2019 NHL Draft

LGR4GM

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

So, Pronman has made his mock based on what he’s hearing out there:

1. Buffalo: Trevor Zegras, C, USNTDP-USHL

I have heard Cozens and Zegras as the two names rumored to the Sabres, depending on how the top six goes. Teams have speculated the preference is in that order.

He has Byrum over Turcotte for 3, Turcotte over Zegras and Dach at 4, Dach over Cozens at 5, Cozens over Podkolzin for Detroit.

He thinks the top 7 might wiggle in their order, but Pod to Detroit is the only guy he has sneaking into the top 7 that he doesn’t have there.

Caufield is at 10 and Newhook at 17 even though he says there are teams that have Alex in their top 10.

Heinola and Lassi Thompson linked to us at 31

Zegras (playmaking American C) and either Heinola/Thomson (puck moving Euro D) seems exactly like what Botterill would do. 

Thomson seems like a bit of a reach according to most rankings. It would be a little humorous if Botterill's first CHL pick ever is a Finnish D who played his entire amateur career in Finland up to playing a single year in the CHL this year, followed by what looks to be heading back overseas for next season. 

Edited by Thorny

My final mock draft.  This will be only for picks 1-16.  I can't do the entire first round because it would just be random guesses for some picks and you never know. I figured however that I would take a shot at the top 16. 

1. Hughes - NJD
  2. Kakko - NYR
  3. Turcotte - CHI
  4. Dach - COL
  5. Byram - LAK
  6. Cozens - DET
  7. Zegras - BUF
  8. Broberg - EDM
  9. Boldy - ANA
  10. Krebs - VAN
  11. Soderstrom - PHI
  12. Podkolzin - MINN
  13. Harley - FLR
  14. Caufield - ARI
  15. York - MON
  16. Knight - COL
  • Like (+1) 2

Is everyone excited?!  I'm excited!

Assuming that Hughes, Kakko, Byram, and Turcotte all go in the top-6 (should be safe assumption), my wish for the Sabres is:

1) One of Dach, Zegras, Newhook.  I feel like those are the guys who have the best chance to become true star players.  As in 75+ points, #1C type of guys.

2) One of Cozens, Boldy, Krebs.  Really like these guys too and wouldn't be disappointed, but would be slightly less excited with the upside than the group above.

If they do not pick one of the listed players, that would make me a little disappointed.

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

My final mock draft.  This will be only for picks 1-16.  I can't do the entire first round because it would just be random guesses for some picks and you never know. I figured however that I would take a shot at the top 16. 

1. Hughes - NJD
  2. Kakko - NYR
  3. Turcotte - CHI
  4. Dach - COL
  5. Byram - LAK
  6. Cozens - DET
  7. Zegras - BUF
  8. Broberg - EDM
  9. Boldy - ANA
  10. Krebs - VAN
  11. Soderstrom - PHI
  12. Podkolzin - MINN
  13. Harley - FLR
  14. Caufield - ARI
  15. York - MON
  16. Knight - COL

Good stuff!  Can you just give a couple names you would hope for that could be available at 31 (assuming we still have the pick)?

Also Craig Button is truly a dinosaur when it comes to player evaluation and a major reason why his list every year is so bad. 

In the video here, https://www.tsn.ca/alex-newhook-centre-1.1301984, Craig spends a minute talking about Alex Newhook. During those 60 seconds he says the following: "The skating is good. If it was a little bit quicker and a little bit faster I think (Newhook) would be much higher up the draft boards. But considering he does have room to improve in that area and if he does take that skating up a notch, he could be a really good strong centerman. He might find his way to the wing as time goes on because receiving the puck if you are not a great skater allows you now to take advantage of your playmaking from the wing."

Alex Newhook is probably the 2nd best skater in this draft class behind Hughes. He is quick, agile, strong, and fast. Just watch the very fist play on this highlight video. Alex Newhook steps out of the penalty box when the defender who needs to cover him is rushing full speed back the other way, so Newhook is starting from a standstill. He gets up to speed so fast that the defender doesn't catch him and he has 2-3 strides on the guy and is all alone for a goal. Not a great skater my ass, what a completely garbage evaluation of Newhook and a complete joke of an analyst. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Good stuff!  Can you just give a couple names you would hope for that could be available at 31 (assuming we still have the pick)?

