Updated Todd McLellan OUT of the Running Sabres HC Position

Brawndo

15 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

I’m fine if it’s McLellan.  Experienced.  History of success.  He even got Edmonton into the 2nd round of the playoffs.

I'm OK with it as well...the dude has gotren near 60% of points available over his career including a few down years in Edmonton...

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

He did say the coaching search had been going on for a while now.    And he also said he would talk about it some more with his assistant gm's on what they wanted.

No, he said it had already started and was ongoing. He did not say "for awhile". 

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

I'm OK with it as well...the dude has gotren near 60% of points available over his career including a few down years in Edmonton...

I think the thing to remember is that no matter who the coach is, they will fail with a flawed roster as evidence by Edmonton. 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No, he said it had already started and was ongoing. He did not say "for awhile". 

I think the thing to remember is that no matter who the coach is, they will fail with a flawed roster as evidence by Edmonton. 

Maybe but i doubt they would produce the record Housley has over the past 2 years.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

From this article:

One of the strengths of McLellan and his staff in San Jose was their consistently good power play, the second-best in the league over his seven years running the team.

Yes please.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

He did say the coaching search had been going on for a while now.    And he also said he would talk about it some more with his assistant gm's on what they wanted.

Wait he did? When?

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Maybe but i doubt they would produce the record Housley has over the past 2 years.

I think you are right. Housley may not have had the best teams but he also did nothing to really help them. 

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Wait he did? When?

He did not. 

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The roster definitely needs fixing, however they should have been better than they were.   I don't think anybody is expecting playoffs next season, but some upward movement in the standings, players giving an all out effort on a regular basis, better d-zone play, etc.... are what is expected.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Speak for yourself please.  I coached in the NHL for 14 years, won over 400 games, including 4 Stanley Cups. I was also a GM and built a franchise from bottom up. 

Back in my day we interviewed a few good old boys first.   We drank a lot of booze and swore a whole bunch.  Then, we decided if the guy was alright.  Didn't need any analytics either.

I like this guy.

It sound like my hiring practice. I'd take the candidate out for some podracing. See if he or she could handle spinning. Then, we'd drink and discuss tendencies and aspirations like becoming Admiral vs. a Moff. Finally, I'd give them a little Moulson Choke, just to test their mettle. I don't care how many midichlorians they've got, I want to know whether they'll crack under the pressure of a large scale assault and if they're overconfident against a bunch of small one-man fighters. What kind of Imperial Officer are you, Mr. McLellan?

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Does anyone have a #fancystats breakdown of McLellan?

I can't post all of the numbers right now, but his Edmonton teams were bottom-10 in the important stuff. I honestly don't know what to make of it. I was a big fan of his after San Jose (he was my 2nd choice to Babcock), but his Edmonton tenure was wholly unimpressive. Of course, godspeed to anyone who thinks they can meaningfully separate his coaching from Chiarelli gradually trading away the entire worthwhile supporting cast. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I'll also point out that if it ends up being McL -- once again, Buffalo sports reporters are out to lunch while the national guys get the scoop.I 

Is that how's it's going to be? McL? Anybody up for a McBotts?

HCNGMTM

7 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I can't post all of the numbers right now, but his Edmonton teams were bottom-10 in the important stuff. I honestly don't know what to make of it. I was a big fan of his after San Jose (he was my 2nd choice to Babcock), but his Edmonton tenure was wholly unimpressive. Of course, godspeed to anyone who thinks they can meaningfully separate his coaching from Chiarelli gradually trading away the entire worthwhile supporting cast. 

I don't have strong opinions about McLellan yet, but here's a non-scientific concurrence: Oilers management is and has been terrible.  Their rosters have been bonkers in different ways for more than a decade.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

2 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

I don't have strong opinions about McLellan yet, but here's a non-scientific concurrence: Oilers management is and has been terrible.  Their rosters have been bonkers in different ways for more than a decade.

Unfortunately, the same can be said for us. 

5 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Is that how's it's going to be? McL? Anybody up for a McBotts?

HCNGMTM

Sign me up for McBotts.