2019 NHL Draft

LGR4GM

If Tage develops, he and Dach would be an interesting, imposing proposition at 6'5" and 6' 4".  They could each stand on opposite sides of the ice and their sticks would meet at the center dot.

So I haven't been up to date with the draft as much as past years.  I was going to read up on the old draft thread but it's now gone.  Cole's note version, what kind of prospect should we expect at 7?  Some years the draft is much deeper at the top, other years it's weak after the first two or three picks.   Hearing some names but haven't read anything yet.....

22 minutes ago, Derrico said:

So I haven't been up to date with the draft as much as past years.  I was going to read up on the old draft thread but it's now gone.  Cole's note version, what kind of prospect should we expect at 7?  Some years the draft is much deeper at the top, other years it's weak after the first two or three picks.   Hearing some names but haven't read anything yet.....

https://theathletic.com/904724/2019/04/09/the-athletics-2019-nhl-mock-draft-lottery-edition-devils-get-the-no-1-pick/ 

The penultimate Wingnutt ranking for the 2019 draft.
##    Player       
    Tier I       
1    Hughes, Jack       
2    Kakko, Kaapo       
    Tier II       
3    Cozens, Dylan       
4    Podkolzin, Vasili       
5    Byram, Bowen       
6    Dach, Kirby       
    Tier III       
7    Turcotte, Alex       
8    Krebs, Peyton       
9    Boldy, Matthew       
10    Zegras, Trevor       
    Tier IV       
11    Broberg, Philip       
12    Suzuki, Ryan       
13    Newhook, Alex       
14    Söderström, Victor       
15    York, Cam       
16    Lavoie, Raphaël       
17    Kaliyev, Arthur       
18    Caufield, Cole       
    Tier V       
19    Robertson, Matthew       
20    Seider, Moritz       
21    Pelletier, Jakob       
    Tier VI       
22    Knight, Spencer       
23    Harley, Thomas       
24    Honka, Anttoni       
25    Höglander, Nils       
26    Poulin, Samuel       
27    McMichael, Connor       
28    Robertson, Nicholas       
29    Grewe, Albin       
30    Vlasic, Alex       
31    Kokkonen, Mikko       
32    Brink, Bobby       
33    Björnfot, Tobias       
34    Foote, Nolan       
35    Dorofeyev, Pavel       
36    Heinola, Ville       
37    Thomson, Lassi       
38    Korczak, Kaedan       
39    Holmström, Simon       
    Tier VII       
40    Beecher, John       
41    Mastrosimone, Robert       
42    Warren, Marshall       
43    Kolyachonok, Vladislav       
44    Gutik, Daniil       
45    Cajkovic, Maxim       
46    Puistola, Patrik       
47    Johnson, Ryan       
48    Rees, Jamieson       
49    Afanasyev, Yegor       
50    Teplý, Michal       
51    Constantinou, Billy       
52    Spiridonov, Yegor       
53    Thrun, Henry       
54    Guskov, Matvei       
55    Nussbaumer, Valentin       
56    Mutala, Sasha       
57    Nikolayev, Ilya       
58    Nikkanen, Henri       
59    Leason, Brett       
60    Donovan, Ryder       
61    Helleson, Drew       
62    McCarthy, Case       
63    Saarela, Antti    

• Like (+1) 1

@lgr4gm  no thread for Cozens? No chance of dropping to 7?

I have never been enamoured with the idea of favouring big centres and we already have a powerhouse in Jack. But Cozens and Dach are  the types of players that go top 5 most years.

Turcotte appears to be exactly what I do like: a smart competitor. Add speed and fit, and he is my favourite here.

Zegras skill is impressive. He will be a player and should add skill to our top six long-term. I like him better than Krebs, but I could say the same things about Krebs.

Boldy appears to be a well rounded guy who can complement one of our centres for a long time. He is the least exciting for me, but is a solid pick.

Byrum and Pod are the real deal and should be picked higher than 7. Would be very happy with either.

