2019 NHL Draft

LGR4GM

A Public Service Announcement, and my unsolicited two cents ..

There was a bit of a dust up in another thread around drafts, analysis, language and posting style.  Unrelated to the dust up, the thread referenced a site, below, hosting a @rakish / @LGR4GM draft podcast.

Check it out.  The thoughtfulness and thoroughness impressed me, greatly.  There is substance beyond the form.  The same can be said for the polite and collegial tone.  There is grace and humility behind the ideas.

Banging out posts isn’t an ideal way to get points across.  We know this.  Reading posts isn’t an ideal way to measure a human being.  We remember this.

Good work, gentlemen.

www.45b.us

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 5

That was very touching @Neo, thank you.

So North Buffalo, you get that the name 'rakish' is meant to be funny? When I was trying to meet WC at the draft a couple years ago, I described myself as looking like the bass player in a ZZ Top cover band, but your description isn't far off either.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, rakish said:

So North Buffalo, you get that the name 'rakish' is meant to be funny? When I was trying to meet WC at the draft a couple years ago, I described myself as looking like the bass player in a ZZ Top cover band, but your description isn't far off either.

Grew up with that type, my Dad was an English Professor and Trombonist... you sound like a lot of his fellow professors.

2 hours ago, rakish said:

You will always be Tim Connolly to me.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, rakish said:

Wasnt sure though if it was like for leafs or the nautical term.  Though Leafs makes sense.

Edited by North Buffalo

• spndnchz unpinned this topic
  • 5 months later...

Just an interesting note. Dustin Wolf who probably should have gone in the top 3-4 rounds (goalie) went in round 7 at 214th overall. That is 4 picks before the end of the draft. He is currently leading the WHL with a sv% of .943

I am mentioning this because you always want to trust the numbers when they match the eye test. I am not saying Buffalo should have drafted him. We got Portillo. I am just saying that when you see good underlying numbers, read good scouting reports, and see a good player, then all 3 add up so trust that. 

One last thought. I like some of what Colorado is doing. They took Byram, Newhook, Beucage, Helleson and Burzan in this past draft. That's a really solid looking group and I love the Newhook, Beaucage, and Burzan picks because I think they represent really good value. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Just an interesting note. Dustin Wolf who probably should have gone in the top 3-4 rounds (goalie) went in round 7 at 214th overall. That is 4 picks before the end of the draft. He is currently leading the WHL with a sv% of .943

I am mentioning this because you always want to trust the numbers when they match the eye test. I am not saying Buffalo should have drafted him. We got Portillo. I am just saying that when you see good underlying numbers, read good scouting reports, and see a good player, then all 3 add up so trust that. 

One last thought. I like some of what Colorado is doing. They took Byram, Newhook, Beucage, Helleson and Burzan in this past draft. That's a really solid looking group and I love the Newhook, Beaucage, and Burzan picks because I think they represent really good value. 

I think that if save percentage meant anything, drafting goaltenders would be easy