Nil Hoglander (unlikely to be there)

Maxim Cajkovic (will almost certainly be there)

Nicholas Robertson (doubtful but could be there)

Ville Heinola (could be gone, could not)

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Nil Hoglander (unlikely to be there)

Maxim Cajkovic (will almost certainly be there)

Nicholas Robertson (doubtful but could be there)

Ville Heinola (could be gone, could not)

Thanks.  I've done little research this year so if you're big on Newhook I'll be fine if he's the pick.

2 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Thanks.  I've done little research this year so if you're big on Newhook I'll be fine if he's the pick.

I won't guarantee that Newhook will succeed but there is just something about his game that really makes me open my eyes and say wow. His first year in college will tell us a lot. 

• Like (+1) 1

One of the reasons I like Newhook is that he does something simple yet very smart, his first touch with most pucks is into space. A lot of guys just worry about receiving the pass, I see this with Cozens sometimes. Newhook will actively make a small play when he receives a pass to put that 1st touch into space so he can do something with his second touch. 

There's a perfect example of what I mean here: https://youtu.be/vz9gGeoEdGg?t=302 he just accepts the pass and his first touch is away from the backside pressure into space and that allows him to turn. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Liger's right that this is nothing but guesswork, especially the later you go. But me and couple draft nerd buddies did some mock predictions for fun as well, so I figured I'd share the results (third pick and commentary is mine):

1. New Jersey Devils: Hughes, Hughes, Hughes
My take why: NHL’s most boring franchise adds some needed excitement; plus Jack’s dad and Jersey’s GM are buddies from way back
2. New York Rangers: Kakko, Kakko, Kakko
Does anyone not hate the Rangers for how good things always seem to fall into the laps? Kakko is a stud who will make an impact right away.
3. Chicago Blackhawks: Byram, Turcotte,  Byram
He’s the best defenceman in the draft and the right pick here. The Hawks don’t deserve him.
4. Colorado Avalanche: Dach, Zegras, Turcotte
Projects as an elite #2 centre who will torment opponents for years. Thanks Eugene Melnyk.
5. Los Angeles Kings: Cozens, Byram, Dach
He’s big and talented. He just feels like a King.
6. Detroit Red Wings: Zegras, Dach, Zegras
Sneaky skilled and Steve Yzerman knows the value of that; Zegras will be the guy who, a few years from now, people will say should have gone higher.
7. Buffalo Sabres: Caufield,  Caufield, Caufield
Can the best goal scorer in the history of the US development program overcome the fact he can can barely see over the crossbar? The offensively challenged Sabres will be willing to take the gamble
8. Edmonton Oilers: Turcotte, Boldy, Broberg
Oilers will take the second-most talented defenceman. Their fans will melt down and call it a huge reach. The internet will point and laugh. It’s just what happens in Edmonton.
9. Anaheim Ducks: Boldy, Seider, Cozens
Cozens is big, skilled and old-school. And if it walks like a Duck and talks like a Duck…
10. Vancouver Canucks: Podkolzin, Newhook,  Soderstrom,
Canucks will look at their holes on D and their 1-2 centre punch of Horvat and Pettersson and pass on Newhook and Krebs for a smart, puck-moving new-age Swedish defenceman. Silly Canucks.
11. Philadelphia Flyers: Broberg, Krebs, Podkolzin
Never mind the Russian factor, this kid is big, edgy and scores highlight-reel goals. The Philly fans will love him.
12. Minnesota Wild: Krebs, Broberg,  Newhook
Paul Fenton just seems to have made one stumble after another in his short stint as Wild GM, but he won’t stumble here.Need and value collide nicely as they pluck Vancouver Island’s top prospect
13. Florida Panthers: Knight, Podkolzin, Knight
Another no-brainer from a needs-meet-value perspective. Knight is so good he will destroy the conventional wisdom of not picking goalies in the first round. Don’t be shocked if he goes even higher than this.
14. Arizona Coyotes: Newhook, Cozens, Boldy
The talented, complete Boldy is a victim of circumstance, not ability, dropping to here. The holistic hipster philosophers that run the Coyotes will trip over their beards in their dash to the podium.
15. Montreal Canadiens: Harley, Harley, Seider
Habs do go D, but they will favour the impressive athlete who impressed against men over the other options who playedwith boys
16. Colorado Avalanche: Kaliyev, Soderstrom, York
This is the most likely pick to get traded in the entire draft. If the Avs stay at home, this smooth blueliner nicely bookends his USNDP teammate Turcotte at 4
17. Vegas Golden Knights: Soderstrom, Dorofeyev, Krebs
18. Dallas Stars: York, Kaliyev, Lavoie
19. Ottawa Senators: Tomasino, Tomasino, Tomasino
20. Winnipeg Jets: Seider, York, Harley
21. Pittsburgh Penguins: Lavoie, Knight, Heinola
22. Los Angeles Kings: Brink, McMichael, Robertson
23. New York Islanders: Suzuki, Robertson, Kaliyev
24. Nashville Predators: Afanasyev, Suzuki, Johnson
25. Washington Capitals: Poulin, Brink, Poulin
26. Calgary Flames: Leason, Heinola, Leason
27. Tampa Bay Lightning: Vlasic, Hoglander, Suzuki
28. Carolina Hurricanes: Robertson, Kolyachonok, Brink
29. Anaheim Ducks: Thomson, Lavoie, Bjornfot
30. Boston Bruins: Pelletier, Poulin, Pelletier
31. Buffalo Sabres: Heinola, Tracey, Thomson

