Updated Todd McLellan OUT of the Running Sabres HC Position

Brawndo

John Shannon of Sportsnet was on with Howard today at GR-55.

He says McLellan is likely to go to LA.  He seemed to suggest that's a done deal. 

And Dallas Eakins going to Anaheim as also another done deal.

Edited by Kruppstahl

4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Ugh ... what about the process?  any process?

He said he'd already begun talking to people in his press meeting yesterday.

3 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

What the FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF???????

So, you don't like this either?

And until it's done, it's not done... just ask Antonio Brown.

Fits the preferred profile of a vet who had success elsewhere but couldn't get over the hump.

Fantastic regular season success with the Sharks. Not so much playoffs.

Took a horrible Edmonton team to the playoffs. Didn't do much his other two Oiler seasons.

Not going to blame him for the Oiler failures.

Guess we do look more attractive than the Kings?

6 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

John Shannon of Sportsnet was on with Howard today at GR-55.

He says McLellan is likely to go to LA.  He seemed to suggest that's a done deal. 

And Dallas Eakins going to Anaheim as also another done deal.

Shannon also said O'Reilly would likely return a 2nd round draft pick.

Edited by dudacek

McLellan was the guy I wanted other than PH last time around.  I like what he did in SJ, but they had strong locker room leadership and a veteran team.

He fits the mold of a future Cup winner, but based on his failure in Edm with a similar roster that we have here, I’m not impressed.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LTS said:

He said he'd already begun talking to people in his press meeting yesterday.

So, you don't like this either?

And until it's done, it's not done... just ask Antonio Brown.

I can't say I hate it but I guess I really just wanted to see what happened with Boudreau. I suppose McLellan can't be blamed for Edmonton since nobody can seem to figure out that mess either. And I probaly should admit that I did like Mclellan before he went to the Oil.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Friendly reminder that we don’t actually know what we’re talking about when it comes to coaching in the NHL and nobody knows the formula. To get worked up, one way or the other, is silly.

What're you new here?

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

McLellan was the guy I wanted other than PH last time around.  I like what he did in SJ, but they had strong locker room leadership and a veteran team.

He fits the mold of a future Cup winner, but based on his failure in Edm with a similar roster that we have here, I’m not impressed.  

Did they? Cause they stripped their captain of the C

2 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

I can't say I hate it but I guess I really just wanted to see what happened with Boudreau. I suppose McLellan can't be blamed for Edmonton since nobody can seem to figure out that mess either. And I probaly should admit that I did like Mclellan before he went to the Oil.

Personally, I'd prefer McLellan. Records are pretty similar.

Boudreau

862005253_ScreenShot2019-04-08at10_55_55AM.thumb.png.2738d2d66743dd8411a889311a487445.png

McLellan

15718050_ScreenShot2019-04-08at10_55_13AM.thumb.png.b8997bef2305b912a53394c187d33039.png

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Fits the preferred profile of a vet who had success elsewhere but couldn't get over the hump.

Fantastic regular season success with the Sharks. Not so much playoffs.

Took a horrible Edmonton team to the playoffs. Didn't do much his other two Oiler seasons.

Not going to blame him for the Oiler failures.

Guess we do look more attractive than the Kings?

Shannon also said O'Reilly would likely return a 2nd round draft pick.

I'm not suggesting Shannon is right; I'm suggesting he is a professional hockey news reporter who just reported information which conflicts directly with this thread.

So you might want to take that into your calculations.

I posted in the other thread.. but it belongs here.

McLellan is the coach who pulled the 'C' from Joe Thornton.  I mean.. that's a bold move.

He was an assistant to Babcock as well.

If it holds out I think I can live with the idea.  Certainly him over AV or Boudreau (absolutely do not want him).  Someone floated Tippett but I think he's just holding out for the sweet Seattle job.  I could behind Tippett, he seemed to work wonders with the Coyotes and what he was given.

I think he checks the boxes when it comes to things Botterill was probably looking for.

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Works for me.

Now get a better goalie please.

I think the current tandem will be the same for the next two and final years of Hutton’s contract. No matter what.

It’s possible, the future tandem will be UPL backing up Ullmark in 21-22.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Zamboni said:

I think the current tandem will be the same for the next two and final years of Hutton’s contract. No matter what.

It’s possible, the future tandem will be UPL backing up Ullmark in 21-22.

Yuck, but you could certainly be right.

Separately, and pending further analysis, I think I like this choice more than AV or Boudreau.

• Like (+1) 1