Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
LGR4GM

2019 NHL Draft

Recommended Posts

50 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I wonder if when all is said and done in this draft, if Hughes ends up in say 5 years not the best guy from it. 

Yes, in some lists he's already been eclipsed by Kaapo Kakko.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

56523218_2115237808525098_18735034837101

Here's to hoping that this draft would be as successful as the last one where Buffalo picked first and Vancouver second.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Yes, in some lists he's already been eclipsed by Kaapo Kakko.

The only thing that Kakko doesn't do better IMPO is skate. His edges and agility are fine but Kakko doesn't have elite speed. He has above average speed, but he isn't going to just blow by defenders. Outside of that, his attention to detail and his ability to play with contact are all really good. His shot is improving as well. If you watch goals from the beginning of the year to the end I see a quickness and power at the end that wasn't quite there at the beginning. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From that standpoint, maybe drafting #2 isn't so bad.  At least people can't say JBot made the wrong pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, New Guy said:

As per my username, I'm new to following the NHL as a whole. I tuned in last year where the results were between intermissions, but with this being an hour-long segment on its own, how exactly will they make use of all the time? 

Welcome! Hopefully you bring some luck to the Sabres tonight.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2019 at 12:53 PM, LGR4GM said:

Alright well this is the thread now.

This is the rough composite done last month. I am working on my own list now so someone else can update things or create a new one.

2019_COMP1.thumb.PNG.84a4a09470d0b643fd59db3cea9b78ee.PNG2019_COMP2.thumb.PNG.051383266a84cf4aa34ccd2cab1980ec.PNG

By the way Nolan Foote, who was on 3-4 of the initial rankings, has slipped completely off the radar.  Of the 14 rankings I’ve seen he is no longer on any of them.  All the others on your list appear at least once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

From that standpoint, maybe drafting #2 isn't so bad.  At least people can't say JBot made the wrong pick.

im doing cartwheels if the Sabres get #1 or #2. Not as excited as last year when they won the Dahlin sweepstakes but still pretty pumped.  

Think some people are hoping for #2 over #1 but I dont think we should under-estimate how much talent that Hughes has. 

this is from last summer but its a pretty good report on Hughes

 

 

Edited by Crusader1969

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

By the way Nolan Foote, who was on 3-4 of the initial rankings, has slipped completely off the radar.  Of the 14 rankings I’ve seen he is no longer on any of them.  All the others on your list appear at least once.

Yea, I think he will be sliding down mine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Jack Huges really 152 pounds??  Wowzers.  These first overall guys always play in the NHL their first post draft year but he has a tonnnnnnn of weight he is going to have to add.  My 6 year old is basically 152 😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He says (in an Athletic interview) that he is 170.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Is Jack Huges really 152 pounds??  Wowzers.  These first overall guys always play in the NHL their first post draft year but he has a tonnnnnnn of weight he is going to have to add.  My 6 year old is basically 152 😋

 

21 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He says (in an Athletic interview) that he is 170.

with 20 lbs of quarters in his pockets, btw my 14 year old son is now 6'2" 190.... but couldnt touch Hughes on skates if he ran in to him.

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok so, we need a surprise reach in the top 6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now we can scratch Hughes and Kakko off the list 

time to deep dive into Turcotte, Zegras, Cozens, Dach, Boldy, Krebs and Byram 

My gut feeling is there is little chance Turcotte or Cozens fall to 7th though  

Edit.  Forgot Podkolzin but he and the Rangers at 3 seem like a perfect match 

Edited by Crusader1969

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Hughes, Kakko, Dach, Pod, Cozens, Bowen, Turcotte. 

Well, it's possible but idk if probable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

So Hughes, Kakko, Dach, Pod, Cozens, Bowen, Turcotte. 

Well, it's possible but idk if probable

Dach will be the tough one.  Huge talent but there is worry he doesn’t bring it every night. But then only takes one to fall in love with him 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope Pod falls to us bc of the Russian factor. I think he’s just as good as the top two guys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

I'm hoping the Sabres draft Matthew Boldly.

