NEXT COACH should be? mega thread ...

Zamboni

7 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

To be honest....I wonder if Botts sees him as a threat to his own job. He has coached, scouted and seems to have control over the Swede team. He has the Masters in management and leadership. 

This is bananaland 

13 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

To be honest....I wonder if Botts sees him as a threat to his own job. He has coached, scouted and seems to have control over the Swede team. He has the Masters in management and leadership. 

Or someone looks at the fact he has not been behind a bench for a full season in 14 years. Botterill is the biggest threat to his own job if he screws this up. 

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

And the fact that he hasn't taken it yet makes me think he doesn't want it

Or that they are waiting until the Worlds are over so Botterill can be here for the presser. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Or someone looks at the fact he has not been behind a bench for a full season in 14 years. Botterill is the biggest threat to his own job if he screws this up. 

Or that they are waiting until the Worlds are over so Botterill can be here for the presser. 

And still he goes with Phil. H, i rest my case. 

This team needs fire, this team need alpha, this team needs a ***** dad.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I think he needs to find a spot where he can be an assistant for a couple years in the NHL before the NHL will give him a shot. 

That's why I was speculating he might be brought in as an associate HC or something, with a grizzled vet like Ruff or Martin or Hitch or Tippett as HC, with the grizzled vet HC on a limited term.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

If the rumor mill is to be believed Phil was decided on by ownership before Botterill was.

Housley sucked as a HC, but he did lead the list of possible NHL head coaching candidates when he was hired in 2017.

Gronberg is more desirable than most of these candidates, but his path to a NHL HC probably requires him to be an Asst or AHL HC.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

It needs a leader and Tippett is one.

Martin is not.

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

If the rumor mill is to be believed Phil was decided on by ownership before Botterill was.

Housley sucked as a HC, but he did lead the list of possible NHL head coaching candidates when he was hired in 2017.

Gronberg is more desirable than most of these candidates, but his path to a NHL HC probably requires him to be an Asst or AHL HC.

I hesitate, but agree. That is the likely path he will have to take. I just hope he ends up here because I have a strong feeling he will be successful in the NHL.

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Does ^^^ mean Tippett is the guy?

The fact that we are crossing potential candidates off the list seems to suggest they are narrowing in on a choice. The more I think about it, the more Tippett seems to be the coach that best fits Botterill’s criteria.

(PS: not a fan of Shannon’s credibility level, and that was before he said he expected O’Reilly to return a 2nd rounder)

...value-wise it's not far from what we ended up with. 

Anyway, Tippett continues to be wholly unexciting to me. 

13 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

...value-wise it's not far from what we ended up with. 

Anyway, Tippett continues to be wholly unexciting to me. 

6 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Apparently he's just Hitchcock jr. Am I right in that?

Botterill will need to get rid of every veteran that cannot play first 

On Gronborg

Gronborg in a text: “The main reason that I signed with ZSC, besides being the top job in Europe, is that no NHL team wanted a coach with no prior NHL head coaching experience. … My goal is to coach in the NHL sometime in the future. Just need to get a chance.”

24 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Apparently he's just Hitchcock jr. Am I right in that?

15 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Botterill will need to get rid of every veteran that cannot play first 

I can definitely see the parallels. I understand why Botterill would prefer someone with NHL head coaching experience, I just hope he isn't being blinded by that preference. 

41 minutes ago, millbank said:

On Gronborg

Gronborg in a text: “The main reason that I signed with ZSC, besides being the top job in Europe, is that no NHL team wanted a coach with no prior NHL head coaching experience. … My goal is to coach in the NHL sometime in the future. Just need to get a chance.”

It’s interesting that he believes his best opportunity to get a chance is to continue to coach in Europe rather than take an assistant job in the States. Maybe he believes those feelings will shift down the road or that his success will quell any doubts. 

5 minutes ago, #freejame said:

It’s interesting that he believes his best opportunity to get a chance is to continue to coach in Europe rather than take an assistant job in the States. Maybe he believes those feelings will shift down the road or that his success will quell any doubts. 

He has signed with Swiss League for two years . The contract has no out clause.  Certainly there have been a number of first time hires, this year perhaps it’s just current jobs open and their biases. Disappointed he was not given a shot . Sheldon Keefe would be great in my opinion but don’t think they had a shot at him. Not looking forward to a retread Coach . 

6 minutes ago, millbank said:

He has signed with Swiss League for two years . The contract has no out clause.  Certainly there have been a number of first time hires, this year perhaps it’s just current jobs open and their biases. Disappointed he was not given a shot . Sheldon Keefe would be great in my opinion but don’t think they had a shot at him. Not looking forward to a retread Coach . 

Two years....isn't that how long a Sabres coach lasts nowadays? Hmmm

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Two years....isn't that how long a Sabres coach lasts nowadays? Hmmm

If you take it as fact and they wanting experienced NH L  coaches . Why the waiting game unless others prefer elsewhere. There are a number of college coaches who would be excellent and as would have been Gronborg or Keefe. Just don’t see the safe old boys network way to go. Keefe would be great for instance . Guy has been successful everywhere and has some teeth. As Jr. player when receiving league championship trophy said to commissioner Branch “ This must really burn your ass”’ At memorial Cup dinner team walked out threatening to punch out the other team. As Coach has progressed and matured last number of years not a misstep . But there is passion 

4 minutes ago, millbank said:

If you take it as fact and they wanting experienced NH L  coaches . Why the waiting game unless others prefer elsewhere. There are a number of college coaches who would be excellent and as would have been Gronborg or Keefe. Just don’t see the safe old boys network way to go. Keefe would be great for instance . Guy has been successful everywhere and has some teeth. As Jr. player when receiving league championship trophy said to commissioner Branch “ This must really burn your ass”’ At memorial Cup dinner team walked out threatening to punch out the other team. As Coach has progressed and matured last number of years not a misstep . But there is passion 

Not real sure this is correct but info is cloudy at best. You could be right, though you might want to look deeper.

17 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Not real sure this is correct but info is cloudy at best. You could be right, though you might want to look deeper.

There was a time he was involved with a unethically disposed player agent named Frost. Much of Keefe s career was shaded with that as player and as Coach . Current Leaf GM while Gm in took a chance on him iwith Sault St Marie and then with Leafs. His past is well documented . Both success and controversy 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/magazine/a-chance-at-redemption-sheldon-keefe/sn-amp/ This worthwhile as some background 

Edited by millbank

3 hours ago, millbank said:

There was a time he was involved with a unethically disposed player agent named Frost. Much of Keefe s career was shaded with that as player and as Coach . Current Leaf GM while Gm in took a chance on him iwith Sault St Marie and then with Leafs. His past is well documented . Both success and controversy 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/magazine/a-chance-at-redemption-sheldon-keefe/sn-amp/ This worthwhile as some background 

After reading this, I think I’ll pass on Keefe  

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

Glad you're not making the decision

Com’mon! A teenage hockey player got manipulated by an overzealous adult and you don’t think he’s obviously a bad decision because of it? Glad you’re not the one making decisions!

• Haha (+1) 1