2019 NHL Draft

LGR4GM

So based of the way the playoffs have gone (assuming VGS holds on to this 2-0 lead) and Stl loses next round to Dallas gives us at worst 18. We could still end up with 17th pick if Columbus wins next round. I could easily see this happen. 

9 minutes ago, bobs0108 said:

So based of the way the playoffs have gone (assuming VGS holds on to this 2-0 lead) and Stl loses next round to Dallas gives us at worst 18. We could still end up with 17th pick if Columbus wins next round. I could easily see this happen. 

Ben Bishop will need to be on his game for them to win.  He has been so far.  One can hope.

1 hour ago, bobs0108 said:

Pretty sure to get St. Louis pick to 17 requires all 3 teams with fewer points than them to get to the Semis.  So Carolina would have to win tomorrow & beat the Aisles as well as the rest to get that pick to 17.

Edit: Ignore the above.  St. Louis was ahead of Columbus, Colorado, Dallas, & Vegas.  Should Vegas win tonight, then a St. Louis loss to Dallas would guarantee the Sabres 18 at worst and 17 should the BJ's beat Boston.  (Dallas would have necessarily gone to 3rd round as would the Vegas Avs winner.)

Edited by Taro T

14 minutes ago, WildCard said:

So SJ loses, what does this do for us?

The same thing Darkhelmet being Lonestar's former roommate's brother's ex-girlfriend's father's manager: absolutely nothing.  It would lock the Sabresinto St. Louis' pick as that'll either be 17-19 or 28-31.  San Jose would be mid 20's.  But the Snarks might pull this out courtesy of Pavelski's melon.  In which case the Sabres could still end up w/ either team's pick.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

I don’t believe Botterill cares one iota about the league or nationality of his top 10 pick with the possible exception of the KHL.

He moved his 3rd picks in each of the past two years out of Europe and out of college and into the CHL. Had he not won the lottery last year, I’m confident he would have picked Svechnikov. Has Casey been gone two years ago, he would have happily nabbed Cody Glass.

The Europe/college bias is a thing for later picks.

The rumor was Brady Tkatchuk was second on the Sabres Draft Board last year. Which would have been a great pick as well 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

is 17 still on the board? Im so confused how its ranked

31 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Didn't vegas have to win? I am confused as well. 

Also, I don't believe Newhook will get passed Arizona. 

17's still possible for the Sabres should Columbus, Colorado, & Dallas win their series.

19 came back on the board as well when Pavelski went nighty night should the B's, Snarks, and guys from where Kennedy was shot all advance.

• Like (+1) 1

Mock 1.0, it is just for fun and to try and slot guys

1  Hughes C New Jersey
2  Kakko RW NY rangers
3  Cozens C Chicago
4  Turcotte C Colorado
5  Byram LD LA
6  Podkolzin RW Detroit
7  Boldy LW Buffalo
8  Dach C Edmonton
9  Soderstrom RD Anaheim
10  Zegras C/LW Vancouver
11  York LD Philly
12  Krebs C Minnesota
13  Caufield RW Florida
14  Newhook C Arizona
15  Broberg LD Montreal
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Mock 1.0, it is just for fun and to try and slot guys

1  Hughes C New Jersey
2  Kakko RW NY rangers
3  Cozens C Chicago
4  Turcotte C Colorado
5  Byram LD LA
6  Podkolzin RW Detroit
7  Boldy LW Buffalo
8  Dach C Edmonton
9  Soderstrom RD Anaheim
10  Zegras C/LW Vancouver
11  York LD Philly
12  Krebs C Minnesota
13  Caufield RW Florida
14  Newhook C Arizona
15  Broberg LD Montreal

I was thinking Pod falls a little because of this U18 disappearing act.  I think it’s his team more then him, but he just hasn’t stood out.  

I think you have Caufield to low, but those look like the top 15 players and I can see how hard it is to move Caufield up given the guys slotted in front of him.  I want Boldy.  To me he looks like exactly the type of player we need.  

44 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I was thinking Pod falls a little because of this U18 disappearing act.  I think it’s his team more then him, but he just hasn’t stood out.  

I think you have Caufield to low, but those look like the top 15 players and I can see how hard it is to move Caufield up given the guys slotted in front of him.  I want Boldy.  To me he looks like exactly the type of player we need.  

Jeez if Pod is there at 7 do we take him?  From everything I've read the talent is all right there and for awhile was almost the consensus #3 pick.  But at the same time the whole Russian factor is there.  There appears to be significant talent this year at the 7 spot.  Do we gamble?

1 minute ago, Derrico said:

Jeez if Pod is there at 7 do we take him?  From everything I've read the talent is all right there and for awhile was almost the consensus #3 pick.  But at the same time the whole Russian factor is there.  There appears to be significant talent this year at the 7 spot.  Do we gamble?

no. 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

no. 

You wouldn't take Pod at 7?

Reminds me of the draft a few years ago where there was highly ranked Russian (can't remember the name) where he was suppose to go high and ended up falling to I think Dallas?  Then there's also Grigorenko lol.

3 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Reminds me of the draft a few years ago where there was highly ranked Russian (can't remember the name) where he was suppose to go high and ended up falling to I think Dallas?  Then there's also Grigorenko lol.

No I would not. And you are thinking of Valri Nichuskin (SP?). We cannot afford to miss here. Pod has a contract to stay in the KHL for another 2 years I believe. It simply isn't worth the risk. I can have 75pt Pod or 70pt Turcotte... I'll take Turcotte. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Whether we take him depends on who else is available, but he is not a gamble.

He is a helluva hockey player with none of the effort and attitude flags that came with Nikushkin.

Do the Caps regret waiting 4 years for Kuznetsov?

Edited by dudacek

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Whether we take him depends on who else is available, but he is not a gamble.

He is a helluva hockey player with none of the effort and attitude flags that came with Nikushkin.

Do the Caps regret waiting 4 years for Kuznetsov?

I have no questions on his attitude. I question does he want to come over, how comfortable will he be here, what will the adjustment look like. This might be unfair. The combine will give us some more details. 

1 hour ago, Derrico said:

That was Nicushkin maybe?  He hasn’t been particularly good.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, dudacek said:

I don’t believe Botterill cares one iota about the league or nationality of his top 10 pick with the possible exception of the KHL.

He moved his 3rd picks in each of the past two years out of Europe and out of college and into the CHL. Had he not won the lottery last year, I’m confident he would have picked Svechnikov. Has Casey been gone two years ago, he would have happily nabbed Cody Glass.

The Europe/college bias is a thing for later picks.

I'd wager if it's there's an inherent bias to how he picks, and there clearly is, there's going to be some presence of it even in a top pick. It is probably easier to distinguish clear separation at that point, so it allows the higher likelihood that a CHL player gets picked there, but in close cases I still believe league is factoring in with a top pick. We can guess about who he might have picked, or look at all his picks. 

Moving players into that league to play doesn't really have much specifically to do with draft strategy. 

He's going to select an American this year with the first pick. And it'll probably be 3 straight years with no CHL players. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

We are in the midst of another great Buffalo tease.

If Dallas wins, the Sabres pick no worse than 19.

If Dallas, Colorado and Columbus win, the Sabres pick 17.

But you know San Jose and St. Louis will both win, meaning the Sabres pick no better than 30th.