2019 NHL Draft

LGR4GM

34 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I think it means he's reliant on the PP. 

According to the author. 

To be honest it seemed an odd comment, haven't heard that about Zegras before. 

I don’t understand what you think that means about him as a hockey player. You just keep repeating the quoted words.

10 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

I don’t understand what you think that means about him as a hockey player. You just keep repeating the quoted words.

I felt it would come across dickish to break it down this far, so fair warning, that is not the intent:

reliant, adjective

def: "having or showing dependence"

So, when it said "PP reliant" I take that to mean he's dependent on the PP. If a player is dependent on the PP, see, Laine, they produce little of their overall contributions at even strength.

Generally, players that produce at ES are considered to be more valuable than those that produce most of their stuff on the PP. 

Hope that clears it up. 

Edited by Thorny

Maybe he meant reliant ON the PP? The ambiguity of the original statement just became clear to me. 

Seems a safe bet we are operating under different usages of the word, at least, which removes my confusion instantly. 

"PP reliant" or "reliant on the PP" can literally mean two completely different things depending on how you read them. 

Edited by Thorny
Whos on first

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I felt it would come across dickish to break it down this far, so fair warning, that is not the intent:

reliant, adjective

def: "having or showing dependence"

So, when it said "PP reliant" I take that to mean he's dependent on the PP. If a player is dependent on the PP, see, Laine, they produce little of their overall contributions at even strength.

Generally, players that produce at ES are considered to be more valuable than those that produce most of their stuff on the PP. 

Hope that clears it up. 

No worries, no offense taken.  I was just trying to get clarity.  Probably could have done without the dictionary definition, but that’s ok, haha.  The bolded is basically what I was looking for.

Im not sure that is what the writer meant.  If it is, I mostly disagree.  Zegras is great on the PP though.

Less than 24 hours to go......

Brayton Wilson mocks Caufield to Sabres with Cousins still on the board.  I guess I can’t see a scenario loving Caufield as the pick since I have 8 guys rated ahead of him.  Either Dach, Cousins or Zegras will be there as an option.  IMO it should be whichever of those three are left (no chance Hughes or Kakko are there and very unlikely Turcotte or Byram). Plus I would take Boldy ahead of him.  

I’m not as intuned this year as I normally am but here is my late to the party top 12:

Tier 1

1. Hughes

2. Kakko

Tier 2

3. Turcotte 

4. Byram 

Tier 3

5. Cousins 

6. Dach

7. Zegras

Ter 4

8. Boldy

9. Caufield 

10. Newhook 

11. Krebs

12. Podkolzin 

• Like (+1) 1

My dream; Turcotte, then Byrum

My realistic preference: Zegras, but really any of Krebs, Newhook, Boldy, Cozens Im happy.

And I won’t be upset with Caufield, Dach or Pod. 

I cant ever remember being this interested, comfortable and uncertain about a draft ever.

The link was posted up-thread with lots more good info, but for those who didn’t click, here’s Kris Bakerks in-depth take on two guys, one of which seems hip quite likely to be a Sabre tomorrow.

http://www.sabresprospects.com/2019/06/buffalo-sabres-2019-draft-preview.html?m=1

THE PICK: Trevor Zegras – C, United States National Under-18 Team (USHL), 6'0.25", 173 lbs.

Zegras, a left-handed centerman who projects equally well as a winger, looks like an amazing fit for the modern-day NHL given his impressive skating game and puck skills. It’s just a matter of if Zegras will be there when it's the Sabres turn to pick.

You’d have to think that this pick likely only happens if Steve Yzerman and Detroit, who picks one spot ahead of Buffalo, selects powerful Russian Vasily Podkolzin. Time will tell.

We’ll talk more about his footwork shortly, but Zegras lands in the top 10 thanks to his excellent handle on the puck (he truly keeps it on a string) and his supreme vision that allows him to distribute it through tight windows. He’s an uber-skilled, heads-up playmaker, unquestionably among the best in the entire draft class. He can zip a lengthy pass right on the tape to a winger in stride, or he can apply great touch be it with a soft saucer over sticks or threading a needle through skates around the net.

In 60 games this season, the Bedford, NY native piled up 87 points (26+61) , including 40 (14+26) in 27 games versus USHL competition.

On top of it all, he’s not allergic to playing without the puck in the defensive zone. He embraces his responsibilities by tracking his checks and supporting the play beneath the goal line. There are other centermen near the top of the draft that can get a little sleepy in the defensive zone. Zegras is not one of them. It wasn’t always that way. Perhaps the greatest area that Zegras developed while at the NTDP was the realization that there are no shortcuts.