Was just about to come and say Boldy is now on the list. 

  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, that mock makes tons of sense. 

LA taking Dach is so logical it hurts. If Turcotte slides, I'm all for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Athletic Mock Draft 

No. 6. Detroit Red Wings

Alex Turcotte, C, USNTDP-USHL

Feb. 26, 2001 | 5-foot-11 | 194 pounds

Max Bultman: This is really a decision between Turcotte and his USNTDP teammate Trevor Zegras, both of whom might actually be value picks at this slot. Zegras would offer the elite playmaking Detroit lacks in its forward core, and for that reason he’s very tempting. But there’s just so much to love about Turcotte. For starters, he’s a fast, skilled, two-way center who his coach actually compared to Dylan Larkin recently. But Turcotte’s also been producing at crazy levels since returning from injury this season. His 2.13 points per game in USHL play outpace even Hughes. If Turcotte’s still on the board at No. 6, he’s a great pick.

Pronman’s take: In Turcotte, Detroit gets a center who, when healthy, was simply outstanding this past season. Every element of his game outside of his size (5-foot-11) stands out, from his speed to his skill to his compete level and hockey sense. Think of him as a more skilled version of Larkin without as much size. He’s a center who could be a one-and-done in college and be in the NHL playing a significant role soon in any role the coach wants.

No. 7. Buffalo Sabres

Kirby Dach, C, Saskatoon-WHL

Jan. 21, 2001 | 6-foot-4 | 198 pounds

Joe Yerdon: GM Jason Botterill hasn’t selected a player from the CHL in his first two drafts and, with the opportunity to not only improve an organizational need at center but also add a player with size and skill, choosing the 6-foot-4, 198-pound Dach would present a perfect opportunity to address all that at once. There will be plenty of choices at center in the 2019 NHL Draft, but Dach put up 73 points in 62 games for Saskatoon this season and used that size to create scoring chances. He’s not the typical big center who lacks playmaking ability in deferment to his size. The lure of sticking with familiar territory may be too strong, but Dach can provide something a little different than what currently exists in the pipeline.

Pronman’s take: In Dach, Buffalo gets a 6-foot-4 center with a ton of ability. There are few players in the world with Dach’s size with his combination of hands, vision and skating ability. He has all the potential to be a first-line center in the NHL. Buffalo has their first-line center already in Jack Eichel, but there’s no such thing as too many awesome centers. Dach played wing at the Hlinka Gretzky and showed he could be very good in that role, as well.

No. 8. Edmonton Oilers

Trevor Zegras, C, USNTDP-USHL

May 20, 2001 | six-foot | 168 pounds

Daniel Nugent-Bowman: The Oilers have some elite skill up front but not enough of it. Zegras, a six-foot, 168-pound forward, brings an element that’s badly lacking. Although he projects as a sublime, playmaking centerman with superb offensive vision, Zegras is more than comfortable on the wing. That’s important because talent and depth down the middle of the ice is one of the few areas the Oilers have covered on their NHL roster. Zegras is a Boston University commit, so don’t expect him in the pros right away. When he gets there, it’s not hard to envision him setting up 50-goal man Leon Draisaitl.

Pronman’s take: In Zegras, the Oilers get arguably the best passer in the draft. Zegras is a truly elite playmaker who can run a power play with the best of them. While nobody is taking the puck from McDavid on the first power play unit, Zegras could run a very dangerous second unit and add to an already very talented young core. Zegras can play center or wing well, so the Oilers can decide how to deploy him along with McDavid, Draisaitl and Daniel Nugent-Hopkins.

