2019 NHL Draft

LGR4GM

1 minute ago, North Buffalo said:

Really, Schoeney would have one punched Chara, those guys knew how to fight... even many of the skilled ones.  Perrault did well in his one fight... Scott Stevens would have killed Chara and the list goes on.  The old Isles had a few too that could and would lay the lumber.

Their ***** ankles would collapse in those paper thin skates the moment a guy like Chara lines them up for a hit. 

9 minutes ago, darksabre said:

McSorely would get caved in. 

There's only one guy from NHL history who I think could survive being dropped into a modern game and it's Gordie Howe because he was a freak of nature. Even then they'd have to put him on the 4th line because Johan Larsson would have a better shot.

Gordie even before the world discovered PEDs.  I think he'd do alright in today's game.

image.thumb.png.658fce6016083512ab597135c9d5c7d4.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The way I'd describe it:

From what I've seen of older hockey, space on the ice was there for manipulation. A guy like Gretzky could manipulate it like nobody before or since. That was the game - which team could take advantage of the ice they had more than the other to score as much as possible in a 60 minute time period. While getting assaulted i a way that would be illegal 200 yards away from their location on the ice.

When I watch today's hockey, I see a default of completely gummed-up rubbish, where if two teams are roughly equal, 90% of the game is unremarkable skirmishing for loose pucks without anything super coherent. What breaks the game open is the one time an attacking team, either via coaching technique or raw ability (be it speed, vision, or hands) is able to create new space to fill and attack from. The space needs to be created by teams and stars first right now, before anything can be done with it. This trend is decades in the making, and the development of a 12 year old hockey player has spent that time shifting along with it. I think old stars, average players, and plugs alike would need to be given this time to adapt the same way the kids today have, or their effectiveness would not be as high (which is not saying that a star from the 80s would suck - I just cannot believe he can approach what he did then against what his peers would be today). 

If you gave them this avenue for development, they'd take advantage of it like they took advantage of white ice and their teammates filling the gap, and would roughly be capable of what they were relative to their old peers with their new peers, which means a guy like Gretzky's vision, after working for his entire childhood to develop Sidney Crosby's edgework and Alex Semin's wrist shot, or however he would have doled out the time, would have coupled it to his completely unique brain and made him a 160 point player in today's league, or whatever the domination equivalent is to what he did then. But I think he'd need that time, that work, and that practice against the type of game that I refer to first.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Their ***** ankles would collapse in those paper thin skates the moment a guy like Chara lines them up for a hit. 

Schoeney didnt care reference fight thru zamboni doors with Cashman was throughing hay makers laying on the ground

Edited by North Buffalo

Lucas Feuk was just selected by Calgary. 

Christoffer Ehn plays for Detroit.

Sebastion Aho plays for the Canes.

If there is a hockey god, they will someday play on the same line.

Edited by Tondas
  • Haha (+1) 1

From the athletic draft preview.

Pronmans skating Top skating grades of his  top 45 rated prospects

70 - Jack Hughes, Philip Broberg,

65 - Alex Newhook 

60- Alex Turcotte, Bowen Byram,  Dylan Cozens, Philip Tomasino, John Beecher,  Tobias bjornfoot,  Ryan Johnson

Of course skating isn’t everything but adding 2 of the top 10 skaters isn’t the worst thing in the world 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Aren’t there 2 Ahos?

I knew it. I'm surrounded by Ahos.

Also, the great era vs. era debate. I'm of the opinion that if you just used a time machine and plunked a 1980s team against a modern team -- and kept the 80s equipment, and sticks, and methods, and no video, and diet, and training habits, etc... the modern team would dominate the 80s squad as a team. Watching an 80s game... there's so much space. The defensemen allow so much space and speed through the neutral zone, it's absurd. Then, a standup vs. a butterfly, and pad sizes. Whip in the sticks. And the modern team has the best players in the world on each line, not just Canada and a handful of other players. The 80s team would be ok for a bit, but inexorably be ground down, or the top line would manage to stay afloat, but the bottom end wouldn't stack up.

But! Take a modern team and give them 1980s (or 1950s for even more separation) diet, workout regimen, film study (ha), defensive systems, pads, or no goalie masks, etc. And those 1980s super teams like the Oilers and Isles? Yeah, they still win their Cups.

They're all supreme athletes at the top of their era's game.

In hockey it's less pronounced than it would be in football. Football's modern offensive lines and defensive lines would crush earlier teams by being bigger, stronger, and also faster. Time machine football would be unwatchable.

5 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

From the athletic draft preview.

Pronmans skating Top skating grades of his  top 45 rated prospects

70 - Jack Hughes, Philip Broberg,

65 - Alex Newhook 

60- Alex Turcotte, Bowen Byram,  Dylan Cozens, Philip Tomasino, John Beecher,  Tobias bjornfoot,  Ryan Johnson

Of course skating isn’t everything but adding 2 of the top 10 skaters isn’t the worst thing in the world 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/2019-nhl-combine-results-top-10-drill/

Here are the combine results.  Cozens must be a great athlete because his name appears on most of the lists.  On the Wingate Cycle tests, Cozens was tied for 2nd in mean power and 6th in peak power.

Johnson was 10th in duration in the aerobic fitness test.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Thompson’s brother selected

Sabres winger Tage Thompson’s brother, Tyce, was drafted by the New Jersey Devils with the third pick of the fourth round. Tyce, a 19-year-old forward, scored eight goals among 25 points in 42 regular-season games as a freshman for Providence College, helping the Friars reach the NCAA Frozen Four in Buffalo.