2019 NHL Draft

LGR4GM

On 5/13/2019 at 12:16 AM, steveoath said:

Mynhldraft has an "interesting" take....

Without any investigation or research whatsoever (hey... we're online, I'm just following standard Imperial Procedure) my hot take reaction to this mock is that it appears to be someone wanting to see the Canadian teams get who they want, but also keep it semi-realistic (no... Kakko is not dropping to Edmonton... that's too ridiculous). The Sabres like small guys like Ennis and small European defensemen... done! That'll free up Boldy to Edmonton and Zegras to Vancouver... etc.   Of course, mocks are all in good fun.

• Like (+1) 1

FanSpeak's OnTheClock for the NHL is live:

https://fanspeak.com/nhlotc/?utm_source=OTC&utm_campaign=OtherTools

EDIT: Here's mine for dissection:

7: R1P7

C ALEX TURCOTTE
U.S. U-18
30: R1P30

C PEYTON KREBS
KOOTENAY
67: R3P5

RW GRANT SILIANOFF
CEDAR RAPIDS
98: R4P5
D WILLIAM CONSTANTINOU
KINGSTON
160: R6P5

G ROMAN BASRAN
KELOWNA
175: R6P20

D RYAN SIEDEM
CENTRAL ILLINOIS
177: R6P22
LW ALEXEI TSYPLAKOV
SKA
191: R7P5
C GARRETT PINONIEMI
HOLY FAMILY CATHOLIC
Edited by Ho-Chi-Sock
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Ho-Chi-Sock said:

FanSpeak's OnTheClock for the NHL is live:

https://fanspeak.com/nhlotc/?utm_source=OTC&utm_campaign=OtherTools

EDIT: Here's mine for dissection:

C ALEX TURCOTTE
<snip>

Consider putting together a draft board for year 6 of my draft contest, Mom's Basement Stakes. You can see previous years at my website 45b.us, which I will update for last season soon.

This is one of those times where this board will miss Jame.  Whatever his flaws (and I have a list), he was stupendous at evaluating the prospects before a draft.  I learn a lot from his posts on other boards.

Pronman has out his top 107 players: 

7) Dylan Cozens, C, Lethbridge-WHL

Feb. 9, 2001 | 6-foot-3 | 185 pounds

Skating: 60
Puck Skills: 55
Physical Game: 65
Hockey Sense: 60

Cozens is a very well-rounded prospect. For the past two seasons in the WHL and in international play, he consistently impressed. Cozens measures in at 6-foot-3 and is a very good skater, not just for his size, but overall. That combination alone makes him a handful to deal with when a guy that size comes barreling through the neutral zone. He doesn’t just skate fast, he consistently pushes the pace and plays the game hard. Cozens is not going to do a fancy between the legs kind of play, but he gets by defenders with dekes at full speed, makes skilled plays to the net and can make plays in small areas. He’s not a dynamic playmaker, but he’ll have the odd play that will hit that level and his vision can surprise defenders. He has a shoot-first mentality and, for Lethbridge, would often be the team’s shot off the flank on the man advantage. Cozens can be deployed in any situation and competes hard every shift with a bit of an edge to his game without taking a ton of penalties.

Lethbridge Hurricanes coach Brent Kisio on Cozens: “He’s a difference maker. He’s very fast and utilizes his speed very well. His playmaking abilities are exceptional. He’s a reliable two-way player.”

https://theathletic.com/970746/2019/05/21/pronmans-2019-nhl-draft-board-top-107-prospects/

• Like (+1) 1

Ignore Pronman's physical grade when reading these. It doesn't mean "physical game" it means "is big". Hoglander IMPO is more physical than Dach but 1 gets a 60 and the other a 35. 

He gives Nicholas Roberstson a 25 for what he calls "physical game" but Roberston once had the puck stolen from him as he was knocked over. Roberstson bounced up, tracked that guy down, stole the puck back, and then scored a goal. I'm serious, he may not be big but he plays physical. My point is that "physical game" in these rankings is a bit of misnomer 

Edited by LGR4GM

31 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Ignore Pronman's physical grade when reading these. It doesn't mean "physical game" it means "is big". Hoglander IMPO is more physical than Dach but 1 gets a 60 and the other a 35. 

He gives Nicholas Roberstson a 25 for what he calls "physical game" but Roberston once had the puck stolen from him as he was knocked over. Roberstson bounced up, tracked that guy down, stole the puck back, and then scored a goal. I'm serious, he may not be big but he plays physical. My point is that "physical game" in these rankings is a bit of misnomer 

Yeah, there are different definitions out there.  For example, Dach uses his size/length well to protect the puck and create time/space for himself.  That could be the type of stuff that Pronman is rolling into that Physicality grade.

Also, I love that he is using the baseball 20-80 grading system.  Much more informative than reading that 20 different prospects are “good” skaters, 10 skate “well for their size”, and 5 are “elite” skaters.

This is stuff that you should always watch for in reading scouting reports. This garbage: Michal Teply, 6'3" LW

His game lacks speed and pace, he doesn’t attack the net or compete for pucks that hard, and he doesn’t always seem that engaged. You’re drafting him knowing he needs work, but the skill/size combination is NHL quality

That means you don't draft him. Who cares if he has good nhl size if he has bad speed, pace, compete, and engagement. You can be 6'5" and have skills but if you can't skate and lack compete, who cares? 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I did it twice just for fun... this time I went to round 4. 

