2019 NHL Draft

LGR4GM

8 minutes ago, Derrico said:

@LGR4GM - you’ve advocated for some guys who have hit in the past (barbashev and BB come to mind).  Will be interested in your final rankings once we get close to the draft.  This is such a big pick for the franchise if the pick gets made.  

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yea, gotta see the draft reports and hope for some more vids before the rankings firm up. John Beecher is a guy on my radar. A few other names, Simon Holmstrom, Alex Beaucage, Nathan Legare, Samuel Poulin. I wish we had a 2nd round pick but I wonder if someone will actually slide to the 3rd. Teams get dumb in the 2nd round for some reason. 

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Fun Fact Beecher grew up as a Sabres Fan 

Just moving this...

Beecher is a really interesting player. He should probably be a first round pick but might slide. He was on a super deep USDP squad that saw him play on the 3rd line behind basically everyone. Hughes, Turcotte, Zegras (when not playing with Hughes). Beecher skates well, good on the backcheck and forecheck. Good size. He is just good. When you play on a team with guys who are great though, kinda keeps you in the shadows. 

27 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Just moving this...

Beecher is a really interesting player. He should probably be a first round pick but might slide. He was on a super deep USDP squad that saw him play on the 3rd line behind basically everyone. Hughes, Turcotte, Zegras (when not playing with Hughes). Beecher skates well, good on the backcheck and forecheck. Good size. He is just good. When you play on a team with guys who are great though, kinda keeps you in the shadows. 

I really like Beecher too.  Wouldn't be disappointed if Buffalo took him with their 2nd 1st rounder.  Or even better if they traded back from 19 for a couple picks in the 25-50 range and snagged him with one of those plus another guy who slides.

Edited by Curtisp5286

7 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Watching the US U-18 team is hilarious   So much talent    

Boldy, Turcotte and Caufield all look fantastic in the first period  

think we are getting close for Caufield to have his own draft page   

Not in my book. He has a great shot, no doubt. But if that is what we want, we might as well put Kaliyev out there at #7. My issue with Caufield is his defensive game which I think needs work. 

Edited by LGR4GM

2 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Watching the US U-18 team is hilarious   So much talent    

Boldy, Turcotte and Caufield all look fantastic in the first period  

think we are getting close for Caufield to have his own draft page   

Agree. He should be on our radar far more than someone like Dach, Cozens, or Krebs, as Botterill isn’t going to draft a Canadian out of the CHL there, if at all (0 CHL picks in 2 drafts thus far).

Not when there are guys like Turcotte, Zegras, Boldy, and Caufield available, one of which will be the pick. 

We’ll probably have our pick out of at least 2 of them. Hughes and Kakko, the Russian, at least one of the Canadian group going ahead of 7, leaving probably max 2 chosen from those 4 Americans Botterill will be targeting. 

Could have 3 to chose from if both Dach and Cozens go top 6. 

Edited by Thorny

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Not in my book. He has a great shot, no doubt. But if that is what we want, we might as well put Kaliyev out there at #7. My issue with Caufield is his defensive game which I think needs work. 

I should delete this but... I still worry about his defensive game. 

Caufield has to be included now in that mishmash of players from 3 -10.   Now a blender of 8 players   

I think there is even a possiblity that he could be off the board before the Sabres draft , if team has Centers and is looking for a scoring winger.  

I don't think Sabres go that direction because they are in dire need of centers and a high end one will, more than likely, be available at 7. 

Im still in the Zegras or Turcotte camp but both Boldy and Caufield are more than impressive wingers

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I should delete this but... I still worry about his defensive game. 

I don't think you are wrong.  The difficult part is predicting how much he would produce without Hughes? His skating isn't "elite".  Will he be able to create time and space vs NHL dmen?   Caufield could be a grand slam pick there is a chance that he's only a solid double.   Where you could draft  Turcotte or  Zegras and be confident the pick is at least a home run.  

Edited by Crusader1969

17 hours ago, dudacek said:

I’d rather take a driver than a finisher.

16 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I can understand that. That’s why Zegras, Turcotte and Boldy are interesting there as well. 

Zegras has faded a little for me. Boldy has grown a little on me. His skating is better than I thought it was. Turcotte is basically just confirming what I thought. 

Krebs is interesting. There is a lot more jam to his game than I originally thought. 

After watching the US Russia game is there any thought that Pod might slip or was he invisible because the US team is just so dominate?

I also think Cam York and Canadian Brayden Tracey are helping themselves come draft day.  

I watched the Canadians against Belarus and Cozens and Newhook looked like men among boys

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

On 4/21/2019 at 3:28 PM, Brawndo said:

I can understand that. That’s why Zegras, Turcotte and Boldy are interesting there as well. 

I really think you/the board is narrowing right in on the right guys. It's gonna be one of those 4 (Caufield un-named in the quoted post). 

How would you guess Botterill might have the 4 ranked? It's gotta be Turcotte first, I'd bet. Next probably depends on how much he weighs position in that spot, and in what way. Boldy and Caufield are more finishers, Zegras more a playmaker, right? You'd think if play style is factoring in for him he'd lean towards finish given the roster, but if he's targeting C, could be Zegras next. 

Edited by Thorny

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

I really think you/the board is narrowing right in on the right guys. It's gonna be one of those 4 (Caufield un-named in the quoted post). 

How would you guess Botterill might have the 4 ranked? It's gotta be Turcotte first, I'd bet. Next probably depends on how much he weighs position in that spot, and in what way. Boldy and Caufield are more finishers, Zegras more a playmaker, right? You'd think if play style is factoring in for him he'd lean towards finish given the roster, but if he's targeting C, could be Zegras next. 

If I had to guess

1. Turcotte

2. Boldy 

3. Zegras 

4. Caufield

Boldy is more of a playermaker but can finish.

Boldy should be ready for the NHL come next spring as well 

Zegras might be an option if Botterill wants another Center though 

Edited by Brawndo
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

The current team USA hype shouldn’t make you forget Cozens, Dach or Krebs.

They’re all right there.

Botterill probably has them on a separate list marked "CHL - Don't draft". 

Jokes aside, he's going to select an American there. 

Edited by Thorny