Updated Todd McLellan OUT of the Running Sabres HC Position

Brawndo

16 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Friendly reminder that we don’t actually know what we’re talking about when it comes to coaching in the NHL and nobody knows the formula. To get worked up, one way or the other, is silly.

Speak for yourself please.  I coached in the NHL for 14 years, won over 400 games, including 4 Stanley Cups. I was also a GM and built a franchise from bottom up. 

Back in my day we interviewed a few good old boys first.   We drank a lot of booze and swore a whole bunch.  Then, we decided if the guy was alright.  Didn't need any analytics either. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Let's not get carried away that he's definitely the guy (referring to the other thread being closed).

Reports like this are common when a free agent player or coach is trying to leverage something.

It's likely both Buffalo and LA is negotiating with McLellan at the moment.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

Sooooo...

McL is 51 and from Melville, Saskatchewan -- which really looks like the absolute middle of nowhere, Canada.

He played Canadian junior hockey in the WHL, was drafted in the 5th round by the Islanders and played only 5 NHL games.  He went to the Netherlands to continue his playing career and his coach there turned him into a player-coach.  He came home, coached 6 years in the WHL, then 5 years in the AHL (winning the Calder Cup in 2003), then became an assistant to Babcock in Detroit in 2005 before getting the SJ job in 2008.

McL was HC in SJ for 7 years.  They made the playoffs every year until his last year, after which he was let go (and hired immediately by Edmonton).  SJ made the WCF twice under McL, the 2nd round once and got bounced in the 1st round 3 times. 

That's a real resume.

7 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Quick summary? Good or bad?

ummm 

Yes. 

Basically year 1 was bad but McLellan didn't have  enough to work with.

year 2 he had more but didn't really integrate and develop the young guys enough. https://theathletic.com/666916/2018/11/20/lowetide-with-not-enough-talent-and-outside-the-playoffs-todd-mclellans-oilers-career-ends-where-it-began/

The bottom line

When the Oilers hired McLellan, one of his perceived strengths involved getting young players into the lineup and flourishing in important roles. Chiarelli talked about McLellan’s strengths during the first dual press conference in spring 2015, saying, “watching his teams over the years, he’s taken teams with young players and taken them to a higher level. I’ve seen what he’s done with those players. Taking young skill players and teaching them to play hard.”

It’s in this area I believe McLellan was unable to deliver what became a roster in constant flux over his three-plus seasons in Edmonton. In order for his Edmonton team to be successful, Puljujarvi and Yamamoto would need to be flourishing now, and that is not the case. I expect that will be a theme moving forward (finding a way to implement youth while also winning hockey games) although that may be on hold until the team is either in or out of the playoffs this season.

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Thanks (+1) 1

If McLellan is bots top guy then I hope this gets done.  It appears ownership is staying out of the hiring process which is great.  If bots wants him then get it done.  Going forward this is bots guy and may be his last if things don’t turn around.

25 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

I can't say I hate it but I guess I really just wanted to see what happened with Boudreau. I suppose McLellan can't be blamed for Edmonton since nobody can seem to figure out that mess either. And I probaly should admit that I did like Mclellan before he went to the Oil.

The thing with Boudreau is he'll get you to the playoffs but no further. 

Just now, Huckleberry said:

My bet is UPL comes in and steals the job from the other two next year.

Wow that’s a super bold prediction considering goalies usually take the longest to develop and bots seems like a guy that really pushes developing in roch.  I would think he needs at very min a full season there.