2019 NHL Draft

LGR4GM

9 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Interesting how you start to draft better and start finding guys like Olofsson and Bryson. Will they make it? Maybe not but at least there is a conversation. 

Maybe we're just used to being starved for good news. This is just the way it is supposed to be.

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

@LGR4GM

TM’s drafting sucks.  There is no other way to say it.  He had three layup picks and missed on Nylander.  The rest are either marginal NHL players or mediocre prospects.  Only Olofsson and maybe Asplund and Borgen have a chance to make a long term impact with the club. Nylander is likely to be gone if he doesn’t impress in the AHL playoffs.

we needed a minimum of 3 full time NHL players per draft to make the rebuild work and so far we just 2 players from TMs drafts.  Simply horrible.  

Even if Nylander, Borgen, Olofsson and Asplund become full time Sabres that brings his grand total to 6 players.  Not enough to sustain even a mediocre team much less a rebuilding one.

i do see light in the tunnel with Jbot.  

and don't forget all the picks and prospects he traded away. Set us back years. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Well it was over a 10-year period which is a career for many players and enough time for a franchise to peak and bottom out.

Heres the rest of our division

Boston 100 games 11, 200 games 6

Detroit 100 games 15, 200 games 9

Florida 100 games 16, 200 games 11

Montreal 100 games 9, 200 games 5

Ottawa 100 games 17, 200 games 15

Tampa 100 games 17, 200 games 11

Toronto 100 games 10, 200 games 6

More on the Murray front: with Ottawa he took Cowen, Silfverberg, Lehner Wideman and Hoffman in the same draft, then followed it up two years later with Zbinejad, Noesen, Puempel, Prince, Pageau, Claeson and Dzingel. Nineteen picks, 13 of them played at least 70 NHL games.

The year between those two his uncle handed him just a 3,4,6 and 7 to work with. He was only able to snag one NHLer - a sixth-rounder by the name of Mark Stone.

I should read better. I was mostly focusing on the three year part. If you looked through ten years for teams, I now understand even more why you stopped after six teams. 

Anyway, I’ve always been a bit iffy on crediting these guys for the drafts with the other teams. I understand that he or Boterill May have been high up in that room even if not in the GM chair. But they’re still just a voice in that room as opposed to being THE voice in that room. By the same logic, shouldn’t someone get the credit/blame for their drafts here? I’ve never quite understood why we can have it both ways. 

It may vary depending on the team, but the GM typically gets way too much credit and and blame.

At most he hires the scouts, sets the tone, provides direction on what he’s looking for, breaks deadlocks in the scouting room and does some first-hand scouting around the top pick. I suspect a lot of times he even delegates most of that to his assistant GM or scouting director. I doubt he’s even seen the Jacob  Brysons and the Matej Pekars play much, if it all.

Scouts cover their areas and lobby for their guys, senior scouts cross-reference areas, scouting directors compile the lists and decide who to focus extra attention on. Any calls the GM makes is based heavily on what these guys are telling him. My favourite example was when Bobby Clarke was GM of the Flyers and snoozed at the draft table, then couldn’t even remember the name of the guy he was picking (Claude Giroux).

Murray might have had more influence over those Ottawa drafts than he did over his drafts here.

The 2014 draft was far more the work of Kevin Devine and Darcy Regier’s holdover team than Murray, who had been on the job six months, hadn’t hired his guys yet and was largely focused on the NHL team and completing the tank.

It didn’t get a ton of publicity, but Botterill launched a huge bloodletting after his first draft. Murray’s top draft lieutenant Greg Royce was fired when Murray was, leaving the number three guy Jeff Crisp to finish the 2017 board based on their template with some input from Botterill. That year was probably more Murray than 2014 was.

Meanwhile, Botterill poured over the records of the scouting staff looking to see individual hits and misses. The scouts that had too many misses over the years  - a lot of them - were punted. Last year was more accurately the first true showing by Botterill and his team, headed by Sexton and Ryan Jankowski. 

