NEXT COACH should be? mega thread ...

Zamboni

15 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Yet we want an innovative forward thinking out-of-the-box GM who will hire the next coming of a brain child AHL coach with no NHL experience. Or a re-tread. Or an NHL assistant coach. Or a (former) Cup winner.Or a HOF Alumni. Or.....Or.....Or.....Nolan.....Or....Rolston......Or.......?????

Next thing you'll be saying is that we should take fighting out of the game. Or change the rules for whether or not an 18yr old kid can play in the AHL instead of the going back to Jrs. Or take out the center red line offsides. Make players wear a helmet or a mask. Make sticks out of something other than wood. How about we don't have analytics. How about we change the rules so a player like John Scott or Zemgus Girgensons can't get voted to the All-Star Game.

I get it.....it's never been done before, rules never change, thinking out-of-the-box is just stupid, and there's never "a first time for anything".

I stop when others stop trying to promote "their" ideas of how things should happen and that any other coaching hire is the second coming of ......?

Isn't that why we're all here....to express our thoughts and get feed back that isn't just.....these things don't happen, stop it or you'll get a spanking.

username checks out.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

No... the HC hires his assistants... not the GM.     

Does Tippett have a connection to Gronberg?

Shane Doan on Tippett....

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/472786/he-sees-the-game-the-right-way-former-nhl-player-shane-doan-talks-dave-tippett/?

“We’re like five days into training camp… and we’d finished 25 points out of a playoff spot; we were embarrassingly bad. And Tipp came in that year and we went from being 25 points out of the playoff spot to being third overall in the NHL. We finished with the highest points that we’d ever finished with as an organization. And I was sold, hook-line-and-sinker, on the ability of him to coach and manage a team. It was unbelievable what he did with that group, and the turnaround; he won Coach of the Year, and everything kind of went from there. It was absolutely phenomenal. And I really enjoyed getting to know him that year and that kind of was the start of my relationship with him. It showed his ability to take a team that wasn’t very good and instill a whole bunch of discipline and belief in the group, and kind of turned us around.”

This is exactly what this team needs. Especially the last sentence.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

It happened twice with head coaches groomed under Scotty Bowman in Detroit.

he wasn’t hired the first time with the idea that he’d either voluntarily or involuntarily scoot out the door for someone else who was simultaneously hired to learn under him.

im all for trying new things but this ain’t it.

1 hour ago, sabresouth said:

This is exactly what this team needs. Especially the last sentence.

Lot's of playoff losses and missed playoffs? We've had those already too.

Team Year Regular season Post-season
G W L T OTL Pts Finish W L Result
DAL 2002–03 82 49 17 15 4 111 1st in Pacific 6 6 Lost in Conference Semifinals
DAL 2003–04 82 41 26 13 2 97 2nd in Pacific 1 4 Lost in Conference Quarterfinals
DAL 2005–06 82 53 23 6 112 1st in Pacific 1 4 Lost in Conference Quarterfinals
DAL 2006–07 82 50 25 7 107 3rd in Pacific 3 4 Lost in Conference Quarterfinals
DAL 2007–08 82 45 30 7 97 3rd in Pacific 10 8 Lost in Conference Finals
DAL 2008–09 82 36 35 11 83 3rd in Pacific - - Missed playoffs
PHX 2009–10 82 50 25 7 107 2nd in Pacific 3 4 Lost in Conference Quarterfinals
PHX 2010–11 82 43 26 13 99 3rd in Pacific 0 4 Lost in Conference Quarterfinals
PHX 2011–12 82 42 27 13 97 1st in Pacific 9 7 Lost in Conference Finals
PHX 2012–13 48 21 18 9 51 4th in Pacific - - Missed playoffs
PHX 2013–14 82 37 30 15 89 4th in Pacific - - Missed playoffs
ARI 2014–15 82 24 50 8 56 7th in Pacific - - Missed playoffs
ARI 2015–16 82 35 39 8 78 4th in Pacific - - Missed playoffs
ARI 2016–17 82 30 42 10 70 6th in Pacific - - Missed playoffs
Total 1,114 553 413 28 120 3 division titles 33 41

Don't take it wrong, because I'd love to just see the playoffs again. Five 1st rd exits and 6yrs missed playoffs (11 out of 14yrs) sounds like just what the Doctor ordered.

1 minute ago, French Collection said:

Those Coyotes teams were pretty bad though.

He must have been doing something right because his gigs lasted 6 years in Dallas and 8 years in Phoenix. When you get a lousy coach they usually get terminated in a few years.

I'm not saying that he is a bad coach or should not be considered for the Sabres.....just trying to down play the hype that there may not be better options.

As far as Coyotes go....that team was a mess with ownership and the threat of moving the team. Maybe no others wanted the job and they kept him as long as they could.

I was mainly agreeing with the statement that we need a coach that can instill a whole lot of discipline. Our young team needs a heavy hand I believe. Some on the team seem to have a sense of entitlement. I'm not saying he's the right coach or not but I liked what Doan said.

