2019 NHL Draft

LGR4GM

30 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Thomas Harley and John Beecher are players to think about with pick 26, if available. 

Beecher especially I like for Buffalo.  I think he may be a bit overlooked due to being buried on that USNTDP team.  Big, fast, nasty, with more puck skills and upside than you might realize at first glance. 

I’ve read Harley has really moved up and as one of the best defencemen is likely to go in the teens.

As far as Pod goes, the Russians who ran have largely been undisciplined personalities. That’s a significantly more important factor than nationality. What kind of individual is he?

On the ice he is a complete player and a competitor with a ton of talent. I was very opposed to Nichushkin in 03 because he seemed like a me-first kind of player and person. I’m not getting that kind of vibe from Pod at all. 

I do imagine there are teams that will play the Russian factor up while crossing their fingers he drops to them.

(Besides, our core has an American, a Swede, a Canadian and a Finn. We’re due for a Russian. ?)

@LGR4GM

TM’s drafting sucks.  There is no other way to say it.  He had three layup picks and missed on Nylander.  The rest are either marginal NHL players or mediocre prospects.  Only Olofsson and maybe Asplund and Borgen have a chance to make a long term impact with the club. Nylander is likely to be gone if he doesn’t impress in the AHL playoffs.

we needed a minimum of 3 full time NHL players per draft to make the rebuild work and so far we just 2 players from TMs drafts.  Simply horrible.  

Even if Nylander, Borgen, Olofsson and Asplund become full time Sabres that brings his grand total to 6 players.  Not enough to sustain even a mediocre team much less a rebuilding one.

i do see light in the tunnel with Jbot.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

I don’t think any team gets 3 NHL players a draft, or are you counting roster filler as part of that?

I randomly looked at the past 10 years from Calgary: nine of their picks have played 100 NHL games, including three “gimme” picks in the top six. Seven of those have played 200. 

St. Louis: 10 have played 100 NHL games. Five of those have played 200.

San Jose: 10 have played 100 NHL games. Six have played 200.

Washington: 13 have played 100. Eight 200.

These are good teams and none have them have even averaged two, let alone three.

Added in the Coyotes to look at a mediocre team: 12 played 100, 5 played 200

The Sabres have had 13 play 100, 12 play 200.

Tim Murray draft picks have played 747 games, second most in the NHL over that three year period from the six teams I looked at.

Coyotes 1049

Flames 745

Blues 593

Sharks 591

Capitals 217

Now it makes sense the better teams would not have the high picks, or the available roster spots, but I don’t know that Murray’s drafting is the complete disaster it’s being made out to be.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I’ve read Harley has really moved up and as one of the best defencemen is likely to go in the teens.

As far as Pod goes, the Russians who ran have largely been undisciplined personalities. That’s a significantly more important factor than nationality. What kind of individual is he?

On the ice he is a complete player and a competitor with a ton of talent. I was very opposed to Nichushkin in 03 because he seemed like a me-first kind of player and person. I’m not getting that kind of vibe from Pod at all. 

I do imagine there are teams that will play the Russian factor up while crossing their fingers he drops to them.

(Besides, our core has an American, a Swede, a Canadian and a Finn. We’re due for a Russian. ?)

you'd have to have Pod ranked considerably higher than the other guys left on the board. 

Assuming Pod is still there at 7, my best guess is that the Sabres would have to choose between one of Cozens, Dach, Turcotte, Zegras and Byram or Pod.  I think I would go with the North American player over  the Russian. not only because of nationality but because of position.  

Keep forgetting about Krebs, will be interesting to watch him at the u18s when he has other good players to play with.

Edited by Crusader1969

47 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

But that is really only from 2 players.  There is a reasonable chance that's all we get from TM's efforts.  Those were also lay ups.  I'm sorry but two players from 3 drafts on a rebuilding team is abject failure.

Yep. Especially when he had multiple extra picks.  Three high second round picks and he misses on all of them?  I thought drafting was suppose to be his strength.  Time will tell but JBott picks have much more promise imo.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

But that is really only from 2 players.  There is a reasonable chance that's all we get from TM's efforts.  Those were also lay ups.  I'm sorry but two players from 3 drafts on a rebuilding team is abject failure.

Why is “rebuilding team“ relevant? 

Guys, I’m not defending Murray as an astute drafter, but there are maybe six or eight guys in that entire 2014 second round who look like they are going to have NHL careers. And Murray picked one of them in Brendan Lemieux.

20 of them have played 10 games or less, 15 of those have yet to play an NHL game.

Eichel and Reinhart were lay-ups, sure, but that’s just the way the draft works. Lemieux is an ass, but he’s going to stick. 