The quality that really qualifies Zegras as a special player, though, is his skating game. The kid has amazing balance and superior acceleration that sees him quickly separate. It’s fun watching him shift through his gears and work his edges when holding the puck. His elite feet give him confidence and command when making plays, but it also helps with his defensive zone work by offering straight-line speed on the backcheck and gaining proper body positioning to stay on the right side of his man.

I can see the Sabres selecting Zegras and monitoring his development on a year-to-year basis. He could be a one-and-doner at Boston University, but there is no harm in giving him an extra year to add some mass and enjoy the best years of his life as a collegiate athlete. He’d be worth the wait.

If Zegras is gone, the easy pick to make is…

Dylan Cozens – C, Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL), 6'3.25", 183 lbs.

“Botterill doesn’t like the CHL!!” = myth.

If the Sabres don’t like Cozens, they simply don’t like 5v5 difference makers.

Big and strong with excellent speed and surprising agility, Cozens isn't going to take long to make a dent. I’m not at all suggesting the Sabres rush him into the mix, but he’s explosive enough (and man-child enough) to immediately compete against NHL competition. I just don’t see the point in doing so. Let him cook, lead a World Junior team, continue to dominate, build off his 34-goal, 84-point season, etc.

Cozens is a hard-driving kid who owns the center lane and thus commands attention whenever he’s on the ice. He’s a magnet for both pucks and defenders, and that bodes well for his teammates. As a shoot-first pivot, he launches heavy shots with a quick release that sees him score from range at his current level, but you can easily see his power game and hands quickly elevating pucks from in tight when he hits the NHL. 

Part of his quick path to NHL readiness is the fact that he’s an extremely reliable 200-foot player as well. The work ethic is in place as he consistently uses his quick feet, long stick, and big frame to do his job. He’s a very low-risk player with a legitimate top-six ceiling out of the box. I’m trying to identify deficiencies and I’m not seeing much to be worried about.

Adding a player like Cozens would add a versatile, unique element to the Sabres center ranks. Keep in mind, I would personally simplify his life and bring him along as a winger when he first enters the league, but regardless the jam he’d bring to the table would be a more than welcome addition

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

The link was posted up-thread with lots more good info, but for those who didn’t click, here’s Kris Bakerks in-depth take on two guys, one of which seems hip quite likely to be a Sabre tomorrow.

http://www.sabresprospects.com/2019/06/buffalo-sabres-2019-draft-preview.html?m=1

THE PICK: Trevor Zegras – C, United States National Under-18 Team (USHL), 6'0.25", 173 lbs.

Zegras, a left-handed centerman who projects equally well as a winger, looks like an amazing fit for the modern-day NHL given his impressive skating game and puck skills. It’s just a matter of if Zegras will be there when it's the Sabres turn to pick.

You’d have to think that this pick likely only happens if Steve Yzerman and Detroit, who picks one spot ahead of Buffalo, selects powerful Russian Vasily Podkolzin. Time will tell.

We’ll talk more about his footwork shortly, but Zegras lands in the top 10 thanks to his excellent handle on the puck (he truly keeps it on a string) and his supreme vision that allows him to distribute it through tight windows. He’s an uber-skilled, heads-up playmaker, unquestionably among the best in the entire draft class. He can zip a lengthy pass right on the tape to a winger in stride, or he can apply great touch be it with a soft saucer over sticks or threading a needle through skates around the net.

In 60 games this season, the Bedford, NY native piled up 87 points (26+61) , including 40 (14+26) in 27 games versus USHL competition.

On top of it all, he’s not allergic to playing without the puck in the defensive zone. He embraces his responsibilities by tracking his checks and supporting the play beneath the goal line. There are other centermen near the top of the draft that can get a little sleepy in the defensive zone. Zegras is not one of them. It wasn’t always that way. Perhaps the greatest area that Zegras developed while at the NTDP was the realization that there are no shortcuts.

The quality that really qualifies Zegras as a special player, though, is his skating game. The kid has amazing balance and superior acceleration that sees him quickly separate. It’s fun watching him shift through his gears and work his edges when holding the puck. His elite feet give him confidence and command when making plays, but it also helps with his defensive zone work by offering straight-line speed on the backcheck and gaining proper body positioning to stay on the right side of his man.

I can see the Sabres selecting Zegras and monitoring his development on a year-to-year basis. He could be a one-and-doner at Boston University, but there is no harm in giving him an extra year to add some mass and enjoy the best years of his life as a collegiate athlete. He’d be worth the wait.

