2019 NHL Draft

LGR4GM

20 hours ago, Thorny said:

My problem with this line of thinking is that the "death by a thousand cuts" seems to be what's dooming the Sabres of late. There was no ONE thing wrong with the team last year, there were a bunch of things contributing to it. Totally get that you are saying it's not your preferred option, though. 

But if Olofsson is one line too high, Rodrigues is one line too high, Hayes is one line too high, McCabe is one line too high, Hutton is one line too high..

Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart

Olofsson - Hayes - Rodrigues

Sheary - Mittelstadt - Okposo

Dahlin - Montour

McCabe - Ristolainen

Hutton

Ullmark

Is that a playoff team? If Mittelstadt ignites this season, early, then I guess there's an outside chance. Who's the coach? Could be an x-factor.

But realistically, it looks like marginal improvement. If this is the team, it's strategy is to be good when Dahlin is Norris level. 

Eichel also has to have it written into his contract that he can't get injured next season, or the top 6 is a wreck. 

Good Lord we are going to hit the 10 year mark on the drought.  Another lotto team.  

@LGR4GM I’m sure if I went through the thread again I would find what I’m looking for, but who should we be looking at in terms of “undersized but young for his class.” I’m pretty sure Olofsson has grew four inches post-draft. I’m not sure how you would surmise someone is due for growth, but if anyone knows it’s you. 

Also, I’m not looking for a Caufield answer or anyone really top 62. Knowing you, I’m just gonna go ahead and say thanks for the info and that it’s greatly appreciated. 

Lastly, I’m pretty bored during a layover so if you felt inclined to do a Bodie write up id love you for it. 

16 minutes ago, #freejame said:

@LGR4GM I’m sure if I went through the thread again I would find what I’m looking for, but who should we be looking at in terms of “undersized but young for his class.” I’m pretty sure Olofsson has grew four inches post-draft. I’m not sure how you would surmise someone is due for growth, but if anyone knows it’s you. 

Also, I’m not looking for a Caufield answer or anyone really top 62. Knowing you, I’m just gonna go ahead and say thanks for the info and that it’s greatly appreciated. 

Lastly, I’m pretty bored during a layover so if you felt inclined to do a Bodie write up id love you for it. 

Nicholas Roberstson. He is listed as 5'9" but his bday is Sept 11, 2001 meaning he makes the cut by only 4 days. To put this in perspective, Raphael Lavoie, also in this class is almost a full year older than Robertson (Lavoie is Sept 25th, 2000). I have a suspicion he is closer to 5'10" now but until the combine and he gets measured, we won't know. Also as Wheeler from the Athletic put it (I remembered this yesterday but found it today):

Nicholas Robertson: C/LW, Peterborough Petes, 5-foot-9

NICK ROBERTSON PLAYS HOCKEY IN CAPS LOCK. HE SKATES REALLY FAST. HE HITS REALLY HARD. HE CAN RIP THE CURL-AND-DRAG RELEASE OFF THE RUSH. IF IT DOESN’T GO IN, HE’S FOLLOWING IT TO THE TOP OF THE CREASE. IF THAT DOESN’T WORK, HE’LL CHASE YOU DOWN, HE’LL FIND YOU AND HE’LL KILL YOU. HE’S BASICALLY LIAM NEESON. HE’LL PROBABLY HURT HIMSELF SOMEWHERE ALONG THE WAY BUT HE’LL MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN OR DIE TRYING.

All seriousness: If Robertson’s ridiculous compete level and the way he attacks in waves doesn’t make him a second-line forward, it’ll make him a third-line one.

https://theathletic.com/786254/2019/02/18/wheeler-midseason-ranking-for-the-2019-nhl-drafts-top-62-prospects/ 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Nicholas Roberstson. He is listed as 5'9" but his bday is Sept 11, 2001 meaning he makes the cut by only 4 days. To put this in perspective, Raphael Lavoie, also in this class is almost a full year older than Robertson (Lavoie is Sept 25th, 2000). I have a suspicion he is closer to 5'10" now but until the combine and he gets measured, we won't know. Also as Wheeler from the Athletic put it (I remembered this yesterday but found it today):

https://theathletic.com/786254/2019/02/18/wheeler-midseason-ranking-for-the-2019-nhl-drafts-top-62-prospects/ 

Thanks for this! We don’t have our second this year, right? Would he be a reach with our second first?

Matthew Boldy LW, 6'2" 192lbs, April 5th, 2001.