If two of Nylander, Olofsson, Guhle, Borgen, or Asplund make it, then we did OK.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Guys, I’m not defending Murray as an astute drafter, but there are maybe six or eight guys in that entire 2014 second round who look like they are going to have NHL careers. And Murray picked one of them in Brendan Lemieux.

20 of them have played 10 games or less, 15 of those have yet to play an NHL game.

Eichel and Reinhart were lay-ups, sure, but that’s just the way the draft works. Lemieux is an ass, but he’s going to stick. 

If two of Nylander, Olofsson, Guhle, Borgen, or Asplund make it, then we did OK.

Reality checks are always welcome. 

I don’t think any team gets 3 NHL players a draft, or are you counting roster filler as part of that?

I randomly looked at the past 10 years from Calgary: nine of their picks have played 100 NHL games, including three “gimme” picks in the top six. Seven of those have played 200. 

These are good teams and none have them have even averaged two, let alone three.

Tim Murray draft picks have played 747 games, second most in the NHL over that three year period from the six teams I looked at.

Coyotes 1049

Flames 745

Blues 593

Sharks 591

Capitals 217

Now it makes sense the better teams would not have the high picks, or the available roster spots, but I don’t know that Murray’s drafting is the complete disaster it’s being made out to be.

Thanks for doing  the work. I’ve been singing this song for awhile. I love coming to this board for insight and info but somewhere along the way there seems to be a disconnect when it comes to drafting and prospects and what it means to the rebuild. 

Edited by tom webster
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Probably because you're taking it out of context

How did I take it out of context?  What's the context I'm missing?  You said we can't miss on Pick 7 and I'm saying we absolutely can and I'll almost guarantee you one of the consensus top 7-8 guys will not live up to expectations.  Just like Strome in 15,  Dale Colle in 14, Nurse in 13 (I would still argue this), Yakupov in 12, Larrson in 11 (don't care what he was traded for), Gudbranson in 10, Glennie in 09, Filatov in 08, Hickey in 07.......

Coyotes 1049

Flames 745

Blues 593

Sharks 591

Capitals 217

I look at that list and the first question that immediately comes to mind is if any team had more picks than the others.  I feel like we probably had more than most teams, but at the same time, he did trade away a lot.  But also, did you really only look at just 6 teams?  I don't blame you for not wanting to sink much time into it, but it's a bit tough to take away too much from so few teams, especially when 2-3 of them were always drafting in the late 20s (not sure where St. Louis falls in).

• Like (+1) 1

That's how. 

You ignored the part about Pod. We can't afford to miss that pick. Should help clear it up. Again you deleted context. 

8 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

And Pod is signed for 2 more years in the KHL. Just something to think about. You can't miss this pick at #7. 

Aka, they can't afford to miss it. Not what you took it is. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

That's how. 

You ignored the part about Pod. We can't afford to miss that pick. Should help clear it up. Again you deleted context. 

Aka, they can't afford to miss it. Not what you took it is. 

My apologies.  Yes, I did read that wrong.  I thought you were making two separate points there.

Edited by Derrico

Just now, Derrico said:

My apologies.  Yes, I did read that wrong.  I thought you were making two separate points there.

My apologies for not being clear. The "afford" part is critical and I didn't include that. It 100% helps clarify what I meant. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Derrico said:

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

My apologies for not being clear. The "afford" part is critical and I didn't include that. It 100% helps clarify what I meant. 

Way too civil. Spice it up or I'm reporting you both.

Edited by Hoss
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I look at that list and the first question that immediately comes to mind is if any team had more picks than the others.  I feel like we probably had more than most teams, but at the same time, he did trade away a lot.  But also, did you really only look at just 6 teams?  I don't blame you for not wanting to sink much time into it, but it's a bit tough to take away too much from so few teams, especially when 2-3 of them were always drafting in the late 20s (not sure where St. Louis falls in).

Well it was over a 10-year period which is a career for many players and enough time for a franchise to peak and bottom out.

Heres the rest of our division

Boston 100 games 11, 200 games 6

Detroit 100 games 15, 200 games 9

Florida 100 games 16, 200 games 11

Montreal 100 games 9, 200 games 5

Ottawa 100 games 17, 200 games 15

Tampa 100 games 17, 200 games 11

Toronto 100 games 10, 200 games 6

More on the Murray front: with Ottawa he took Cowen, Silfverberg, Lehner Wideman and Hoffman in the same draft, then followed it up two years later with Zbinejad, Noesen, Puempel, Prince, Pageau, Claeson and Dzingel. Nineteen picks, 13 of them played at least 70 NHL games.

The year between those two his uncle handed him just a 3,4,6 and 7 to work with. He was only able to snag one NHLer - a sixth-rounder by the name of Mark Stone.

Edited by dudacek