NEXT COACH should be? mega thread ...

Zamboni

6 minutes ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

No Thanks on Tippett. Just checked his record as an NHL coach and I'm not impressed. Give me Sheldon Keefe and we're all set for a decade.

22nd in NHL History with most wins as a head coach...

11 minutes ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

No Thanks on Tippett. Just checked his record as an NHL coach and I'm not impressed. Give me Sheldon Keefe and we're all set for a decade.

He got the Coyotes to a conference final , isn't that impressive?  I find it amazing to see that so many fans will just assume a coach, player... will just duplicate their exact record at their latest job, seemingly totally oblivious to the fact that no 2 situations are remotely comparable. All different players, different management, different competition....

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I'm not saying that he is a bad coach or should not be considered for the Sabres.....just trying to down play the hype that there may not be better options.

As far as Coyotes go....that team was a mess with ownership and the threat of moving the team. Maybe no others wanted the job and they kept him as long as they could.

I live in Phoenix and always found Tippet to be a solid coach. And after the reached the conference finals, it was a mess out here. I think he did as well as anyone could have, but they decided to go full rebuild with new ownership and they gutted the hockey department.  I think we should feel comfortable if he is the choice.

• Thanks (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Briere48 said:

Obviously small sample size but if it was true that he doesn't do well with young players or like to develop kids, i don't think he would've been on the staff to coach Team North America at the 2016 World Cup which was literally full of only kids, including Jack Eichel.

Are there any coaches out there with a reputation for developing young players?

2 hours ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

Did you look at any of the rosters he had or just the records?  Guessing it's the latter.

Look at what he had to work with.  He's a good coach.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, klos1963 said:

I live in Phoenix and always found Tippet to be a solid coach. And after the reached the conference finals, it was a mess out here. I think he did as well as anyone could have, but they decided to go full rebuild with new ownership and they gutted the hockey department.  I think we should feel comfortable if he is the choice.

I lived in Glendale. Spent last winter there with my dad after mom passed away. Couldn't believe they picked up Wedgewood...terrible and inconsistent.

Lived near 55th Ave and Greenway Rd.

So you're all excited to bring in a solid, retread. Let's be ahead of the curve for once. Keefe has won at every level he's been given a chance at. Make no mistake about it the NHL will come calling soon. And, he will win just like at every other level.

How can you be impressed by a record (Tippett) of 14 yrs as a coach and missed playoffs half the time (including last 5 years in a row)? And, only advanced past first round a couple times, and just once to the third round. I don't want to hear he had no talent either. The great coaches don't have records like this. Solid maybe, but not good enough. I want someone with the potential to win it all.

Raise your standards people and shoot for something bigger.

Edited by Torpedo Forecheck
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

So you're all excited to bring in a solid, retread. Let's be ahead of the curve for once. Keefe has won at every level he's been given a chance at. Make no mistake about it the NHL will come calling soon. And, he will win just like at every other level.

How can you be impressed by a record (Tippett) of 14 yrs as a coach and missed playoffs half the time (including last 5 years in a row)? And, only advanced past first round a couple times, and just once to the third round. I don't want to hear he had no talent either. The great coaches don't have records like this. Solid maybe, but not good enough. I want someone with the potential to win it all.

Quenneville, Trotz, Julien, Sutter, Babcock. All "retreads" who have won the cup in the last 10 years. There is no exact science to this process. We just have to trust JBott will find what he's looking for and make the right decision.

17 minutes ago, slugspirit said:

Quenneville, Trotz, Julien, Sutter, Babcock. All "retreads" who have won the cup in the last 10 years. There is no exact science to this process. We just have to trust JBott will find what he's looking for and make the right decision.

You can add Bylsma to that list.

9 minutes ago, French Collection said:

You can add Bylsma to that list.

Bylsma won the cup in his first year as a head coach in the NHL. He's actually an example which supports hiring a guy like Keefe. The rest of the list had "failed" at previous stops before winning it elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, slugspirit said:

Bylsma won the cup in his first year as a head coach in the NHL. He's actually an example which supports hiring a guy like Keefe. The rest of the list had "failed" at previous stops before winning it elsewhere. 

It's become typical in our society to judge success or failure in superficial terms . Because you haven't won a cup etc. we now think people are "failures"? No depth to most of our labeling people is sad really. Keefe has "won at every level" except one. The level of the NHL. Not at all against hiring him but I think he does lack the NHL experience which has some meaning.

We scored more goals than the stars and two less than the Islanders this year, the only reason they are in the playoffs and we are not is defense.  We let in 70 goals more than those two teams, its pretty much the same for most teams that didn't make the playoffs.

A coach like Tippet who is supposed to be known for his defense might fix at least that issue.

13 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

We scored more goals than the stars and two less than the Islanders this year, the only reason they are in the playoffs and we are not is defense.  We let in 70 goals more than those two teams, its pretty much the same for most teams that didn't make the playoffs.

A coach like Tippet who is supposed to be known for his defense might fix at least that issue.

Was it defense or goaltending?

Just now, inkman said:

Was it defense or goaltending?

To be honest I don't really know, I think all 5 on the ice were to blame a lot for making mistakes that led to goals.    Goalies didn't do much either after the 10 game winning streak.

5 hours ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

Only a Sith thinks in absolutes 

4 hours ago, slugspirit said:

No one is saying it is an exact science. Don't forget context when stating examples. All the guys above went into situations with teams ready to win and needed to get over the hump. The current Sabres situation in no way resembles that.

6 hours ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

Just because you don't want to hear the teams had no talent, doesn't mean it wasn't a valid reason for not making the playoffs. It's actually an incredibly valid reason. One of the best reasons.

• Like (+1) 1

We judge coaches almost solely on perception: Do I like how he looks behind the bench? Do I like the way he interacts with the media? Do I think his teams met my expectations? What are people saying about him?

What matters are his philosophies about general strategy, in-game tactics,  player development and managing people, and how those match with philosophies of the organization and the type of players they have and intend to acquire. And we don't see that stuff.

We have no idea if Tippett (Bylsma, Richards...) is a mediocre coach who failed to maximize the talent handed him, or a great coach who made the most out of a bad situation. We have no idea if Gronberg (Housley, Keefe...) is the next big thing, or a guy who won't be able to make the jump.

It's fun to talk about, but we really don't have a clue.

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

We judge coaches almost solely on perception: Do I like how he looks behind the bench? Do I like the way he interacts with the media? Do I think his teams met my expectations? What are people saying about him?

What matters are his philosophies about general strategy, in-game tactics,  player development and managing people, and how those match with philosophies of the organization and the type of players they have and intend to acquire. And we don't see that stuff.

We have no idea if Tippett (Bylsma, Richards...) is a mediocre coach who failed to maximize the talent handed him, or a great coach who made the most out of a bad situation. We have no idea if Gronberg (Housley, Keefe...) is the next big thing, or a guy who won't be able to make the jump.

It's fun to talk about, but we really don't have a clue.

Actually, I've seen and spoken to Sheldon...so I do have an good idea of his philosophy, tactics and strategy. The notion some people have on here is that someone like Tippett might get them to the playoffs may well be true. All I'm saying is that there are certain guys who win and are special at it. They are above the guys like Tippett. The talent on a team is not just on the GM either. The utilization and assessment of the players is on the coach. And, that is an underrated aspect of a hockey coach. Guys confidence and development is strongly tied to this. I see Keefe as a guy who fits this model of a modern hockey coach.

Edited by Torpedo Forecheck
  • Like (+1) 1