2019 NHL Draft

LGR4GM

36 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Kappo might make The Devils Decision harder on June 21st

I would take I’m #1 if I had the chance. He’s not as flashy but I think he will put up similar numbers and play a better overall game. 

31 Thoughts:

“From what I’m hearing, there is some consensus developing around the top four or five. Jack Hughes and Kaapo Kakko are one-two, with Kaako widening eyes in the early days of the world championships. (Thumbs up to New Jersey’s social media team for lusting after both players on its Twitter feed. Very good.) The Rangers at number two can relax and be happy with whatever they get.

A few teams I spoke with believe WHL Vancouver defenceman Bowen Byram and U.S. National Team Development Program centre Alex Turcotte are separating themselves at three and four, although Sam thinks one of Turcotte’s teammates — centre Trevor Zegras — is in that group. Sixth on his list is WHL Lethbridge centre Dylan Cozens.

That brings us to No. 7. 

You’ll hear it millions of times between now and June 21. It is the phrase, “The draft really begins at…” This year, that sentence will often end with “…at three, with Chicago.” What the Blackhawks do after Hughes/Kakko affects everyone else. But, there is another variable, and that is who takes Russian winger Vasily Podkolzin. 

I’ve seen more of Thanos the past two years than Podkolzin, but certainly know his reputation. He’s a talented, talented player — as skilled as anyone available in June. But he’s locked into an overseas contract for at least another two years, which limits the number of NHL teams willing to consider it at this time.

“If you need help next season or the year after, you can’t take him,” one exec said this week. “But if you can afford to wait…it could be like a delayed powerball victory.”

Edited by Crusader1969
  • Thanks (+1) 1

There's 2-3 players I would draft over Caufield at 7 in that mock. Caufield has a great shot but there are some questions about his effectiveness in the defensive zone. I also have questions about his ability to separate at the NHL level. He is getting the space he needs in part because of Hughes, what will that look like away from Hughes? Will he get as much space and how will his size impact that. He doesn't have elite skating. If we were drafting at 9, I could be talked into Caufield, at 7 though... that's a harder sell for me. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

There's 2-3 players I would draft over Caufield at 7 in that mock. Caufield has a great shot but there are some questions about his effectiveness in the defensive zone. I also have questions about his ability to separate at the NHL level. He is getting the space he needs in part because of Hughes, what will that look like away from Hughes? Will he get as much space and how will his size impact that. He doesn't have elite skating. If we were drafting at 9, I could be talked into Caufield, at 7 though... that's a harder sell for me. 

This is where I am too. We can't put everyone with Eichel!!!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, steveoath said:

This is where I am too. We can't put everyone with Eichel!!!

If turcotte is still there and I don't think he will be when we pick then it's him no question then boldy, zegras, dach, caulfield in that order for me

Top 10 Mock 2.0: Post U18 edition

1) NJD: Hughes, Jack - C

I can't convince myself they will take Kaako. I think they want another center and Hughes will fit the bill nicely.

2) NYR: Kaako, Kappo - RW

Easiest pick in the draft. This gives the rangers a solid winger who will be a top 3 guy and can score. 

3) Chicago: Byram, Bowen - LHD

Byram has been electric in his playoff series and Chicago needs defenders desperately. They will see Heiskanen's impact on Dallas and reflect on their own good fortune with defenders and take Byram. 

4) Colorado: Cozens, Dylan - C

There 1 line concept got exposed in the playoffs. Easiest way to fix it is add a big power center to the lineup. This give them size, speed, and skill that is probably only 1 year away. Fit and function meeting. Cozens with Raatannen (SP?) would give teams match-up nightmares. 

5) LA Kings: Dach, Kirby - C

They need a defender but one simply isn't there and they also need to think about their forward depth. I think they go Dach because they will like his size more than anything and he might be a winger at the next level so he has versatility for them. He is also probably 1 year away. 

6) Detroit: Turcotte, Alex - C

No, I wasn't going to do wish fulfillment and put Turcotte to Buffalo. He won't be there and honestly I almost gave him to the Kings but I think they will still favor the size of Dach. Detroit needs just about everything. While they need a defender, I can't see them reaching for one with Yzerman at the helm. They will take the best player available and go from there.

7) Buffalo: Boldy, Matthew - LW

I almost gave them Newhook. I was very close to it. I think Newhook's showing at the U18 really opened eyes but then I remembered that Boldy was just as good. He needs a year and I would prefer he get 2 but Boldy has all the makings of an NHL player. He's agile, he is quick, he is powerful, his shot is really good. He can do whatever you need and do it well. He might not make the all star team but you are going to look back at his career and be like, huh... that guy did a ton. 

8.) Edmonton: Podkolzin, Vasily - LW

Oh Edmonton... will this pick work out for them? Idk but he has all the skills to make it work. My biggest issue with Pod is I don't think he is an overall smart player in the sense of the bigger game. He has great individual skills but unlike Boldy, seems to struggle sometimes fitting those in with his team. 