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

So if Columbus wins the next round and STL loses before the conference finals the STL pick moves up to at least 19, we reclaim it and ANA gets the SJ pick. The pick could go higher if other teams ahead of STL (like LV) get to the conference finals

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ct fab said:

So if Columbus wins the next round and STL loses before the conference finals the STL pick moves up to at least 19, we reclaim it and ANA gets the SJ pick. The pick could go higher if other teams ahead of STL (like LV) get to the conference finals

Is it the conference finals or the cup finals that move you? 

9 hours ago, ct fab said:

It's funny how things that once looked absurd suddenly seem far more realistic.  A week ago I would have stopped reading after the 4th word.  Ultimately there may not wind up being a difference between those two picks, but it would still be nice to have more of a choice in who you take.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Is it the conference finals or the cup finals that move you? 

Conference finals, the last 4

8 minutes ago, shrader said:

It's funny how things that once looked absurd suddenly seem far more realistic.  A week ago I would have stopped reading after the 4th word.  Ultimately there may not wind up being a difference between those two picks, but it would still be nice to have more of a choice in who you take.

Conference finals, the last 4

I will be cheering for Columbus then. Bumping that pick to 19 as opposed to 26 really changes what we could get. 

There is always a reach or 2 in the teens that makes someone better slide. 

10 hours ago, ct fab said:

We need Columbus, Vegas, Dallas or Colorado to advance while St. Louis doesn’t. I didn’t think that was very likely but it’s looking like a decent shot now. Vegas could end up facing St. Louis in the next round which would put us in quite the rooting scenario.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

So the Final Four Teams Draft 28-31st? 

Yes.

Well, there's a pretty good shot that at least one of those 4 picks has already been traded away.  If Toronto moves on to face Columbus, that would guarantee it, as both teams have traded their pick.

4 minutes ago, shrader said:

Yes.

Well, there's a pretty good shot that at least one of those 4 picks has already been traded away.  If Toronto moves on to face Columbus, that would guarantee it, as both teams have traded their pick.

Does trading the pick impact how this all works? 

Were Toronto and Columbus below St Louis in the standings at the end? Wouldn't they need to be to bump that pick down? 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Were Toronto and Columbus below St Louis in the standings at the end? Wouldn't they need to be to bump that pick down? 

No it won’t impact how this works. St. Louis would still move down (or up depending on how you look at it).

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

It has nothing to do with the trades, just like how Colorado had the highest draft lottery odds, the pick is based solely on the original holder. 

Looking at the standings, Toronto was above St. Louis and Columbus was below.

10 minutes ago, shrader said:

It has nothing to do with the trades, just like how Colorado had the highest draft lottery odds, the pick is based solely on the original holder. 

Looking at the standings, Toronto was above St. Louis and Columbus was below.

I just asked because you mentioned the trading of picks. So we need Columbus to win 1 more round. What Toronto does, doesn't matter then? 

Is there a way that Colorado, Vegas, or Dallas could play eachother in round 2? If my understanding is correct, if that were to happen, we would be guaranteed that the pick slides. 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I just asked because you mentioned the trading of picks. So we need Columbus to win 1 more round. What Toronto does, doesn't matter then? 

Is there a way that Colorado, Vegas, or Dallas could play eachother in round 2? If my understanding is correct, if that were to happen, we would be guaranteed that the pick slides. 

Colorado and Vegas can meet in round two. If that happens and STL is eliminated by the Jets we’re guaranteed to get the pick. Toronto finished ahead of STL so what they do has no impact.

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I kind of went off on a tangent there.  When you're trying to see who wound up with the final 4 picks in previous drafts, you want to just look at those draft results.  But since at least one of those picks usually winds up being dealt, it ruins that simple plan.  3 of them were traded last year, which adds to the fun if you don't go to the right place to track the draft history.