If Zegras is gone, the easy pick to make is…

Dylan Cozens – C, Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL), 6'3.25", 183 lbs.

“Botterill doesn’t like the CHL!!” = myth.

If the Sabres don’t like Cozens, they simply don’t like 5v5 difference makers.

Big and strong with excellent speed and surprising agility, Cozens isn't going to take long to make a dent. I’m not at all suggesting the Sabres rush him into the mix, but he’s explosive enough (and man-child enough) to immediately compete against NHL competition. I just don’t see the point in doing so. Let him cook, lead a World Junior team, continue to dominate, build off his 34-goal, 84-point season, etc.

Cozens is a hard-driving kid who owns the center lane and thus commands attention whenever he’s on the ice. He’s a magnet for both pucks and defenders, and that bodes well for his teammates. As a shoot-first pivot, he launches heavy shots with a quick release that sees him score from range at his current level, but you can easily see his power game and hands quickly elevating pucks from in tight when he hits the NHL. 

Part of his quick path to NHL readiness is the fact that he’s an extremely reliable 200-foot player as well. The work ethic is in place as he consistently uses his quick feet, long stick, and big frame to do his job. He’s a very low-risk player with a legitimate top-six ceiling out of the box. I’m trying to identify deficiencies and I’m not seeing much to be worried about.

Adding a player like Cozens would add a versatile, unique element to the Sabres center ranks. Keep in mind, I would personally simplify his life and bring him along as a winger when he first enters the league, but regardless the jam he’d bring to the table would be a more than welcome addition

Good for Kris! he knows his stuff.

My top 5 for pick 7 - I’ll assuming Turcotte will be gone.

1) Cozens - I’d like to see a hard nosed center who drives 5 on 5 scoring

2) Zegras - Seems to be Mitts but better.

3) Dach - see Cozens

4) Boldy - bigger tougher version of Reinhart on the wing.

5) Caufield - we need scoring and he brings it.  If DeBrincat can succeed in the NHL, no reason to think this kid won’t as well.

My top 5 for 31 

1) Heinola - I don’t think he’ll be there, but he’d be a great addition to the blueline in 2 years

2) Tomasino - Niagara product who scored 30+

3) Bjornfot - Swedish D, what’s not to like?

4) McMichael - Goal scoring C/w from London

5) Poulin - Big scoring c/w from the Q

3 are from the CHL, but a late 1st would probably be signed within 2 years of his draft year anyway.

10 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Good for Kris! he knows his stuff.

He does.  All I've heard is Zegras probably gets taken by Detroit.

I'm all in for Dach, Zegras or Cousins.  One will be there because if there's not there's someone you are sprinting to the stage to take.

Edited by Derrico

I just spent the past 20 minutes listening to USNDP coach John Wroblewski talk hockey. Wow.

First of all, hire this guy, now. Listening to him break down the games of his players was amazing, like Flagg combined with Tony Robbins. The detail into what makes each player work and the way he articulates it made me want to pick every single one of them.

Secondly, the intelligent, high-level technical discourse is something you rarely hear from coaches hockey executives, and I wish they would open up more this way. After hearing that level of analysis, when I hear some guy on the internet like me say “NHL GMs are idiots” I’m sceptical. I wish we got to hear what coaches and GMs  are really thinking and why more often. I suspect most of them would debate us into the ground.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I just spent the past 20 minutes listening to USNDP coach John Wroblewski talk hockey. Wow.

First of all, hire this guy, now. Listening to him break down the games of his players was amazing, like Flagg combined with Tony Robbins. The detail into what makes each player work and the way he articulates it made me want to pick every single one of them.

Secondly, the intelligent, high-level technical discourse is something you rarely hear from coaches hockey executives, and I wish they would open up more this way. After hearing that level of analysis, when I hear some guy on the internet like me say “NHL GMs are idiots” I’m sceptical. I wish we got to hear what coaches and GMs  are really thinking and why more often. I suspect most of them would debate us into the ground.

With the recent Tony Robbins allegations, I'm not sure Flagg would want to be combined with him (although I don't know Flagg).

2 minutes ago, Tondas said:

With the recent Tony Robbins allegations, I'm not sure Flagg would want to be combined with him (although I don't know Flagg).

I don’t know about allegations. He was just the first motivational speaker that popped into mind.

Wroblewski could sell Jason Botterill to @Drunkard

• Haha (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Would the 10th Overall And 40th be enough to move 7th? 

Grab Newhook at 10, get a 2nd Round Pick back to move in deal or draft another player.? 

I'm good with this.  There's a decent shot a nice prospect is available at 40 as well!