2019 NHL Draft

LGR4GM

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

We are in the midst of another great Buffalo tease.

If Dallas wins, the Sabres pick no worse than 19.

If Dallas, Colorado and Columbus win, the Sabres pick 17.

But you know San Jose and St. Louis will both win, meaning the Sabres pick no better than 30th.

With series clinching goals by O'Reilly and Kane, right? That would be the most Buffalo thing to happen I would think.

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

We are in the midst of another great Buffalo tease.

If Dallas wins, the Sabres pick no worse than 19.

If Dallas, Colorado and Columbus win, the Sabres pick 17.

But you know San Jose and St. Louis will both win, meaning the Sabres pick no better than 30th.

and if carolina wins we get 16

Found this on NHL.com  http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26377

Entry Draft Order
The order of selection among the Member Clubs in each season shall be determined in the following manner:
A composite of all Member Clubs shall be prepared by placing:
i) First the Clubs which failed to qualify for the preceding playoffs in the order of points earned by each of them in the regular schedule of the preceding season starting with the Club having the lowest points total and followed by the Club having the next lowest points total, and so forth.
ii) The Clubs which participated in the preceding playoffs (but had not been ranked first in their respective Divisions and had not won the Stanley Cup that season) in order of points earned by each of them in the regular schedule of the preceding season starting with the Club having the lowest total points and followed by the Club having the next lowest total points, and so forth.
iii) The Clubs which had been ranked first in their Divisions during the next preceding season (but had not won the Stanley Cup that season) in the order of points earned by each of them in the regular schedule of the preceding season starting with the Club having the lowest total points and followed by the Club having the next lowest total points, and so forth.
iv) The Stanley Cup winner shall select last, thus, positioning all Clubs on the list.

In the event of a tie for any position, such tie shall be resolved by application of the rules governing the determination of final League standings. The resulting list shall constitute the order of selection.

The Cup winner drafts last, then the 4 Division winner (if one doesn’t win the Cup) then remaining playoffs based on regular season points.  This says nothing about Cup runner-up or conference finalists.

Right now all 4 Division winners are out.  

So the draft order is 

31 Cup Winner (Boston the favorite?)

30 TB

29 Calg

28 Wash

27 Nash

26 NYI

25 SJ

24 Tor

23 Pitt

22 Wpj

21 Car

20 Stl

19 CBJ

18 Dallas

17 LV

16 Colo

I think we need Colorado, Dallas or CBJ to Win the Cup for Stl to fall to 19th.

14 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Found this on NHL.com  http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26377

The Cup winner drafts last, then the 4 Division winner (if one doesn’t win the Cup) then remaining playoffs based on regular season points.  This says nothing about Cup runner-up or conference finalists.

Right now all 4 Division winners are out.  

So the draft order is 

31 Cup Winner (Boston the favorite?)

30 TB

29 Calg

28 Wash

27 Nash

26 NYI

25 SJ

24 Tor

23 Pitt

22 Wpj

21 Car

20 Stl

19 CBJ

18 Dallas

17 LV

16 Colo

I think we need Colorado, Dallas or CBJ to Win the Cup for Stl to fall to 19th.

This is old, outdated information.  I know it’s on NHL.com, but I’m 95% sure that it’s incorrect.  There is other info on NHL.com which contradicts it, and describes the way the draft order has been set since the current CBA went into affect.  The conference finalists get the last 4 spots, and then it’s decided by points after that.  

Just look at how the draft has been the past few years.  The process hasn’t changed.

Edited by Curtisp5286

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

My random player for the day:

Shane Pinto. 6'2" 192lb Center. He played in the USHL. Sounds like a competitor and might, might be around in the 3rd. 

I've seen him play, he's a horse out on the ice!!

16 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Wrong.  Both had 99 points.  Canes had 44 ROW; Blues 42.

17-19 are the possible spots should Dallas win 4 of the next 6.

do we know for sure that the hurricanes being a wild card participant doesn’t trump this?

15 hours ago, Hoss said:

do we know for sure that the hurricanes being a wild card participant doesn’t trump this?

Yes we do.

Draft seeding is set by teams falling in the following categories:

Lottery winner;

Lottery runner up;

Lottery 3rd;

Remaining lottery eligible teams;

Non RS division winners eliminated in 1st 2 rounds;

RS division winners eliminated in 1st 2 rounds;

Conference finalists;

SC finalist;

SC winner.

In each category, teams are seeded in inverse order to their RS ranking.

Wildcard is NOT a category / subcategory effecting draft order.