Couple of older articles surfaced on Tippett.

https://nhltoseattle.com/2018/06/19/dave-tippett-hired-to-set-up-nhl-seattles-foundation/

"Tippett mentions a software system, called XOS, that he utilizes that allows him, or any coach, to watch every NHL game and break down individual players shifts, faceoffs, and shots. It’s all part of the evolution of hockey.

In that same vein, hockey has seen a growth in analytics over recent years. NHL teams have hired staff to look an underlying ‘advanced statistics’ to help evaluate players. Puck possession numbers like Corsi and Fenwick have become fashionable, and caused quite a debate, in the hockey world.

Tippett is on board with looking at other metrics to a degree. He likes some of it but is skeptical of others.

“It’s a useful tool,” he said. “I’ve done my own analytics program since I started coaching. I had a whole system that I’ve built through that XOS. Some numbers like Fenwick and Corsi, they’re garbage. They’re garbage because they come off the stats upstairs. Every stat that I keep comes off a video that I watch, a scoring chance that I’ve watched and whose involved in it.”"

http://arizonasports.com/story/438255/busting-some-myths-about-coyotes-coach-dave-tippett/amp/

"“I think it got going when I came here because we had young players who weren’t ready to play in the league but they had played in the league already,” Tippett said, referring to such players as Kyle Turris, Peter Mueller and Mikkel Boedker, who were infamously rushed to the NHL by the previous regime. “Everybody tells me ‘you don’t like young players.’ Well, at that time, we were trying to save a franchise and make it competitive again. What was happening in the past wasn’t working.”

Within three seasons, Tippett took a veteran-laden team to the Western Conference Final and energized the local hockey community like never before. That team relied on a strong blue line and the goaltending of Mike Smith, so let’s start with that first myth about Tippett: that he is a defensive-minded coach who struggles with offensive players.

“I think that’s a horse(expletive) rumor,” said Hall of Fame center Mike Modano, who played for Tippett in Dallas from 2002-2009. “Being around him for so long and hearing his philosophy on the game and how it’s played, I can tell you he loves nothing more than a skilled player. Like any coach, he just wants his skilled players to have a little bit of responsibility and roundness to their game, rather than being one-dimensional.”

"Playing Tippett’s style doesn’t mean forfeiting offensive creativity. On the contrary, Domi said Tippett encourages certain players to freelance at the offensive end because those players are the ones counted on to produce the most.

“We’ve had that exact conversation,” Domi said. “He’s said, ‘listen, there are times that you’re going to have to chip the puck in and push the game along a little bit and there are times when I want you to make the play. Obviously, you’re not going to make a successful play every time. You’re going to turn pucks over and I understand that but as you grow as a player you’re going to have to learn when the time is to do that.

“That’s the biggest thing for me, that sense of comfort and trust he has in me and that understanding that that’s what my game is. At the same time, he’s trying to teach me when I shouldn’t be doing those things so it’s been a great relationship.”

Domi’s conversations with his coach highlight one of Tippett’s greatest strengths: his ability to communicate with and relate to a wide variety of personalities.

“He’s one of the more personable coaches I’ve ever had,” 23-year-old forward Jordan Martinook said. “He’s so easy to talk to and the great thing about Tip is it’s not always just about hockey. He genuinely wants to get to know you and what you’re all about. One of the main things for me is building a good relationship with my coach and I definitely have that with him.”"

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/golden-knights-nhl/coyotes-future-doesnt-include-coach-dave-tippett/

"It was eight tough years as coach for Tippett. The external issues with management, arena talk, losing Don Maloney as his general manager a year ago and working with Chayka, who is big on analytics. Plus, a team that lost its heart and soul and popular goalie when Smith was dealt June 17 to Calgary.

Tippett was 282-257-83 with the Coyotes. He should have no problem finding a job."

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, sabresouth said:

I was mainly agreeing with the statement that we need a coach that can instill a whole lot of discipline. Our young team needs a heavy hand I believe. Some on the team seem to have a sense of entitlement. I'm not saying he's the right coach or not but I liked what Doan said.

You're fine and I agree. But who's to say that Gronberg or anyone else for that matter wouldn't be able to do the same? I know some coaches are known for a certain style, but some are also adaptable and know how to deal with certain situations and players as individuals. Lindy was tough on the players and that didn't always work either. Adaptable may be the trait to look for. But that would likely be found during an interview process than looking at stats and styles.

Unfortunately none of us ( myself included) truly know what coach we need, we're not privy to the room. All we have are our opinions and ideas. Which then leave us trusting the leadership to make the right call. Hope they make the right one. Tired of loosing.

• Like (+1) 1

From WGR this AM, Howard Simon got a text message from Dreger that said Interviews will be taking place in Europe with Candidates.

Also per White all Housley’s Asst. Coaches with the exception of Steve Smith were told it’s okay to look for other positions. 

• Like (+1) 1

While we're at it can we please get a new goalie coach 

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

From WGR this AM, Howard Simon got a text message from Dreger that said Interviews will be taking place in Europe with Candidates.

