2019 NHL Draft

LGR4GM

At this point I am operating under the assumption our 2nd first round pick will be in the 28-31 range. As such, I am in favor of Nicholas Robertson. The kid is one of the youngest in the draft. He skates well and has an actual no quit attitude. He's a non stop, in your face, let's get this done player with offensive skills as well. I want him on this team. 

• Like (+1) 1

here is a very good podcast from a couple of guys who have seen a lot of Byram playing in Vancouver. They poke some holes in his game that might make a team hesitant to take him when elite can't miss forwards are also available.  Still think he will be gone prior to the Sabres but you never know....

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/canucks-central-at-noon/

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Not sure I can trust a draft that claims Byram is a right hand shot (he's a lefty). That said, they have him going at 5, which if he is still there, I firmly believe will be the pick at this time. 

Or one that has the STL going to Anaheim at 17th and that has San Jose keeping their pick  at 31. 

19 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Or one that has the STL going to Anaheim at 17th and that has San Jose keeping their pick  at 31. 

Also thinks that the NYI would be in the cup final. Granted this came out the 30th but Carolina was already up 2-0 so that was a bold prediction. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Latest athletic write up for those who subscribe... interesting read about late 1st and lower round pics, lots to absorb: Wheeler: Final ranking for the 2019 NHL Draft’s top 100 prospects 
https://theathletic.com/947751/2019/05/06/wheeler-final-ranking-for-the-2019-nhl-drafts-top-100-prospects/

On 5/2/2019 at 11:35 AM, LGR4GM said:

What do you want to bet? 

Keep in mind that LA hasn't drafted a defender in round 1 since 2010 and Derek Forbort. They have however drafted... 4 centers in round 1 and 2 over the last 2 years: Kupari, Vilardi, Thomas, and Anderson-Dolan. The only LHD in their system under the age of 27 worth noting is Kale Clague.

The only way he gets past LA is if they have a different defender ranked higher. I just doubt that currently. 

What happened to BPA? Is it a thing or not?

3 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Biggest non-sabres sabres game tonight since when?

It would be nice to get the higher pick, but a difference of ~10 spots in that area may not matter if there's say a run on CHL players in that area. Botterill could still get his top choice in that scenario. 

17 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It would be nice to get the higher pick, but a difference of ~10 spots in that area may not matter if there's say a run on CHL players in that area. Botterill could still get his top choice in that scenario. 

In this spot of the draft (first round) I would argue there is a decent value bump moving up 10 spots.  Obviously you still have to choose the right player at that spot but I think the odds of hitting it are decently higher.

Plus it doesn’t cost the sabres anything except having to watch the stars in the conference finals.

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

It matters, there's a tier difference, maybe 2 between 19 and 29. 

33 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I almost want to see us pick Dach or Cozens over Americans I like better just to squash the CHL myth.

Of course, what we will probably do is reach for York or Broberg and guarantee it lives forever.

The chances of it being a myth, when he's gone two straight years without picking a CHL player, when no other GM has done so, seems pretty darn unlikely. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Last time we saw a fall like that his name was Grigorenko. 

Boldy is going to be a nice edition to the Sabres.

If they draft Boldy. I'm not convinced of anything for that pick. 

Now the 28th - 31st pick should be interesting. Can start looking at certain players. 

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I guess.  I’m trading down possibly if I can pick up a 2nd.  

I wouldn't. The tier ends at roughly 11 for the 5-11 range, 3rd tier. You go past 11 and it is a completely different ball game. I would rather get someone in that 3rd tier and be near the top of it so I get the player I want as a gm. 

50 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I wouldn't. The tier ends at roughly 11 for the 5-11 range, 3rd tier. You go past 11 and it is a completely different ball game. I would rather get someone in that 3rd tier and be near the top of it so I get the player I want as a gm. 

I’m talking about the late 1st.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

57 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

So Liger, you would rather be at the top of a tier rather than the bottom of a tier?

4 minutes ago, utsvävande said:

So Liger, you would rather be at the top of a tier rather than the bottom of a tier?

I feel like you know something I don't but yes. 

Of course hearing that GA meant the 2nd first, we could theoretically trade down from that. 

Pick 18 vs pick 30 since 2006

Pick 18 Chris Stewart   652GP 160G 161A
Pick 18 Ian Cole   476GP  22G 90A
Pick 18 Chet Pickart 0GP
Pick 18 Louis Leblanc 50GP 5G 5A
Pick 18 Austin Watson 253GP 30G 33A
Pick 18 Mark McNeill 2GP 0G 0A
Pick 18 Teuvo Teravainne 360GP 76G 150A
Pick 18 Mirco Mueller 135GP 3G 18A
Pick 18 Alex Tuch 158GP 35G 54A
Pick 18 Thomas Chabot 134GP 23G 57A
Pick 18 Logan Stanley 0GP
Pick 18 Urho Vaakanainen 2Gp 0G 0A
Pick 18 Liam Foudy 0GP

Pick 30  Matt Corrente  34GP 0G 6A
Pick 30 Nick Ross   0GP
Pick 30 Tom McCollum Goalie 3GP
Pick 30 Simon Despres 193GP 6G 37A
Pick 30 Brock Nelson 480GP 124G 117A
Pick 30 Rickard Rakell 382GP 114G 127A
Pick 30 Tanner Pearson 388GP 87G 83A
Pick 30 Ryan Hartman   245GP 42A 47A
Pick 30 John Quenneville 33Gp 2G 3A
Pick 30 Nick Merkley 1GP 0G 0A
Pick 30 Sam Steel 22GP 6G 5A
Pick 30 Eeli Tolvanen 7GP 1G 1A
Pick 30 Joseph Veleno 0GP

Draft Pick 18 - 2222 games played   354G 548A
Draft Pick 30  - 1785 Games playes 382G 426A    

Not too much of a discrepancy between the two slots.  Chabot is probably the best taken at 18, though I really like Tuch as well

30th has produced Brock Nelson but I really like Steel and think he will be a very good NHL player for the Ducks.

I would say that since 2010 the 30th overall pick has been fairly solid. The only one I would question is Merkley -  he had a bit of a tough season in 18/19 but was a point a game player the year prior in the AHL.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I feel like you know something I don't but yes. 

Of course hearing that GA meant the 2nd first, we could theoretically trade down from that. 

If you are at the top of the tier you get to choose the player who you think would best fit your team. Though, if moving to the bottom of the tier you were able to pick up another asset then it would be worth moving down.

• Like (+1) 1