coast...

• nfreeman changed the title to Report: Sabres and Todd McLellan closing in on Deal
10 minutes ago, WildCard said:

It's absurd. There's a guy in Carolina who is well known for being one of the smartest in the field for analytics and Friedman has mentioned he has a massive sway in hockey decisions. Why are we not doing this

By continuing to ignore the field of analytics and using data to inform on player usage, the sabres are handing the competition an advantage. This plays out in player acquisition, deployment and strategy. In each of these areas, the local hockey team is ignoring essentially free tools out of stubbornness. And as management rolls out their latest faith-based (they believe, culture, etc) strategies on coaching hires and player development it drives me to separate myself from them. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Sidc3000 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mubIIUr9Ys 

I could on imagine what kind of pressers would he have had if he coached the Sabres this season......

Great, so they had the exact same issues before he got there, had the same issues while he was there, and same issues after he left. And, they're all the same issues we have. Good-great-grand-wonderful

• Like (+1) 1