2019 NHL Draft

LGR4GM

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So McKenzie had Spencer Knight slotted at 12 which was surprising to me.

And I just heard Pierre Maguire say he knows a team that has Knight ranked in their top 5 and another team picking in the top 10 that might take him. Also said that he thinks he is the best American goalie prospect ever, and that he could be in the NHL in two years.

Over-the-top Pierring, or are the masses sleeping on this kid because “nobody takes a goalie in the first round.”

yes, I would definitely take him in round 1. Wanted him when the Sabres looked to have a pick around 15 - 17, now he will be long gone by 31.   Sabres definitely need to add another Goaltender to the prospect pool

1 minute ago, North Buffalo said:

thought i saw 6'1 but ok

6'0 and 1/4 inch to be exact.

18 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Zegras is 6'1" not small and still possibly growing.  His younger brother a HS sophomore soon to be junior is taller than him and would not be surprised if he ends up at 6'2", 6'3" range. 

7 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

he just got measured at 6'0 at the combine. That being said, he is still #1 on my board for guys that could be there at 7.

Yes, 6’0.25” I believe, and thin, 173lbs.  He will gain weight and be an about average size NHL player.  Maybe he grows a bit and ends up 6’1”, but the number of young men who grow over an inch after age 18 is quite small.  I would say the majority of people don’t grow at all after that age, though I’m just guessing.

Edited by Curtisp5286

Defenseman Jayden Struble took full advantage of the opportunity. According to NHL Public Relations, the 17-year-old finished first in five of the 18 physical fitness tests:

Ranked 70 by Pronman

"Skating 60
Puck Skills 55
Physical Game 55
Hockey Sense 50

He's a very good skater  who projects as a puck-rushing Dman. Loves to play the body, he's often a force with his body checks. Reputation as a hot temper, and while he plays physical, he can go over the line at times."

29 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So McKenzie had Spencer Knight slotted at 12 which was surprising to me.

And I just heard Pierre Maguire say he knows a team that has Knight ranked in their top 5 and another team picking in the top 10 that might take him. Also said that he thinks he is the best American goalie prospect ever, and that he could be in the NHL in two years.

Over-the-top Pierring, or are the masses sleeping on this kid because “nobody takes a goalie in the first round.”

Increases the slim chance that Turcotte could be there at 7.

2 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Defenseman Jayden Struble took full advantage of the opportunity. According to NHL Public Relations, the 17-year-old finished first in five of the 18 physical fitness tests:

Ranked 70 by Pronman

"Skating 60
Puck Skills 55
Physical Game 55
Hockey Sense 50

He's a very good skater  who projects as a puck-rushing Dman. Loves to play the body, he's often a force with his body checks. Reputation as a hot temper, and while he plays physical, he can go over the line at times."

This? This I like.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Curtisp5286 said:

Yes, 6’0.25” I believe, and thin, 173lbs.  He will gain weight and be an about average size NHL player.  Maybe he grows a bit and ends up 6’1”, but the number of young men who grow over an inch after age 18 is quite small.  I would say the majority of people don’t grow at all after that age, though I’m just guessing.

PS I grew 4.5 inches after age 18 and men can and often grow till age 21

Edited by North Buffalo

59 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

PS I grew 4.5 inches after age 18 and men can and often grow till age 21

Damn!  Well, I didn’t grow a bit after my 17th birthday.  I was and still am about 5’11.5”.  Maybe we both are projecting our personal experiences onto Zegras.

Just curious, how tall did you end up?

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I like Newhook a lot, but I’ve not heard a whiff of him in the top 10, let alone a target of the Sabres.

Alex Newhook has the potential to be 1 of the top 3 players from this draft when all is said and done. He's that good. His skating is sublime and he works out there. His shot is underrated and his instincts aren't teachable. Sabre or not, I'm very curious to watch Alex Newhook develop at college next year.

37 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Alex Newhook has the potential to be 1 of the top 3 players from this draft when all is said and done. He's that good. His skating is sublime and he works out there. His shot is underrated and his instincts aren't teachable. Sabre or not, I'm very curious to watch Alex Newhook develop at college next year.

tumblr_orvlkt9lKC1v5mbzeo2_400.gif

Edited by Thorny
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It would be a gutsy pick at 7, but you never know. Like JBot, he is Canadian going the NCAA route.

I think Cozens or Zegras is the safer pick, but I think Newhook's upside could be higher than those guys and Boldy, Dach and Podkolzin.

I hope someone takes Caufield before 7 so I don't have to be p****ed off if the Sabres take him and he busts or if they pass and he becomes Debrincat/Gionta.

If Turcotte, Zegras and Dach are gone in the Top Six, there is a pathway to the Sabres Drafting Newhook.

Bob McKenzie on the lastest BobCast mentioned that his feeling the Sabres favor taking a Center and that they will look at  Cozens and Krebs if none of the others are available. 

When Ryan Jankowski was Interviewed about Cozens, he used the term good three times to describe him and very good when talking about his skating, it sounds like they are not high on him. 

He was very enthusiastic when talking about Caufield, but if Bob’s Feeling is correct they may pass on Cozens and Krebs and choose Newhook. 

7 hours ago, Curtisp5286 said:

Damn!  Well, I didn’t grow a bit after my 17th birthday.  I was and still am about 5’11.5”.  Maybe we both are projecting our personal experiences onto Zegras.

Just curious, how tall did you end up?

6'2".5

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I grew 4.5 inches once too..... But then it got cold ❄️?

Hence the uname, I presume?  ?  Know what I mean?  Nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat?

From Corey Pronman’s Latest Mock 

1. Detroit: Dylan Cozens, C, Lethbridge-WHL

Detroit has been linked to Dach, Cozens and Vasili Podkolzin. I heard Zegras during the months of April and May, but less so lately. I don’t think Dach gets past the Wings. 

1. Buffalo: Trevor Zegras, C, USNTDP-USHL

I have heard Cozens and Zegras as the two names rumored to the Sabres, depending on how the top six goes. Teams have speculated the preference is in that order.

1. Vegas: Alex Newhook, C, Victoria-BCHL

I’ve heard from more teams that have Newhook top 10 than outside the top 15, so him getting to No. 17 is not a guarantee. I could see Suzuki as Vegas’ pick if Newhook is gone by this point.  

Interesting this is the first time I have seen Cozens this high for the Sabres. Newhook is mentioned in the Top Ten. 

Edited by Brawndo

49 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

From Corey Pronman’s Latest Mock 

1. Detroit: Dylan Cozens, C, Lethbridge-WHL

Detroit has been linked to Dach, Cozens and Vasili Podkolzin. I heard Zegras during the months of April and May, but less so lately. I don’t think Dach gets past the Wings. 

1. Buffalo: Trevor Zegras, C, USNTDP-USHL

I have heard Cozens and Zegras as the two names rumored to the Sabres, depending on how the top six goes. Teams have speculated the preference is in that order.

1. Vegas: Alex Newhook, C, Victoria-BCHL

I’ve heard from more teams that have Newhook top 10 than outside the top 15, so him getting to No. 17 is not a guarantee. I could see Suzuki as Vegas’ pick if Newhook is gone by this point.  

Interesting this is the first time I have seen Cozens this high for the Sabres. Newhook is mentioned in the Top Ten. 

Please be right. 

In his q&a on the athletic yesterday, Pronman said that he is hearing Caufield is dropping a bit. No longer a top 10. Teams are worried that if he doesn’t become an elite goal scorer in the NHL he will have no value at all as he can’t play down the line up.  

82BAC2C1-934F-4FB1-972D-85A24AFF1946.png

Edited by Crusader1969