Also per White all Housley’s Asst. Coaches with the exception of Steve Smith were told it’s okay to look for other positions. 

Any idea when that is in Europe?

"“I think it got going when I came here because we had young players who weren’t ready to play in the league but they had played in the league already,” Tippett said, referring to such players as Kyle Turris, Peter Mueller and Mikkel Boedker, who were infamously rushed to the NHL by the previous regime.

This mindest would be a breath of fresh air.

2 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Tippett is on board with looking at other metrics to a degree. He likes some of it but is skeptical of others.

“It’s a useful tool,” he said. “I’ve done my own analytics program since I started coaching. I had a whole system that I’ve built through that XOS. Some numbers like Fenwick and Corsi, they’re garbage. They’re garbage because they come off the stats upstairs. Every stat that I keep comes off a video that I watch, a scoring chance that I’ve watched and whose involved in it.”"

Welp, I'm on board with Tippett. Hard. That's almost word for word what I've always said about analytics.

Also, whose=who's. Was this story from the Athletic?

3 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Couple of older articles surfaced on Tippett.

https://nhltoseattle.com/2018/06/19/dave-tippett-hired-to-set-up-nhl-seattles-foundation/

"Tippett mentions a software system, called XOS, that he utilizes that allows him, or any coach, to watch every NHL game and break down individual players shifts, faceoffs, and shots. It’s all part of the evolution of hockey.

In that same vein, hockey has seen a growth in analytics over recent years. NHL teams have hired staff to look an underlying ‘advanced statistics’ to help evaluate players. Puck possession numbers like Corsi and Fenwick have become fashionable, and caused quite a debate, in the hockey world.

http://arizonasports.com/story/438255/busting-some-myths-about-coyotes-coach-dave-tippett/amp/

"“I think it got going when I came here because we had young players who weren’t ready to play in the league but they had played in the league already,” Tippett said, referring to such players as Kyle Turris, Peter Mueller and Mikkel Boedker, who were infamously rushed to the NHL by the previous regime. “Everybody tells me ‘you don’t like young players.’ Well, at that time, we were trying to save a franchise and make it competitive again. What was happening in the past wasn’t working.”

Within three seasons, Tippett took a veteran-laden team to the Western Conference Final and energized the local hockey community like never before. That team relied on a strong blue line and the goaltending of Mike Smith, so let’s start with that first myth about Tippett: that he is a defensive-minded coach who struggles with offensive players.

“I think that’s a horse(expletive) rumor,” said Hall of Fame center Mike Modano, who played for Tippett in Dallas from 2002-2009. “Being around him for so long and hearing his philosophy on the game and how it’s played, I can tell you he loves nothing more than a skilled player. Like any coach, he just wants his skilled players to have a little bit of responsibility and roundness to their game, rather than being one-dimensional.”

"Playing Tippett’s style doesn’t mean forfeiting offensive creativity. On the contrary, Domi said Tippett encourages certain players to freelance at the offensive end because those players are the ones counted on to produce the most.

“We’ve had that exact conversation,” Domi said. “He’s said, ‘listen, there are times that you’re going to have to chip the puck in and push the game along a little bit and there are times when I want you to make the play. Obviously, you’re not going to make a successful play every time. You’re going to turn pucks over and I understand that but as you grow as a player you’re going to have to learn when the time is to do that.

“That’s the biggest thing for me, that sense of comfort and trust he has in me and that understanding that that’s what my game is. At the same time, he’s trying to teach me when I shouldn’t be doing those things so it’s been a great relationship.”

Domi’s conversations with his coach highlight one of Tippett’s greatest strengths: his ability to communicate with and relate to a wide variety of personalities.

“He’s one of the more personable coaches I’ve ever had,” 23-year-old forward Jordan Martinook said. “He’s so easy to talk to and the great thing about Tip is it’s not always just about hockey. He genuinely wants to get to know you and what you’re all about. One of the main things for me is building a good relationship with my coach and I definitely have that with him.”"

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/golden-knights-nhl/coyotes-future-doesnt-include-coach-dave-tippett/

"It was eight tough years as coach for Tippett. The external issues with management, arena talk, losing Don Maloney as his general manager a year ago and working with Chayka, who is big on analytics. Plus, a team that lost its heart and soul and popular goalie when Smith was dealt June 17 to Calgary.

Tippett was 282-257-83 with the Coyotes. He should have no problem finding a job."

Was also was in attendance at the Seattle Hockey Analytics Conference as well. 

37 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Worlds are May 10th- May 26th....I would imagine sometime in that time frame.

Trip to Europe for an interview? I guess JBots has time to hold these. Pegula can afford the fare.

Gronberg is an obvious one to do there. Non HCs in Europe for the WC are Ruff, Muller, Hakstol for Canada and Bylsma for USA. NO to these guys.

Sounds like Tippett has already interviewed.

Some candidates are still in playoffs (NHL or AHL).