No. 9. Anaheim Ducks

Peyton Krebs, C, Kootenay-WHL

Jan. 26, 2001 | 5-foot-11 | 181 pounds

Eric Stephens: Once strong down the middle, the Ducks need help there. Ryan Getzlaf is on the back nine of his career and Ryan Kesler may be finished due to injuries. Adam Henrique is more of a shoot-first center best suited for a third-line role. Sam Steel is just beginning and looks like he can handle a top-six spot. And in a draft full of quality pivots at the top, it makes sense to grab the 5-foot-11, left-shooting, Kootenay Ice center. The 18-year-old fits the Ducks’ bill as a competitive playmaker who skates well and has a high hockey IQ. Anaheim can use centers that can pass the puck like Getzlaf does so well, particularly in his prime. Steel can dish the biscuit, and so can Krebs, whose 49 assists this season was nearly double the amount of his next closest teammate on a team that struggled all year.

Pronman’s take: Krebs would bring a lot of dimensions to Anaheim, between his fantastic hockey sense, compete level and pace. In a system and organization full of young, talented forwards, he’d vault toward the top of the depth chart and play the game in a slightly different way than guys like Troy Terry, Max Jones or Steel.

No. 10. Vancouver Canucks

Matthew Boldy, LW, USNTDP-USHL

April 5, 2001 | 6-foot-2 | 187 pounds

Jason Botchford: Call this the Elias Pettersson draft pick. The young centre needs a left winger who can score and Boldy is a sniper who can make plays too. That second part is so important because Pettersson has the best shot on the team, giving this potential duo a lethal ceiling. Boldy has elite hockey IQ, which is huge for anyone hoping to keep up with Pettersson over the long run. Boldy also has a pro level shot and is elite in and around the net, a skill that Jonathan Dahlen has and he was one of Pettersson’s favorite linemates in Sweden.

Pronman’s take: In Boldy, the Canucks get a winger with a fantastic toolkit. There are few 6-foot-2 forwards in the draft class who can dangle, make plays and score like Boldy can. He may not be ultra-fast, but the Canucks have invested in players like Pettersson, Bo Horvat and Brock Boeser who on first glance are not fast, but full of talent and they work with them to get faster. Boldy has all the ability to be a dynamic winger for either Pettersson or Horvat.

 

  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The Athletic Mock Draft 

No. 6. Detroit Red Wings

Alex Turcotte, C, USNTDP-USHL

Feb. 26, 2001 | 5-foot-11 | 194 pounds

Max Bultman: This is really a decision between Turcotte and his USNTDP teammate Trevor Zegras, both of whom might actually be value picks at this slot. Zegras would offer the elite playmaking Detroit lacks in its forward core, and for that reason he’s very tempting. But there’s just so much to love about Turcotte. For starters, he’s a fast, skilled, two-way center who his coach actually compared to Dylan Larkin recently. But Turcotte’s also been producing at crazy levels since returning from injury this season. His 2.13 points per game in USHL play outpace even Hughes. If Turcotte’s still on the board at No. 6, he’s a great pick.

Pronman’s take: In Turcotte, Detroit gets a center who, when healthy, was simply outstanding this past season. Every element of his game outside of his size (5-foot-11) stands out, from his speed to his skill to his compete level and hockey sense. Think of him as a more skilled version of Larkin without as much size. He’s a center who could be a one-and-done in college and be in the NHL playing a significant role soon in any role the coach wants.

No. 7. Buffalo Sabres

Kirby Dach, C, Saskatoon-WHL

Jan. 21, 2001 | 6-foot-4 | 198 pounds

Joe Yerdon: GM Jason Botterill hasn’t selected a player from the CHL in his first two drafts and, with the opportunity to not only improve an organizational need at center but also add a player with size and skill, choosing the 6-foot-4, 198-pound Dach would present a perfect opportunity to address all that at once. There will be plenty of choices at center in the 2019 NHL Draft, but Dach put up 73 points in 62 games for Saskatoon this season and used that size to create scoring chances. He’s not the typical big center who lacks playmaking ability in deferment to his size. The lure of sticking with familiar territory may be too strong, but Dach can provide something a little different than what currently exists in the pipeline.

