NEXT COACH should be? mega thread ...

Zamboni

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Does anyone have any specifics on what Keefe’s involvement/regrettable conduct was?   I clicked on 2 of the links up thread and didn’t see anything. (I’m not a big fan of Gare Joyce’s work, by the way, and his piece did nothing to improve my opinion of it.)

if you’ve got something informative, pls post a link.  

Thank you. Or just come out and say it in simple, declarative, factual sentences. I feel like everyone's dancing around the subject. I also clicked the links and felt like I was watching a movie where everything's going to be revealed in the final scene.

What did he do that makes him unsuitable to be an NHL coach in 2019 (after coaching in the AHL)?

• Like (+1) 2

23 hours ago, kas23 said:

After reading this, I think I’ll pass on Keefe  

That is one heck of a story.  Those were 14-18 year olds and I don’t want to hold it against kids when they were obviously being manipulated by a troubled adult.  More than anything it made me think, where were these kids’ parents???

7 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Does anyone have any specifics on what Keefe’s involvement/regrettable conduct was?   I clicked on 2 of the links up thread and didn’t see anything. (I’m not a big fan of Gare Joyce’s work, by the way, and his piece did nothing to improve my opinion of it.)

if you’ve got something informative, pls post a link.  

He refused to shake the hand of the league commissioner after winning the OHL title, was the "big" thing, in the articles I read. 

"When they did win that OHL title, Keefe famously refused to shake the hand of league commissioner David Branch.

“This must burn your ass,” he sneered at Branch. It’s one of many things from that time he regrets.

“I’ve had the great fortune to shake David Branch’s hand a number of times since I’ve been back in OHL, something I’m very grateful for,” says Keefe. “If we were able to win the OHL again, I’d be certain go out of my way to shake his hand.”"

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2015/03/27/sheldon-keefe-builds-second-career-out-of-second-chance.html

---

Apparently none of the higher ups wanted him coaching in the OHL when he first went there. 

Edited by Thorny

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

He refused to shake the hand of the league commissioner after winning the OHL title, was the "big" thing, in the articles I read. 

"When they did win that OHL title, Keefe famously refused to shake the hand of league commissioner David Branch.

“This must burn your ass,” he sneered at Branch. It’s one of many things from that time he regrets.

“I’ve had the great fortune to shake David Branch’s hand a number of times since I’ve been back in OHL, something I’m very grateful for,” says Keefe. “If we were able to win the OHL again, I’d be certain go out of my way to shake his hand.”"

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2015/03/27/sheldon-keefe-builds-second-career-out-of-second-chance.html

---

Apparently none of the higher ups wanted him coaching in the OHL when he first went there. 

Thanks @Thorny.  Unfortunately that article, in a major failing, didn’t say why he refused to shake the commissioner’s hand.  And we still have zero information about any involvement with Frost’s misdeeds, despite multiple vague allusions upthread.  

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

Thanks @Thorny.  Unfortunately that article, in a major failing, didn’t say why he refused to shake the commissioner’s hand.  And we still have zero information about any involvement with Frost’s misdeeds, despite multiple vague allusions upthread.  

It is Damien Cox, after all. 

10 hours ago, Thorny said:

---

Meanwhile 99% of the Sabres' fanbase wants Jack to skull-thump Bettman with the Cup when that glorious moment arrives.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I saw links about the Leafs being ready to extend Keefe's contract in March. Why did that fall through?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-working-new-contract-marlies-coach-sheldon-keefe/

Because buffalo is in the mix for him, even read somewhere a leafs poster in hf mentioning it somewhere.     

9 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I saw links about the Leafs being ready to extend Keefe's contract in March. Why did that fall through?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-working-new-contract-marlies-coach-sheldon-keefe/

I don’t think it did. As mentioned his new deal has an out for a NHL Job. The question becomes can Dubas block certain teams from interviews? 

Dreger mentioned there will be a short window after The Marlies complete their playoff run to interview Keefe. 

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I don’t think it did. As mentioned his new deal has an out for a NHL Job. The question becomes can Dubas block certain teams from interviews? 

Dreger mentioned there will be a short window after The Marlies complete their playoff run to interview Keefe. 

Ah. Thanks. So he did sign a new deal? Nothing comes up in a 10-second google effort.

5 hours ago, shrader said:

Bowness and Martin?  That's the first 12 years of their head coaching history.

Almost positive the owner is on record as saying they're looking to start getting good again after the lockout.

One of those 2 as a hire would help ensure they have some more highly rated young talent showing up next off season to help with that cause.

42 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Seven? 