9) Anaheim: Krebs, Peyton - C

I went a couple different ways with this but here we are. Krebs fits what I think Anaheim is looking for. Krebs is an aggressive center with more skills than could shine through last year playing for a garbage team. He is probably another 1-2 years away but he would fit in with what it appear Anaheim is trying to build. 

10) Vancouver: Zegras, Trevor - C

I think they take either Krebs or Zegras and in this case it is Zegras. Also I skipped them the first time so whooooooops. 

11) Philly: Soderstrom, Victor - RHD

Philly has some issues but the most glaring is that their defense needs something in the pipeline. Soderstrom is good. Without the bevy of forwards he could go higher but there is just a ton of talent. He's a smooth skater with good puck skills who competes. He doesn't make a lot of mistakes and in some ways reminds me of a poor man's Dahlin. 

Edited by LGR4GM
Forgot vancouver
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I can't convince myself they will take Kaako. I think they want another center and Hughes will fit the bill nicely.

Easiest pick in the draft. This gives the rangers a solid winger who will be a top 3 guy and can score. 

Byram has been electric in his playoff series and Chicago needs defenders desperately. They will see Heiskanen's impact on Dallas and reflect on their own good fortune with defenders and take Byram. 

There 1 line concept got exposed in the playoffs. Easiest way to fix it is add a big power center to the lineup. This give them size, speed, and skill that is probably only 1 year away. Fit and function meeting. Cozens with Raatannen (SP?) would give teams match-up nightmares. 

They need a defender but one simply isn't there and they also need to think about their forward depth. I think they go Dach because they will like his size more than anything and he might be a winger at the next level so he has versatility for them. He is also probably 1 year away. 

No, I wasn't going to do wish fulfillment and put Turcotte to Buffalo. He won't be there and honestly I almost gave him to the Kings but I think they will still favor the size of Dach. Detroit needs just about everything. While they need a defender, I can't see them reaching for one with Yzerman at the helm. They will take the best player available and go from there.

I almost gave them Newhook. I was very close to it. I think Newhook's showing at the U18 really opened eyes but then I remembered that Boldy was just as good. He needs a year and I would prefer he get 2 but Boldy has all the makings of an NHL player. He's agile, he is quick, he is powerful, his shot is really good. He can do whatever you need and do it well. He might not make the all star team but you are going to look back at his career and be like, huh... that guy did a ton. 

Oh Edmonton... will this pick work out for them? Idk but he has all the skills to make it work. My biggest issue with Pod is I don't think he is an overall smart player in the sense of the bigger game. He has great individual skills but unlike Boldy, seems to struggle sometimes fitting those in with his team. 

I went a couple different ways with this but here we are. Krebs fits what I think Anaheim is looking for. Krebs is an aggressive center with more skills than could shine through last year playing for a garbage team. He is probably another 1-2 years away but he would fit in with what it appear Anaheim is trying to build. 

10) Philly: Soderstrom, Victor - RHD

Philly has some issues but the most glaring is that their defense needs something in the pipeline. Soderstrom is good. Without the bevy of forwards he could go higher but there is just a ton of talent. He's a smooth skater with good puck skills who competes. He doesn't make a lot of mistakes and in some ways reminds me of a poor man's Dahlin. 

No mention of Zegras in the top 10?

12 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

No mention of Zegras in the top 10?

No. He did almost make it though. It's part of the problem with that draft. There's basically 1-2, 3-5, 6-14. 

Zegras, Newhook, Caufield, and I think York rounds out that 3rd tier. 

Edited by LGR4GM

I want to note that is not my top 10. That is a mock based on team needs and possible tendencies. I picked Krebs over Zegras because Krebs is more aggressive and I think that appeals to Anaheim. Also you never know where Edmonton will go. They could take Zegras, or Lavoie, or Newhook, or Krebs, or really anyone. 

I'm not interested in 5'8" scoring tease guys in any program.  Does the wording "concussion risk" sound like fun.  We don't need another Tyler Ennis.  Please, oh please may it be Cozens, Zegras, Podkolzin, Dach, Boldy in that order. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

10) Philly: Soderstrom, Victor - RHD

Vancouver picks 10th. 

45 minutes ago, TheCerebral1 said:

I'm not interested in 5'8" scoring tease guys in any program.  Does the wording "concussion risk" sound like fun.  We don't need another Tyler Ennis.  Please, oh please may it be Cozens, Zegras, Podkolzin, Dach, Boldy in that order. 

Vancouver picks 10th. 

haha, how on earth did I screw that up.  I think they take Krebs or Zegras. In this instance it would be Zegras. 

7 hours ago, Sabre1974 said:

Turcotte if available at #7. Think he will be taken before then though. 

There's growing consensus of the top 4. 

Hughes, Kakko,  Byram, and Turcotte.   I am 98% convinced that Turcotte is gone by #7. 

14 hours ago, Sabre1974 said:

Totally agree. Little chance of getting him

Sadly. The good news is that the 3rd tier will be interesting and we are near the top of it. Also you never know if a team will panic and do something dumb in front of us like reach for a defender or IMPO reach for Caufield. 

• Like (+1) 1