Pronman’s take: In Dach, Buffalo gets a 6-foot-4 center with a ton of ability. There are few players in the world with Dach’s size with his combination of hands, vision and skating ability. He has all the potential to be a first-line center in the NHL. Buffalo has their first-line center already in Jack Eichel, but there’s no such thing as too many awesome centers. Dach played wing at the Hlinka Gretzky and showed he could be very good in that role, as well.

No. 8. Edmonton Oilers

Trevor Zegras, C, USNTDP-USHL

May 20, 2001 | six-foot | 168 pounds

Daniel Nugent-Bowman: The Oilers have some elite skill up front but not enough of it. Zegras, a six-foot, 168-pound forward, brings an element that’s badly lacking. Although he projects as a sublime, playmaking centerman with superb offensive vision, Zegras is more than comfortable on the wing. That’s important because talent and depth down the middle of the ice is one of the few areas the Oilers have covered on their NHL roster. Zegras is a Boston University commit, so don’t expect him in the pros right away. When he gets there, it’s not hard to envision him setting up 50-goal man Leon Draisaitl.

Pronman’s take: In Zegras, the Oilers get arguably the best passer in the draft. Zegras is a truly elite playmaker who can run a power play with the best of them. While nobody is taking the puck from McDavid on the first power play unit, Zegras could run a very dangerous second unit and add to an already very talented young core. Zegras can play center or wing well, so the Oilers can decide how to deploy him along with McDavid, Draisaitl and Daniel Nugent-Hopkins.

No. 9. Anaheim Ducks

Peyton Krebs, C, Kootenay-WHL

Jan. 26, 2001 | 5-foot-11 | 181 pounds

Eric Stephens: Once strong down the middle, the Ducks need help there. Ryan Getzlaf is on the back nine of his career and Ryan Kesler may be finished due to injuries. Adam Henrique is more of a shoot-first center best suited for a third-line role. Sam Steel is just beginning and looks like he can handle a top-six spot. And in a draft full of quality pivots at the top, it makes sense to grab the 5-foot-11, left-shooting, Kootenay Ice center. The 18-year-old fits the Ducks’ bill as a competitive playmaker who skates well and has a high hockey IQ. Anaheim can use centers that can pass the puck like Getzlaf does so well, particularly in his prime. Steel can dish the biscuit, and so can Krebs, whose 49 assists this season was nearly double the amount of his next closest teammate on a team that struggled all year.

Pronman’s take: Krebs would bring a lot of dimensions to Anaheim, between his fantastic hockey sense, compete level and pace. In a system and organization full of young, talented forwards, he’d vault toward the top of the depth chart and play the game in a slightly different way than guys like Troy Terry, Max Jones or Steel.

No. 10. Vancouver Canucks

Matthew Boldy, LW, USNTDP-USHL

April 5, 2001 | 6-foot-2 | 187 pounds

Jason Botchford: Call this the Elias Pettersson draft pick. The young centre needs a left winger who can score and Boldy is a sniper who can make plays too. That second part is so important because Pettersson has the best shot on the team, giving this potential duo a lethal ceiling. Boldy has elite hockey IQ, which is huge for anyone hoping to keep up with Pettersson over the long run. Boldy also has a pro level shot and is elite in and around the net, a skill that Jonathan Dahlen has and he was one of Pettersson’s favorite linemates in Sweden.

Pronman’s take: In Boldy, the Canucks get a winger with a fantastic toolkit. There are few 6-foot-2 forwards in the draft class who can dangle, make plays and score like Boldy can. He may not be ultra-fast, but the Canucks have invested in players like Pettersson, Bo Horvat and Brock Boeser who on first glance are not fast, but full of talent and they work with them to get faster. Boldy has all the ability to be a dynamic winger for either Pettersson or Horvat.

 

Thanks for sharing.  I just can’t decide.  I love them all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

Thanks for sharing.  I just can’t decide.  I love them all!

Would you like the Lobster or the cracked crab?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...