@rakish in order to try and help out the basement stakes I went back and looked at my list and added players up to 60. Hopefully this will help. Also, I made a subtle tweak to my top ten. Probably some recency bias but whatever, go big right?

Final Liger rankings for the 2019 NHL Draft. 

LGR_2019DraftFinalA.thumb.PNG.cdca573598c9a97cc49c5caaca9fdd79.PNG

LGR_2019DraftFinalB.thumb.PNG.141f739547d670faa279127d80cdd31f.PNG

56 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Liger has me convinced on that Newhook guy. Newhouse. I forget his name. 

Newhook. it's Newhook, got it. 

I also like Krebs a LOT. And Turcotte. 

But I don't really know anything so whoever they pick is fine

As long as it's not Cozens 

What don’t you like about Cozens?  I think he would be a pretty good fit.

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

@rakish in order to try and help out the basement stakes I went back and looked at my list and added players up to 60. Hopefully this will help. Also, I made a subtle tweak to my top ten. Probably some recency bias but whatever, go big right?

Got it. I'm thinking about swapping Maxim Cajk... and Beaucage on mine. If so, we might end up with the same first 3 picks

Just read the Baker article.  As usual I thought it was well thought out and had some great info.

He put we squarely on the Zegras bandwagon, but like him I still love Boldy and Cozens.

What I found interesting is guys he wants us to look at in the 3 and 4th rounds are Holmstrom, Fagemo and Honka.  It would be a steal if any of these 3 fell to us in those rounds.  I was looking at my board based on the 16 consensus lists and I currently have Holmstrom around 40 and Fagemo in the mid 50s, both having received recent 1st rd grades from different writers. 

Honka, while not longer in my top 60, was in the top 40 for much of the season and had prior to the spring received many 1sr rd grades.  I’d be thrilled to get any of these that late in the draft.

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

Liger's right that this is nothing but guesswork, especially the later you go. But me and couple draft nerd buddies did some mock predictions for fun as well, so I figured I'd share the results (third pick and commentary is mine):

