2019 NHL Draft

LGR4GM

6 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

In other words, do you expect players like Cozens/ Dach/ Zegras, Turcotte to be better than what we expected Mitts to be right from the get go or will they need some AHL time. Will Byram likely be twice as good as Risto or 10x better or is he Keith or TJ Brennan?

I know it wasn’t directed at me, but here is my opinion.  Tried to address your question best I could.

After Hughes and Kakko, the next group of players: Byram, Turcotte, Podkolzin, Dach, Zegras, Krebs, Cozens, Boldy all probably will get 1 or 2 years before being full time NHLers.  None of them are expected to be NHL ready.  I think that group has very similar hype/expectations as Nylander and Mittlestadt had at the time of their drafts, along with guys like Dubois, M. Tkachuk, Sergachev, Puljujarvi, Chychrun, Juolevi from 2016; and guys like Makar, Pettersson, Glass, Vilardi from 2017.

Newhook, Caufield, York, Soderstrom, Broberg are generally rated just below this group, but have the potential to be selected before some of them.

There is definitely no Dahlin, McDavid level prospect in this draft, and honestly probably no Eichel, Matthews level prospect.  Hughes and Kakko are probably more comparable to Hischier, Laine level prospects.  However, the group of guys after that is deeper than normal, IMO.  With something like 15 players who could would go in the top 10 most years.  I think that’s the real strength of this draft compared to most years, the quality of the players who will be available in the 5-15 range.

Edited by Curtisp5286
  • Like (+1) 5

23 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Nice post Curtis. I’d add Krebs and Caufield to your list of guys just a year or two away.  

Oops, Krebs was a pure oversite.  Added him.  I actually like him a lot, probably more than most.  Caufield I agree, but I personally would rate him below all those players in that large group, or Tier 2.  He is a wildcard though and I wouldn’t be shocked to see a team take him in the top 10.

Edited by Curtisp5286

3 hours ago, Curtisp5286 said:

I know it wasn’t directed at me, but here is my opinion.  Tried to address your question best I could.

After Hughes and Kakko, the next group of players: Byram, Turcotte, Podkolzin, Dach, Zegras, Krebs, Cozens, Boldy all probably will get 1 or 2 years before being full time NHLers.  None of them are expected to be NHL ready.  I think that group has very similar hype/expectations as Nylander and Mittlestadt had at the time of their drafts, along with guys like Dubois, M. Tkachuk, Sergachev, Puljujarvi, Chychrun, Juolevi from 2016; and guys like Makar, Pettersson, Glass, Vilardi from 2017.

Newhook, Caufield, York, Soderstrom, Broberg are generally rated just below this group, but have the potential to be selected before some of them.

There is definitely no Dahlin, McDavid level prospect in this draft, and honestly probably no Eichel, Matthews level prospect.  Hughes and Kakko are probably more comparable to Hischier, Laine level prospects.  However, the group of guys after that is deeper than normal, IMO.  With something like 15 players who could would go in the top 10 most years.  I think that’s the real strength of this draft compared to most years, the quality of the players who will be available in the 5-15 range.

Thanks....helps a lot. So we're probably not looking at any immediate help and that's what I was looking at. I have ideas as to whom I like for a pick but your assessment is helpful in evaluating those ideas.

Thanks also to @GASabresIUFAN for reminding me about Krebs.

17 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Maybe you could help us a bit. Rather than rating these players against each other in a mock draft, could you compare them to lets say....Mitts/ Nylander/ Risto or others as far as the hype around those players as the draft closed in on us and what to maybe expect from these picks in comparison to past picks. In other words, do you expect players like Cozens/ Dach/ Zegras, Turcotte to be better than what we expected Mitts to be right from the get go or will they need some AHL time. Will Byram likely be twice as good as Risto or 10x better or is he Keith or TJ Brennan?

I think this would help in any confusion as to what to expect instead of which pick is better than rest. If you compare Turcotte and Zegras it doesn't give us any idea of how they compare to Mitts. Are any of them better and can we expect more than other players that we picked in that general area of the draft. Seeing that you think Byram will be gone before we pick, what other Dman would you rate as the best option for us? Is there a Dman who might rate somewhere between a Dahlin and Risto in terms of pure talent.

Thanks ahead of time for all your input and time you put into this.

Roughly and based off of potential not what they are guaranteed to be. 

McDavid>> > Hughes 1 > Hischier (All have decent shots and are decent 2-way centers who can do most things well. I think their skating has to be good but Hughes IMPO will be a step above Hischier)

Laine > Kakko 1.5 > W. Nylander (Wingers who are known for their shooting and can take a hit and keep trucking)

Dahlin > Byram 2 > Risto (Defenders that are offensive minded, Byram will be better in the defensive end than risto)

Matthews > Cozens 2 > Mitts (Centers with more finesse in their games and good shots, yes ik Matthews has a very good shot)

Monahan > Turcotte 2 > Keller (2 way guys with some grit that dog the puck carrier and battle. All have good shots)

Tkachuk > Boldy 3 > W. Nylander (Wingers with a 2 way flair and again some grit. I would argue that this list of wingers has slightly worse shots but ignore W Nylander on here twice)

Marner >> Zegras/Krebs 3 >/= Reinhart (Zegras and Krebs skate better but they have a similar cerebral game with the excellent passing)

Caufield 4 = Debrincat (Little guys that can score. Debrincat skates better)

McDavid >>> Newhook 3 > Barzal (Now this one was fun. You need to have exceptional skating, puck handling, vision, and a decent shot. That leaves us with this trio. From the absurd McDavid to the fun to watch Barzal, I think Newhook slides in between. Newhook is low on draft boards because of his BCHL stuff which is dumb. He was tied with Krebs on team Canada at the U18's in points. He can play at the next level and will. He is probably the 2nd best skater in the class behind Hughes.) 

