NEXT COACH should be? mega thread ...

Zamboni

Friedman and Jeff Marek have both tossed out the idea of us trading for Boudreau. No clue what it would take but there’s some people on Twitter who have been saying we should offer our late first for him. What say you?

If we do that I say Fire Botterill before the trade goes through.

Just now, Hoss said:

Friedman and Jeff Marek have both tossed out the idea of us trading for Boudreau. No clue what it would take but there’s some people on Twitter who have been saying we should offer our late first for him. What say you?

Responses to this would definitely reflect how someone values a coachs contribution the teams' success.

It's an interesting idea.  I'm not automatically down on it.

Did we give up a pick for Botteril?  Or was it Bylsma maybe?  Am I misremembering?

12 minutes ago, Weave said:

Responses to this would definitely reflect how someone values a coachs contribution the teams' success.

It's an interesting idea.  I'm not automatically down on it.

Did we give up a pick for Botteril?  Or was it Bylsma maybe?  Am I misremembering?

Sabres gave a 3rd RD pick for Bylsma back in the day. idk if thats what u were thinking of

Edited by MillerVaive
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MillerVaive said:

Sabres gave a 3rd RD pick for Bylsma back in the day. idk if thats what u were thinking of

Yep. It was a league rule that shafted Buffalo and Edmonton and I think one other team before they changed it.

Outside of rule-mandated compensation, Quebec traded Michel Bergeron to the Rangers for a 1st rounder  in 1987. First time such a deal had ever happened and the only time I can remember.

Not an option I’m interested in.

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Disgusting. I absolutely agree that it would be a fireable offense. 

Look, I don't want to trade the pick for a coach either, really, but to play devil's advocate, if Housley was as detrimental to this team's success as many think, if a coach has that much impact, I could be persuaded that giving up a late first for a coach is the right move, if for some reason Botterill is absolutely certain that coach is the right man for the job.

What good would that player from that pick be if it's a Housley-ish guy implementing him?

Edited by Thorny

Someone call Scott Sandelin from UMD. His teams play the right way. Solid defense, great goaltending, great PK. Timely and opportunistic scoring. 

I’ve seen this guy run a great program for the past 10 years (he’s been there longer than that) and he makes his teams play hard every game. He’s on the cusp of winning a second straight national championship. He might be willing to jump to this level.

32 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

You don't think he's learned anything since then?  I look at what his business is now, and that sounds a LOT like what the Sabres need as a team.

Which is why he won't be a head coach. He's been on podcasts, he loves that business and won't leave it. Kinda like Jordan Palmer

I’ve repeatedly said I don’t really care a whole lot about the next coach (outside of being adamant that we CANNOT give up a high draft pick for one) but if I had my own choice it’d be Sheldon Keefe. I will be happy if that ends up happening and I won’t care much if it doesn’t.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I’ve repeatedly said I don’t really care a whole lot about the next coach (outside of being adamant that we CANNOT give up a high draft pick for one) but if I had my own choice it’d be Sheldon Keefe. I will be happy if that ends up happening and I won’t care much if it doesn’t.

We've seen what a coaching disaster can look like, and around the league we've seen just how much a good coach is worth. I think this is a big deal for us 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

You don't think he's learned anything since then?  I look at what his business is now, and that sounds a LOT like what the Sabres need as a team.

This is like asking if Disco Dan learned anything by watching TV.

7 minutes ago, WildCard said:

We've seen what a coaching disaster can look like, and around the league we've seen just how much a good coach is worth. I think this is a big deal for us 

I think Hoss' point is he has no idea who is going to be good until they're good, so he won't get too bent out of shape over it.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I think Hoss' point is he has no idea who is going to be good until they're good, so he won't get too bent out of shape over it.

That's about where I am at.  Then again, I'm numb enough that this team doesn't rise any kind of emotion anymore, good or bad.

3 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Precisely. Life is stressful enough. Coaching is an area where there simply isn't enough data available to fans for us to actually know anything.

I'll continue to think it's a useless exercise to get worked up over candidates.

3 hours ago, WildCard said:

It's definitely a huge moment for the franchise but see above.

22 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Precisely. Life is stressful enough. Coaching is an area where there simply isn't enough data available to fans for us to actually know anything.

I think the same is true of prospects as well. I can't get overly excited when I'm nowhere near qualified to make a judgement about them.

Just now, Weave said:

I think the same is true of prospects as well. I can't get overly excited when I'm nowhere near qualified to make a judgement about them.

Yea, I try not to get too up or down outside of the true top picks (like 1-2). Generally there's a "can't miss/would be a historic bust" player or two in each draft. Beyond that it's really tough to judge. I do get a little more involved with prospects, but it's more for self-entertainment than anything.