I consider Lebrun connected, and this to be one of the few pieces of real reporting we’ve heard on this.

McLellan we know talked to us, although it’s not clear if that was a formal interview. Tippett, Krueger, Martin had interviews according to reputable sources. The others...?

"Confirmed" five:

Todd McLellan, per Bob McKenzie

Dave Tippett, per Elliotte Friedman

Ralph Krueger, per Eliiotte Friedman

Jacques Martin, per John Shannon

Nate Leaman, per Bruce Garrioch

Unconfirmed:

Sheldon Keefe?

Chris Taylor?

Alain Vigneault?

Joel Quennville?

"Confirmed" to not have interviewed:

(not Rikard Gronborg, per John Vogl)

(not Todd Richards, per John Shannon)

Wherein "confirmed" means they were "in talks" or "interviewed," not just a "candidate" or "being considered."

Reminder that Housley was hired on June 16th, so we could be in for another month of this.

Edited by IKnowPhysics
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

If I were to speculate on how the Sabres (not I) were to rank candidates currently, based on qualifications and priority of interviewing, etc, it seems to be something like this:

1. Joel Quennville - locked down by buddy Dale Tallon early.
  2. Dave Tippett - seems as if the job is his, if he wants it.  Has been talking to Edmonton.  Future with Seattle beyond advisory role is unclear.  Experienced.  Success at coaching NHL teams, notably sparking the Coyotes into the playoffs for a few years before their organizational meltdown.
  3. Todd McClellan - Very experienced, held Sharks at high level of regular season success for years.  One of Sabres' first interviews, but no offer was made.  Signed a deal with LA that was long rumored before season's end.
  4. Ralph Krueger - is rumored to have recently replaced Jacques Martin at #2 among available.  Interviewed well according to sources.  Success in European leagues, good communicator, good manager.  Reportedly fired by MacTavish in Edmonton via Skype, which was not well-received by hockey community.  Krueger grew up in Winnipeg and played for Cal Botterill, Jason's dad, in grade school.
  5. Alaign Vignegaulgt - unknown if Sabres interviewed.  Very experienced.  Signed with Flyers soon after Quennville and McLellan were signed.
  6. Jacques Martin - Very experienced.  Got permission from Penguins to interview after Vigneault signed with Flyers.  Krueger brought in after Martin.
  7. Sheldon Keefe - up and coming AHL champion coach, but no indication Sabres have asked permission to interview him yet (or perhaps Keefe/Toronto have already quietly declined?).
  8. Nate Leaman - coach of NCAA champion Providence College.  No NHL coaching experience, but success developing college players for NHL.  Interviewed early, with no publicly apparent follow up.  FWIW, Ron Rolston is the Associate Head Coach at Providence.
  9. Chris Taylor - Americans coach and longtime friend of Jason Botterill.
  10. Rikard Gronborg - Successful European coach that the media spun up as a potential outside-the-box candidate.  Not interviewed.  Signed in Switzerland.
  11. Todd Richards - assistant coach of TBL.  Not interviewed and/or no permission requested/given.

It's hard to nail down where McLellan really falls, perhaps #1, perhaps #5, but it's immaterial now.

Other new candidates might slide in around the 6/7/8 spot- I think Sabres only strongly consider other candidates if both Tippett and Krueger are out (for whatever reasons).  And I think other candidates might bump Leaman and Taylor downwards, based on how long ago they interviewed and would have been selected before bringing more candidates.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Sheldon Keefe - up and coming AHL champion coach, but no indication Sabres have asked permission to interview him yet (or perhaps Keefe/Toronto have already quietly declined?).

Just a note on a Keefe:  Buffalo would not ask permission to interview him while he was still working with his team in the playoffs.  Once the Marlies’ season is over, then we may (or may not) hear something about Keefe.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Curtisp5286 said:

Just a note on a Keefe:  Buffalo would not ask permission to interview him while he was still working with his team in the playoffs.  Once the Marlies’ season is over, then we may (or may not) hear something about Keefe.

Fair, correct, and agreed.  Marlies are now in the semifinals or whatever the 3rd (of 4) round is called in the AHL.  A seven game series would go through May 28th.  The finals, if seven games, could last until something like June 9th.  I think if the Sabres don't hire by like May 30th and the Marlies go to the finals, it'll be clear that we're waiting to interview Keefe.  I still think Tippett is given priority over Keefe and could be hired before the Marlies finish.  I think Krueger, after interviewing "well," is also currently higher on the Sabres' list than Keefe, but isn't in as much demand, and Botterill might wait to talk to Keefe before deciding between them.

• Like (+1) 1