This is just a rough approximation for these players. This is not to say that Turcotte is better than Clayton Keller more that he would be ranked ahead of him in their draft year. I also added Tiers next to each player for help with that too. Tiers are straightforward for me. Tier one is can't miss, going to be really good in the NHL, All Star level. Tier 2 is should make it, probably first line player, might be an all star. Tier 3 is should make it, top 6 potential, some all star potential but some uncertainty. Tier 4 is top 6 potential, probably not an all star, some uncertainty. Again, I am doing this as a rough approximation and not an in depth analysis. Other posters will have different views. None of them really compare to our Nylander. Our Nylander is a finesse player and honestly, there isn't a lot of perimeter finesse guys in the top10. 

Edited by LGR4GM

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Watching the Avs last night, does Boldy have a similar game to Rantanen?

The description matches and Rantanen went ninth (and is a helluva player)

I don't have a good memory on Rantanen going into the draft and have not watched much of him this season so I couldn't say. My instincts would have me say, yes. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Roughly and based off of potential not what they are guaranteed to be. 

McDavid>> > Hughes 1 > Hischier (All have decent shots and are decent 2-way centers who can do most things well. I think their skating has to be good but Hughes IMPO will be a step above Hischier)

Laine > Kakko 1.5 > W. Nylander (Wingers who are known for their shooting and can take a hit and keep trucking)

Dahlin > Byram 2 > Risto (Defenders that are offensive minded, Byram will be better in the defensive end than risto)

Matthews > Cozens 2 > Mitts (Centers with more finesse in their games and good shots, yes ik Matthews has a very good shot)

Monahan > Turcotte 2 > Keller (2 way guys with some grit that dog the puck carrier and battle. All have good shots)

Tkachuk > Boldy 3 > W. Nylander (Wingers with a 2 way flair and again some grit. I would argue that this list of wingers has slightly worse shots but ignore W Nylander on here twice)

Marner >> Zegras/Krebs 3 >/= Reinhart (Zegras and Krebs skate better but they have a similar cerebral game with the excellent passing)

Caufield 4 = Debrincat (Little guys that can score. Debrincat skates better)

McDavid >>> Newhook 3 > Barzal (Now this one was fun. You need to have exceptional skating, puck handling, vision, and a decent shot. That leaves us with this trio. From the absurd McDavid to the fun to watch Barzal, I think Newhook slides in between. Newhook is low on draft boards because of his BCHL stuff which is dumb. He was tied with Krebs on team Canada at the U18's in points. He can play at the next level and will. He is probably the 2nd best skater in the class behind Hughes.) 

This is just a rough approximation for these players. This is not to say that Turcotte is better than Clayton Keller more that he would be ranked ahead of him in their draft year. I also added Tiers next to each player for help with that too. Tiers are straightforward for me. Tier one is can't miss, going to be really good in the NHL, All Star level. Tier 2 is should make it, probably first line player, might be an all star. Tier 3 is should make it, top 6 potential, some all star potential but some uncertainty. Tier 4 is top 6 potential, probably not an all star, some uncertainty. Again, I am doing this as a rough approximation and not an in depth analysis. Other posters will have different views. None of them really compare to our Nylander. Our Nylander is a finesse player and honestly, there isn't a lot of perimeter finesse guys in the top10. 

Thanks again and very helpful.

One question....I thought Cozens was one of the best skaters in this class?

4 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

He's one of the fastest skaters in the class. I would say he skates well outside of that speed but Newhook, Hughes, and a couple others are more dynamic. Granted Cozens could be more dynamic after he fills into his body more. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I would say that he is an overall very good skater, especially for his size.  Excellent straight line speed.  Agility, edges not as excellent, but still good.

• Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, primeme said:

Only 2 post about Dallas winning game 5 ...WOW........I think its big a deal picking 17-19 vs 30-31...more people talking about games of thrones

as someone who doesn't believe in jinxes... i don't want to jinx it.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/capitals/2019-nhl-mock-draft-20-its-still-jack-hughes-draft#slide-8

Turcotte to the Sabres @ 7.  If this happens there will be much rejoicing.

Not sure I can trust a draft that claims Byram is a right hand shot (he's a lefty). That said, they have him going at 5, which if he is still there, I firmly believe will be the pick at this time. 

On 5/4/2019 at 8:49 PM, primeme said:

Only 2 post about Dallas winning game 5 ...WOW........I think its big a deal picking 17-19 vs 30-31...more people talking about games of thrones

More people talk about Game of Thrones than presidential elections and you are surprised about this?

You've much to learn. ?

2 minutes ago, LTS said:

More people talk about Game of Thrones than presidential elections and you are surprised about this?

You've much to learn. ?

I'm all for doing our elections GoT style. Trump already sht's gold and I'm pretty sure he'd bang a family member or two so we already have a Lannister on the throne as it is

9 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I'm all for doing our elections GoT style. Trump already sht's gold and I'm pretty sure he'd bang a family member or two so we already have a Lannister on the throne as it is

FWIW - I have no idea what you are referring to as I have never seen an episode of the series and pay no attention to it.  But I'll go with it I suppose.