In short, I am not to worried about our pick. If we don’t go off the board, chances of a Reinhart-level player are pretty good.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

Draft order after last night:

1. New Jersey Devils

2. New York Rangers

3. Chicago Blackhawks

4. Colorado Avalanche (from Ottawa)

5. Los Angeles Kings

6. Detroit Red Wings

7. Buffalo Sabres

8. Edmonton Oilers

9. Anaheim Ducks

10. Vancouver Canucks

11. Philadelphia Flyers

12. Minnesota Wild

13. Florida Panthers

14. Arizona Coyotes

15. Montreal Canadiens

more mocks 

NHL.COM  

https://www.nhl.com/news/2019-nhl-mock-draft-after-lottery-results/c-306630982?tid=277764372

Sabres Picks:

7. Buffalo Sabres

Kimelman -- Cole Caufield, RW, USA U-18 (NTDP): Ignore Caufield's size (5-7, 162), because the 18-year-old might be the best pure goal scorer available in the draft. His 54 goals this season were one off center Auston Matthews' single-season NTDP high, and his 108 goals in two seasons at the NTDP broke forward Phil Kessel's record of 104. Seeing him lining up alongside centers Jack Eichel or Casey Mittelstadt would give the Sabres' offense a jolt from the right side that Jeff Skinner provided from the left this season. He'll play at the University of Wisconsin next season.

Morreale -- Cozens: The right-shot center will provide the Sabres with additional depth through the middle. When using his speed and attacking, Cozens is very difficult to contain. He's a fantastic skater, tough in all areas of the ice and finished tied for 10th in the Western Hockey League with 84 points (34 goals, 50 assists) in 68 regular-season games.

Lepage -- Dach: Here is a big power forward who would strengthen the Sabres down the middle. Dach not only brings size but plays at high speed and has a good touch around the net.

McKeens Hockey

https://www.mckeenshockey.com/nhl-blog/post-lottery-2019-nhl-mock-draft/

1. Buffalo Sabres – Trevor Zegras, C/W, USNTDP (USHL)

This pick could have gone in many different directions, but many of those directions passed through the US Under-18 squad in Plymouth, Michigan. I am picking Zegras here, more because of his versatility than due to our actually ranking him higher than any of the other available talents. Buffalo lacks much of anything on the wings in the system, both on the NHL roster and in the system. They would likely select Podkolzin if he drops another spot but would be very happy to have Zegras develop on their watch.

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

For those keeping Track:

So far ive seen Sabres taking Cozens, Caufield, Dach (2 times), Zegras, Turcotte, and Boldy

Wow.  Usually there is a near Consensus top 10 or so.  Feels like this year there may not be a big difference between 3-8 or 10

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

The only concern I have about Dach is his reported inconsistency. Some games he dominates, others you forget he is on the ice. 

So he's inconsistent, and a big power forward, which means I'm guessing he can't skate all that well?

Avoid him like the plague

I want Cozens or Caufield. Caufield is just so small though

6 minutes ago, WildCard said:

So he's inconsistent, and a big power forward, which means I'm guessing he can't skate all that well?

I want Cozens or Caufield. Caufield is just so small though

Ya 5'7 is crazy.  It's not the 90's and I don't need all my guys over 6' but 5'7 is bordering on ridiculous.

7 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Ya 5'7 is crazy.  It's not the 90's and I don't need all my guys over 6' but 5'7 is bordering on ridiculous.

I notice Cole is one of the few without his own Draft Option thread. Is 5'7 just completely out of the question for us picking that high? For comparison, Martin St.Louis was 5'8. And, who knows, maybe he puts another inch or two on

6 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I notice Cole is one of the few without his own Draft Option thread. Is 5'7 just completely out of the question for us picking that high? For comparison, Martin St.Louis was 5'8. And, who knows, maybe he puts another inch or two on

He's not ranked top 10 consistently so he's not getting his own thread. At 19, I would take him. At 12 I might even. At 7, there's just other options. 

30 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I don’t think Dach’s skating is a question mark, but it’s not as good as Turcotte/Zegras/Cozens/Krebs.  Boldy also has not great skating, but both are better skaters than Reinhart, for example.

Edited by Curtisp5286

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

But that's solely because of his height, right?

Partially. He also isn't a dynamic skater. Players that size really need that water bug skating. He's not there. Also there's questions about how he'd work away from a great distributor like Hughes. He just has more questions. 

He's a good skater but not elite. 

• Thanks (+1) 1