• Like (+1) 1

April ISS Hockey Top 31 Ranked Prospects for 2019 NHL Draft

Rank Name D.O.B Team League Position Shot Height Weight
1 Hughes, Jack May 14/01 USA U18 NTDP C L 5.10.25* 168
2 Kakko, Kaapo Feb 13/01 TPS Turku FinE RW L 6.02.25* 194
3 Byram, Bowen Jun 13/01 Vancouver WHL LD L 6.00.5* 194
4 Podkolzin, Vasily Jun 24/01 St. Petersburg KHL LW L 6.01 190
5 Cozens, Dylan Feb 9/01 Lethbridge WHL C R 6.03* 181
6 Turcotte, Alex Feb 26/01 USA U18 NTDP C L 5.11* 189
7 Dach, Kirby Jan 21/01 Saskatoon WHL C R 6.03.5* 199
8 Boldy, Matthew Apr 5/01 USA U18 NTDP C L 6.00.75* 175
9 Zegras, Trevor Mar 20/01 USA U18 NTDP C L 5.10.75* 159
10 Krebs, Peyton Jan 26/01 Kootenay WHL LW L 5.11.25* 180
11 York, Cam Jan 5/01 USA U18 NTDP LD L 5.10.75* 163
12 Lavoie, Raphael Sep 25/00 Halifax QMJHL C R 6.03.5* 191
13 Soderstrom, Victor Feb 26/01 Brynas SweJE LD R 5.11* 179
14 Newhook, Alex Jan 28/01 Victoria BCHL C L 5.10.5* 195
15 Harley, Thomas Aug 19/01 Mississauga OHL D L 6.03* 188
16 Caufield, Cole Jan 2/01 USA U18 NTDP C R 5.06* 150
17 Robertson, Matthew Mar 9/01 Edmonton WHL LD L 6.03* 201
18 Poulin, Samuel Feb 25/01 Sherbrooke QMJHL LW L 6.01.25* 206
19 Tomasino, Philip Jul 28/01 Niagara OHL C R 5.11.75* 178
20 Suzuki, Ryan May 28/01 Barrie OHL C L 6.00.25* 178
21 Broberg, Philip Jun 25/01 AIK IF SweAl LD L 6.02.75* 199
22 Nikolayev, Ilya Jun 26/01 Yaroslavl Loko MHL C L 6 190
23 Brink, Bobby Jul 8/01 Sioux City USHL C R 5.08.25* 159
24 Leason, Brett Apr 30/99 Prince Albert WHL C R 6.03.75* 200
25 Bjornfot, Tobias Apr 6/01 Djurgardens J20 SweJE LD L 6.00* 202
26 Afanasyev, Egor Jan 23/01 Muskegon USHL C L 6.03.5* 201
27 Seider, Moritz Apr 6/01 Mannheimer GerE RD R 6.03.5* 183
28 Kaliyev, Arthur Jun 26/01 Hamilton OHL LW L 6.01.25* 190
29 Korczak, Kaedan Jan 29/01 Kelowna WHL RD R 6.02.75* 192
30 Warren, Marshall Apr 20/01 USA U18 NTDP LD L 5.10.25* 161
31 Pelletier, Jakob Mar 7/01 Moncton QMJHL C L 5.09* 161
Goaltenders                
1 Knight, Spencer DE Apr 19/01 USA U18 NTDP G L 6.02.5* 193
2 Kochetkov, Pyotr RE Jun 25/99 Ryazan VHL G L 6.03 205

Published April 3, 2019

USA U18 centerman Alex Turcotte takes the #6 spot in the April ISS Rankings after a sensational post-injury run. Dennis MacInnis, Director of Scouting for ISS Hockey, observed Turcotte’s skills, stating:

“Alex missed a bunch of games due to injury early in the season but since his return he’s been LIGHTS OUT. As a result, he has moved back up the rankings to #6 overall. Turcotte is a crafty two-way player with speed, slick passing skills and offensive instincts; his grit and passion are just a bonus. He’s fast, smart and skilled with the ability to be a difference maker.”

28 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Mock Draft from The Score:

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1755689

wow, this would be an amazing result for the Sabres.  I guess the reality is now it is possible, especially if Caufield gets taken before they pick.  Imagine a team being able to write in Dahlin and Byram as their top 2 LHD for the next 10-13 years

Edited by Crusader1969
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

wow, this would be an amazing result for the Sabres.  I guess the reality is now it is possible, especially if Caufield gets taken before they pick.  Imagine a team being able to write in Dahlin and Byram as their top 2 LHD for the next 10-13 years

We'll have drafted the top rated defenceman two years in a row, with one being a first overall. Sign me up. 

Botterill would have to venture into the CHL, though..

Edited by Thorny

21 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

We'll have drafted the top rated defenceman two years in a row, with one being a first overall. Sign me up. 

Botterill would have to venture into the CHL, though..

Byram is an outstanding defenseman and would solidify the Top 4, however this team’s prospect pool is woefully short of Top 6 Forwards. Is there more value in a future Top 6 Forward or a 2nd Pairing D Man at 7th Overall? 

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Byram is an outstanding defenseman and would solidify the Top 4, however this team’s prospect pool is woefully short of Top 6 Forwards. Is there more value in a future Top 6 Forward or a 2nd Pairing D Man at 7th Overall? 

I bet you the second pair D can play more minutes a game than whoever that forward is. 

If Byram is as good as they say, I much fancy the idea of having one of Dahlin or Byram on the ice for basically the entirety of every playoff game, once we eventually make it. 

And I'm sure the difference between Byram and McCabe on pair 2 is as large or larger than the gap between potential forward selection/current forward. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

You say second because Dahlin is 1st LD? Because Boldy looks like he could be a 1st pairing guy to me.

This draft is starting to scare me: too many potential first-liners available where we are picking. You know one or two will boom and one or two will bust and we can’t afford to be the latter.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

The Sabres prospect pool is woefully short on both top 6 forwards & top 4 D.  I'm fine w/ them emulating the Ducks from ~ a dozen years ago playing either Pronger or Neidermayer essentially the entire game.  If Byram really is the top D prospect, landing him would not be a bad thing.  (No schlitz, Sherlock. ;))

20 minutes ago, Hoss said:

the sabres need to take BPA. if the staff judges that to be byram that’s fine. i’m rooting forward but won’t do a backflip into a pool full of sharks if it’s not.

Given where we are today, how could anyone not suggest BPA?  Just get some friggin talent in hte door.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Weave said:

Given where we are today, how could anyone not suggest BPA?  Just get some friggin talent in hte door.

Don't disagree, and given where Byram is ranked on most lists, if he's available at 7 I wouldn't be surprised if he's exactly that. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/326522/bowen-byram - his placement in some rankings there, nothing higher than 6. Honestly, I'll be very surprised if he falls to 7.