1. New Jersey Devils: Hughes, Hughes, Hughes
My take why: NHL’s most boring franchise adds some needed excitement; plus Jack’s dad and Jersey’s GM are buddies from way back
2. New York Rangers: Kakko, Kakko, Kakko
Does anyone not hate the Rangers for how good things always seem to fall into the laps? Kakko is a stud who will make an impact right away.
3. Chicago Blackhawks: Byram, Turcotte,  Byram
He’s the best defenceman in the draft and the right pick here. The Hawks don’t deserve him.
4. Colorado Avalanche: Dach, Zegras, Turcotte
Projects as an elite #2 centre who will torment opponents for years. Thanks Eugene Melnyk.
5. Los Angeles Kings: Cozens, Byram, Dach
He’s big and talented. He just feels like a King.
6. Detroit Red Wings: Zegras, Dach, Zegras
Sneaky skilled and Steve Yzerman knows the value of that; Zegras will be the guy who, a few years from now, people will say should have gone higher.
7. Buffalo Sabres: Caufield,  Caufield, Caufield
Can the best goal scorer in the history of the US development program overcome the fact he can can barely see over the crossbar? The offensively challenged Sabres will be willing to take the gamble
8. Edmonton Oilers: Turcotte, Boldy, Broberg
Oilers will take the second-most talented defenceman. Their fans will melt down and call it a huge reach. The internet will point and laugh. It’s just what happens in Edmonton.
9. Anaheim Ducks: Boldy, Seider, Cozens
Cozens is big, skilled and old-school. And if it walks like a Duck and talks like a Duck…
10. Vancouver Canucks: Podkolzin, Newhook,  Soderstrom,
Canucks will look at their holes on D and their 1-2 centre punch of Horvat and Pettersson and pass on Newhook and Krebs for a smart, puck-moving new-age Swedish defenceman. Silly Canucks.
11. Philadelphia Flyers: Broberg, Krebs, Podkolzin
Never mind the Russian factor, this kid is big, edgy and scores highlight-reel goals. The Philly fans will love him.
12. Minnesota Wild: Krebs, Broberg,  Newhook
Paul Fenton just seems to have made one stumble after another in his short stint as Wild GM, but he won’t stumble here.Need and value collide nicely as they pluck Vancouver Island’s top prospect
13. Florida Panthers: Knight, Podkolzin, Knight
Another no-brainer from a needs-meet-value perspective. Knight is so good he will destroy the conventional wisdom of not picking goalies in the first round. Don’t be shocked if he goes even higher than this.
14. Arizona Coyotes: Newhook, Cozens, Boldy
The talented, complete Boldy is a victim of circumstance, not ability, dropping to here. The holistic hipster philosophers that run the Coyotes will trip over their beards in their dash to the podium.
15. Montreal Canadiens: Harley, Harley, Seider
Habs do go D, but they will favour the impressive athlete who impressed against men over the other options who playedwith boys
16. Colorado Avalanche: Kaliyev, Soderstrom, York
This is the most likely pick to get traded in the entire draft. If the Avs stay at home, this smooth blueliner nicely bookends his USNDP teammate Turcotte at 4
17. Vegas Golden Knights: Soderstrom, Dorofeyev, Krebs
18. Dallas Stars: York, Kaliyev, Lavoie
19. Ottawa Senators: Tomasino, Tomasino, Tomasino
20. Winnipeg Jets: Seider, York, Harley
21. Pittsburgh Penguins: Lavoie, Knight, Heinola
22. Los Angeles Kings: Brink, McMichael, Robertson
23. New York Islanders: Suzuki, Robertson, Kaliyev
24. Nashville Predators: Afanasyev, Suzuki, Johnson
25. Washington Capitals: Poulin, Brink, Poulin
26. Calgary Flames: Leason, Heinola, Leason
27. Tampa Bay Lightning: Vlasic, Hoglander, Suzuki
28. Carolina Hurricanes: Robertson, Kolyachonok, Brink
29. Anaheim Ducks: Thomson, Lavoie, Bjornfot
30. Boston Bruins: Pelletier, Poulin, Pelletier
31. Buffalo Sabres: Heinola, Tracey, Thomson

I was about to congratulate Sabrespace for not falling into the Caufield trap as Sabres twitter definitely has.  Disappointed to see this mock draft and 3 picks of Caufield    Don’t want to say it’s a bad pick but I’d much prefer a center and a guy that can skate  and drive a line   Caufield can’t do anything without help from someone else 

• Like (+1) 4

I think they want Turcotte first and Zegras second but neither falls.

I hope their love for Cole is a smokescreen, but it is out there. Did you see Duff’s bedroom eyes? I wouldn't hate the pick, but I can think of four or five other names that might be available that I’d rather have, for exactly the reasons you describe.

And I admit that Botterill grabbing Cozens and stunning @Thorny would almost be worth letting a more interesting prospect slide.?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1