Imagine if you had a Swiss Army Knife but it was made in America, I give you Boldy. You want him to be the trigger guy, fine he has a good shot. You need him to feed Caufield, fine he has good passing. You need him to defend, fine he will do that too. You need him to open a bottle of wine, idk he can probably do that. He basically slides into whatever role the US Nat team gives him. He played with Zegras while Turcotte was out and so he was a sniper. His shot is underrated a bit and it has some power. He isn't as dynamic as Caufield but he's pretty good with it. Now when Turcotte came back he started playing a bit more of an either or game. I mean he either shot or passed more often. When he ended up on a line with Caufield, he went full on passing machine. That's basically how he goes. Whatever type of player you need, he adapts and does it. 

Let's talk about his skating. His skating is going to be a little divisive. On the one hand you will notice he is strong on the skates and has good edgework and agility. His top end speed is above average and his acceleration I would say is good. So his skating overall is good. It is better than Reinhart but below a Dahlin... okay everyone on the Sabres is below a Dahlin but the point is, I have never seen it hinder his game even if he isn't the fastest skater. He is quick and agile. 

So that brings us to the rest of his game. He is smart with the puck and makes good decisions. There is some stick dangles in his arsenal that he has pulled out. He is a north south player. The one criticism is there isn't a lot of flash to his game. You aren't going to see him deke 3 guys and wrist one home. He might cut around 1 though and shoot. His work along the boards is very solid. His size helps but he battles well for pucks. His defensive zone work from what I saw is solid. He isn't a puck chaser and mainly covers his guy. Still might need some more work on positioning but that's normal. 

All in all Boldy is a top 6 winger with top line potential due to his ability to adapt his game coupled with an excellent shot. 

9 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Thanks for this! We don’t have our second this year, right? Would he be a reach with our second first?

At 30 or 31,  I would not say that would be a reach. Of course, I also don't worry about his height as many might. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Matthew Boldy LW, 6'2" 192lbs, April 5th, 2001.

Imagine if you had a Swiss Army Knife but it was made in America, I give you Boldy. You want him to be the trigger guy, fine he has a good shot. You need him to feed Caufield, fine he has good passing. You need him to defend, fine he will do that too. You need him to open a bottle of wine, idk he can probably do that. He basically slides into whatever role the US Nat team gives him. He played with Zegras while Turcotte was out and so he was a sniper. His shot is underrated a bit and it has some power. He isn't as dynamic as Caufield but he's pretty good with it. Now when Turcotte came back he started playing a bit more of an either or game. I mean he either shot or passed more often. When he ended up on a line with Caufield, he went full on passing machine. That's basically how he goes. Whatever type of player you need, he adapts and does it. 

Let's talk about his skating. His skating is going to be a little divisive. On the one hand you will notice he is strong on the skates and has good edgework and agility. His top end speed is above average and his acceleration I would say is good. So his skating overall is good. It is better than Reinhart but below a Dahlin... okay everyone on the Sabres is below a Dahlin but the point is, I have never seen it hinder his game even if he isn't the fastest skater. He is quick and agile. 

So that brings us to the rest of his game. He is smart with the puck and makes good decisions. There is some stick dangles in his arsenal that he has pulled out. He is a north south player. The one criticism is there isn't a lot of flash to his game. You aren't going to see him deke 3 guys and wrist one home. He might cut around 1 though and shoot. His work along the boards is very solid. His size helps but he battles well for pucks. His defensive zone work from what I saw is solid. He isn't a puck chaser and mainly covers his guy. Still might need some more work on positioning but that's normal. 

All in all Boldy is a top 6 winger with top line potential due to his ability to adapt his game coupled with an excellent shot. 

At 30 or 31, no I would not say that would be a reach. Of course, I also don't worry about his height as many might. 

I can’t thank you enough for this. I don’t always see eye-to-eye when it comes to the Sabres, but you certainly know prospects and the draft. The more I hear about Boldy, the more I want him. Something I used to hear a lot in the army and have since used in my coaching repertoire is that you can either be smart or strong. It almost sounds like he’s said ***** it and does both, which is obviously best case scenario. 

1 minute ago, #freejame said:

I can’t thank you enough for this. I don’t always see eye-to-eye when it comes to the Sabres, but you certainly know prospects and the draft. The more I hear about Boldy, the more I want him. Something I used to hear a lot in the army and have since used in my coaching repertoire is that you can either be smart or strong. It almost sounds like he’s said ***** it and does both, which is obviously best case scenario. 

