NEXT COACH should be? mega thread ...

Zamboni

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Well, it seems pretty likely that MacL turned them down in favor of LA.

It was reported by McKenzie that those discussions never resulted in an offer.

I think it is pretty likely that McLellan was well on his way to becoming LA’s coach before Housley was fired, but agreed to talk to the Sabres in order to do his due diligence (and strengthen his bargaining power with LA).

It is just as likely that Sabres didn’t see a reason to try to change his mind.

Does ^^^ mean Tippett is the guy?

The fact that we are crossing potential candidates off the list seems to suggest they are narrowing in on a choice. The more I think about it, the more Tippett seems to be the coach that best fits Botterill’s criteria.

(PS: not a fan of Shannon’s credibility level, and that was before he said he expected O’Reilly to return a 2nd rounder)

11 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Per Jeremy White’s Source the Job is Tippet’s if he wants it 

Actually Jeremy had an idea that isn't outrageous. If you can't get a guy you really want why not give Chris Taylor the job on an interim basis with raise and take more time to see who may later become available. If Taylor does well great give him the job. This allows you to get someone you want as opposed to settling for say a Martin just because he's available.

5 minutes ago, Radar said:

Actually Jeremy had an idea that isn't outrageous. If you can't get a guy you really want why not give Chris Taylor the job on an interim basis with raise and take more time to see who may later become available. If Taylor does well great give him the job. This allows you to get someone you want as opposed to settling for say a Martin just because he's available.

I don't hate this idea.  I don't want them to hire Taylor full time, but this isn't bad.  If the planets align, the Preds go 2-12 to start the year and fire Laviolette, for example...

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Radar said:

I'd rather be the first team to go into a season without a coaching staff than go into the season with Chris Taylor as the bench boss. There are only 31 NHL head coaching jobs in the NHL. If the best they can do is promote a guy who has been a disappointment at a lower level we might as well sleep through next season and start talking about who to draft with our top 4 guaranteed pick.

4 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

So what is you guys opinion on not going with Rickard Gronberg ? way to much outside the american box?

It's just a big gamble I don't think we can afford right now. I very much think he will be successful on his 2nd/3rd NHL Head Coaching job, but it's hard/rare enough for first time NHL coaches to succeed that are already in the NHL system, let alone one that is not; I didn't want us being the team to do the grunt work and break him in honestly 

37 minutes ago, Radar said:

An interim coach to start the season?  If I'm a free agent and I see that, I'm immediately crossing that team off the list.  It screams "team with no direction".  Now, the team might not make it so obvious by actually using that title, but I'd imagine that it would be very obvious if they were taking that approach.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, shrader said:

An interim coach to start the season?  If I'm a free agent and I see that, I'm immediately crossing that team off the list.  It screams "team with no direction".  Now, the team might not make it so obvious by actually using that title, but I'd imagine that it would be very obvious if they were taking that approach.

Not that free agency was a big thing back then, but the team once waited until late July to hire a coach.

35 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

So what is you guys opinion on not going with Rickard Gronberg ? way to much outside the american box?

I think he needs to find a spot where he can be an assistant for a couple years in the NHL before the NHL will give him a shot. 

40 minutes ago, WildCard said:

And the fact that he hasn't taken it yet makes me think he doesn't want it

I think his family lives in Seattle.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

I think he needs to find a spot where he can be an assistant for a couple years in the NHL before the NHL will give him a shot. 

Agree with this.

He has appeal to me, but it’s a big hole in his resume.

45 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

To be honest....I wonder if Botts sees him as a threat to his own job. He has coached, scouted and seems to have control over the Swede team. He has the Masters in management and leadership. 

2 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

To be honest....I wonder if Botts sees him as a threat to his own job. He has coached, scouted and seems to have control over the Swede team. He has the Masters in management and leadership. 

Finally someone that is thinking outside the box. I like it

• Like (+1) 1