C ALEX TURCOTTE, U.S. U-18

30: R1P30

C ALEX NEWHOOK, VICTORIA

67: R3P5

D TOBIAS BJORNFOT, DJIRGARDENS

98: R4P5

LW ETHAN KEPPEN, FLINT

not sure where they get their draft board but it definitely needs to be updated

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

not sure where they get their draft board but it definitely needs to be updated

It's a little rough but here is their listing... they have Braydon Tracey in the top 25 which is highly unlikely. 

DraftMocks.thumb.PNG.0cfabb81ed1000520962478222f99c29.PNG

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

It's a little rough but here is their listing... they have Braydon Tracey in the top 25 which is highly unlikely. 

DraftMocks.thumb.PNG.0cfabb81ed1000520962478222f99c29.PNG

How possibly is Kaliyev 4th and Harley 5th?   move Newhook up at lest 8 spots and its not that bad, oh and Krebs needs to be in top 13 as well.

23 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

How possibly is Kaliyev 4th and Harley 5th?   move Newhook up at lest 8 spots and its not that bad, oh and Krebs needs to be in top 13 as well.

I honestly can't say. Kaliyev at 4 would be amazing because it means someone ***** up above us. 

1. Trevor Zegras, C, USNTDP-USHL

May 20, 2001 | six-foot | 168 pounds

Skating: 50
Puck Skills: 60
Physical Game: 45
Hockey Sense: 75

Zegras was fantastic all season for the USNTDP and was a go-to guy for the program when they needed a goal. In terms of pure offensive skill, he’s the best in the draft class. He’s a special playmaker and one of the best passers I’ve seen as a first-year draft-eligible in recent years. It’s not just that he sees the options, it’s also the fact his timing is elite in terms of when to execute plays, and he has the high-end skill to feather pucks into the right spots. His imagination gets the highest praise from me. He’s made some very creative one-touch plays where he’s knocking pucks that were behind him onto the sticks of teammates or firing a bullet pass while spinning with the puck on his backhand. He’s known as a playmaker but has a sneaky good shot and can pick a corner if you give him time. Zegras has fine speed, very good edge work and hands to evade checks. He can push the pace when he wants to, but for a small, slight forward, he slows it down a bit too much for me. He’s not the biggest or bulkiest pivot and has at times played wing this season, but he’s gotten steadily better in the physical parts of the game and will push back when opponents get physical with him. Zegras isn’t a guy who you pick to run over guys, though; you’re drafting him to slot onto the half-wall of your first power play and get the puck to the scorers on his wing for a decade.

USNTDP center Jack Hughes on Zegras: “He’s the most creative player on our team. He thinks outside the box, he’s really smart and super crafty with his hands and movements. He’s really slippery. He’s an easy guy to play with knowing he’ll always give you great passes.”

1. Matthew Boldy, LW, USNTDP-USHL

April 5, 2001 | 6-foot-2 | 187 pounds

Skating: 50
Puck Skills: 65
Physical Game: 55
Hockey Sense: 65

Boldy didn’t join the USNTDP as a top prospect, in fact, he was on the bubble to make the team. A sudden growth spurt combined with a great skill level spiked his prospect stock. Boldy is a unique winger in how he plays the game. His combination of puck skills and hockey IQ are among the best in the draft. His hand-eye coordination is off the charts. Pucks stick to him. He’s also incredibly creative and made some of the best passes I saw all season. I wouldn’t call him a natural playmaker, though; he prefers to play below the dots and around the net rather than QB a power play. While he’s a great passer, Boldy has a quality shot and was often used as a trigger guy from the slot. Boldy’s consistency was an issue this season. When competing hard, he’s often catching unsuspecting players on the backcheck and gets to the net to score. However, he had stretches this season where he didn’t impact games, and sometimes they were long stretches. His main weakness over the years was his skating. I think it’s improved to an average level, but he’s not a powerful skater and his stride could be cleaned up.

USNTDP U18 coach John Wroblewski on Boldy: “Boldy grew from 5-foot-10 to 6-foot-2. His development trajectory has been steep. He can be a power forward. He has excellent hands and vision. He can finish, he can run a power play, he can be a net-front guy. The puck is attached to him.”

1. Alex Newhook, C, Victoria-BCHL

Jan. 28, 2001 | 5-foot-11 | 190 pounds

Skating: 65
Puck Skills: 60
Physical Game: 40
Hockey Sense: 65

Newhook was fantastic in the BCHL for the past two seasons, as one of the most dominant Jr. A players of the modern era. He’s one of the most entertaining and dynamic players in the draft. His skating, hands and vision all get plus grades. He can push the pace with his speed. He’s got quick-twitch feet at full speed, which allows him to jet by defenders, and great edge work to create space in tight areas. He’s often asked to carry the puck up the ice, and he does so very well. Newhook makes plays at full speed, often blowing by defenders, while also being able to pull up and make a play at pace. I’ve seen him make some very creative passes where he hits a tight lane with little time or hitting a man on the tape while he’s going 100 miles an hour. He’s also very skilled, and often makes tough plays to lose a defender and create space. Newhook isn’t just a skill guy, he competes well too, which combined with his great speed allows him to always be around the puck. I don’t know if he’ll be a true defensive center in the NHL due to his size and I wouldn’t call him overly physical, but I like that he battles. The one knock on Newhook is, at the levels with higher pace than the BCHL such as the World Jr. A or Hlinka U18 camp where he was cut, he wasn’t dominant; but he was great at the IIHF U18 tournament.

Victoria Grizzlies GM/coach Craig Didmon on Newhook: “He has great endurance, he doesn’t tire and wears his opponents down. He can attack in a variety of ways. He has great speed, a great shot on the fly and sees the ice very well. He can play 200 feet.”

These are some other prospects who are around 7th Overall. 

I’m surprised that Zegras is that high TBH