I read a lot of draft reports and anyone I find interesting I find video on. Also the international tourneys help because you can watch a lot of players all at once. 

I would agree that Boldy is smart and strong. He will get stronger too. He is going to Boston College and will play with Alex Newhook next season. 

20 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Boldy stuff:

Thank you for these, they’re certainly helpful particularly the first video. I agree that he could improve his posture while skating, and I would like to see him use his frame more, but he isn’t an overly large 6’2” and his awareness seems to be at s pretty high level. I would like to see a bit more physicality with his size and needs for the team, but I wouldnt complain if he was the pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Thank you for these, they’re certainly helpful particularly the first video. I agree that he could improve his posture while skating, and I would like to see him use his frame more, but he isn’t an overly large 6’2” and his awareness seems to be at s pretty high level. I would like to see a bit more physicality with his size and needs for the team, but I wouldnt complain if he was the pick. 

If you take Boldy you are taking the guy who is 100% going to be a strong NHL player.  Other guys may have higher ceilings but I really love Boldy's all round game.  Think he brings a lot of what the Sabres are missing.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, utsvävande said:

We're not too far off Liger, but I expect fewer players to be there. I'm hoping for Robertson at 31 and Beaucage at 60-whatever, but currently believe that I'll be grabbing Beaucage at 31 and Pinto at 60-whatever.

I'd guess Beaucage production helps him rise to 31? If we walked out with Roberstson and Beaucage, I would be amazed and very happy. Both can stay in junior for 2 years if needed and then come to Rochester for that 3rd year. I know Botterill likes the College and Euro route but you can't pigeonhole yourself like that. 

Pinto would be 67th and I would be okay with that. 

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd guess Beaucage production helps him rise to 31? If we walked out with Roberstson and Beaucage, I would be amazed and very happy. Both can stay in junior for 2 years if needed and then come to Rochester for that 3rd year. I know Botterill likes the College and Euro route but you can't pigeonhole yourself like that. 

Pinto would be 67th and I would be okay with that. 

I REALLY hope he wouldn't, too. You've convinced me on these guys. But we'd have to see a break of trend. If guys like that are on the board it'll be a great test of said trend. 

Edited by Thorny

47 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Ya me too, he's the guy I want. Or Byram if he somehow falls. 

I’m on the Turcotte train myself.

Leaning Turcotte, Byrum, Boldy, I think.

Krebs has grown on me to the point he might be next, but he, Zegras, Dach and Cozens are pretty much a pick ‘em next.

I would be mildly disappointed with Caufield, or Pod, or even Newhook, but only because I think we’d be leaving a better guy on the board. A reach for a defenceman would be the only thing that would make me upset.

"First and foremost, Keppen is considered a goal scorer. But I think his playmaking abilities are underrated. Of his 23 assists to date this season, 18 of them are primary assists, third only to Arthur Kaliyev (20) and Philip Tomasino (21) and tied with Ryan Suzuki among draft eligible players. His primary assists to assists (78.2%) is second among all players next to fellow draft eligible Connor McMichael (82.7%)."

"Keppen is a true power forward that won’t beat defenders with finesse, but rather to blow through them at any given opportunity. He’s as strong as an ox already and is just going to get stronger as he physically matures. His style alone opens up space for himself and his teammates. He’s willing to drive to the goal with and without the puck. He is extremely good on the forecheck and rarely loses a puck battle. When combined with his relentless work ethic, he is quite simply a physical beast."

https://ohlwriters.me/2019/02/12/ethan-keppen-flint-firebirds-player-profile/

I'm working off of eliteprospects data, so I don't have even strength points.

Speaking of which, I've been thinking about spending some time and figuring out where Turcotte would be rated without Hughes, since Hughes has a minimal effect on Turcotte's numbers. Also Turcotte gets very little power play time. For me it's not worth the time anyway, because if Turcotte is there I'm taking him, probably as high as picking 3rd.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, utsvävande said:

I'm working off of eliteprospects data, so I don't have even strength points.

Speaking of which, I've been thinking about spending some time and figuring out where Turcotte would be rated without Hughes, since Hughes has a minimal effect on Turcotte's numbers. Also Turcotte gets very little power play time. For me it's not worth the time anyway, because if Turcotte is there I'm taking him, probably as high as picking 3rd.

Turcotte's ppg is really good. I think he has some things to work on but overall he's the 2nd best player on that usdp team

I also have been thinking about a player's team point percentage. For example if a player is on a trash team but contributes to 40% of his team's goals, that's pretty good.