NEXT COACH should be? mega thread ...

Zamboni

1 hour ago, SDS said:

Nature abhors a vacuum and that’s all this is. There is literally nothing coming from the organization, so people just stare at the ink blots and pontificate. Which... whatever. It’s when those pontifications get built in to straw men...

But it's also human nature to wonder when candidates we were allegedly considering sign elsewhere. A month from now will we be hearing Botterill name Chris Taylor after an "exhaustive search?"

35 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

But it's also human nature to wonder when candidates we were allegedly considering sign elsewhere. A month from now will we be hearing Botterill name Chris Taylor after an "exhaustive search?"

Keep in mind candidates "allegedly"(key word there) sign elsewhere. McClellan. Who else?

Seriously, who do we KNOW the Sabres interviewed?

Just McLellan? That was straight from the horse’s mouth and confirmed by Botterill.

We have been told Martin and Tippett by reasonably reputable sources. 

Anyone else who hasn’t been pure speculation like Keefe and Grönborg are?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

So far I have 0 faith in the current regime.  JBot fielded two super losers and a fraudulent Amerks team that got exposed two years in a row in the playoffs.  The Sabres NHL prospects aren't exactly jumping off the roster either. Meanwhile while we watch St Louis garbage that they gave us again next year, O Reilly is leading his team into the Semi's.  Get ready for 3 more 80 point seasons fellas.  Just being real.

Edited by Gatorman0519
  • Thanks (+1) 2

https://www.diebytheblade.com/platform/amp/2019/4/26/18517116/nate-leaman-is-the-next-coach-connected-to-the-buffalo-sabres-providence-ncaa

A name they likely considering for Coach is Nate Leaman. It’s said they were interested before hiring of previous coach and many see him as the top rated College  Coach. Keefe can’t see . He highest paid AHL Coach currently and with Leafs Cap problems coming season projects a tread water or step back season , it would be no surprise Keefe the Coach in waiting . Dubas hired him as  Jr Coach and with Marlies and has always had his back. Can’t see Keefe spurning him . It would not be a surprise he will elevated to assistant Coach with Leafs and who knows how Babcock would react to that . Perhaps there just may be talk of talk to hein Edmonton   or elsewhere yet 

Edited by millbank

1 hour ago, Gatorman0519 said:

So far I have 0 faith in the current regime.  JBot fielded two super losers and a fraudulent Amerks team that got exposed two years in a row in the playoffs.  The Sabres NHL prospects aren't exactly jumping off the roster either. Meanwhile while we watch St Louis garbage that they gave us again next year, O Reilly is leading his team into the Semi's.  Get ready for 3 more 80 point seasons fellas.  Just being real.

Let's not exaggerate.....ROR is 3rd on his team and 30th in NHL as far as playoff scoring. His biggest asset (face-offs), is at 47.8%....not exactly near his usual 60%.

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Let's not exaggerate.....ROR is 3rd on his team and 30th in NHL as far as playoff scoring. His biggest asset (face-offs), is at 47.8%....not exactly near his usual 60%.

it's probably an exaggeration, but ROR is playing very well and is helping his team advance. He will likely jump up in scoring as he will play more games than many of those ahead of him.  And he's actually tied for 6th in playoff scoring, but lots of players are tied for 1st -6th.

Edited by klos1963
  • Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

it's probably an exaggeration, but ROR is playing very well and is helping his team advance. He will likely jump up in scoring as he will play more games than many of those ahead of him.  And he's actually tied for 6th in playoff scoring, but lots of players are tied for 1st -6th.

1 hour ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

He is not tied for 6th, or 30th for that matter.  There are 21 players who have scored more points in the playoffs.  He is tied for 22nd.

1 hour ago, klos1963 said:

He's listed as #30 on the NHL stats page and that's what I go by. 14 players ahead of him have played less games and 15 are no longer in the playoffs. Yes he will likely climb above some and yes he is a good player, but let's not make him out to be the next "face of the NHL". And he is 3rd on his own team, so he is not "leading" his team to the promise land.

3 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

This needs a caveat. Did anyone predict that a goaltender who played 30 regular season games and had a Save % of .896 and GAA of 3.07 to post a .949 Save % and 1.50 GAA in 7 playoff starts.

Even Keefe admitted that the Amerks outplayed the Marlies.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Curtisp5286 said:

He is not tied for 6th, or 30th for that matter.  There are 21 players who have scored more points in the playoffs.  He is tied for 22nd.

He has the 6th most points in the playoffs, that's what I was trying to point out.  Poor explaining on my part.

1 hour ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

He's listed as #30 on the NHL stats page and that's what I go by. 14 players ahead of him have played less games and 15 are no longer in the playoffs. Yes he will likely climb above some and yes he is a good player, but let's not make him out to be the next "face of the NHL". And he is 3rd on his own team, so he is not "leading" his team to the promise land.

Not making him out to be the 'face of the NHL',  not sure that anyone else is either.  He's an excellent player, he plays at critical moments during the games. He's very valuable to their team.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, klos1963 said:

He has the 6th most points in the playoffs, that's what I was trying to point out.  Poor explaining on my part.

He doesn’t have the 6th most points in the playoffs though.  It’s incredibly misleading and inaccurate to say so.  He, at best, has the 22nd most points in the playoffs.

18 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Isn't this the Sabres coach thread?  Why are we talking about the Marlies goalie and ROR's playoff points? 

Dudes.  Seriously.  Take it elsewhere.

In their defense, it is pretty difficult to tell what thread you’re in on mobile now. 

Everyone needs to calm down a little.  I fully believe the Sabres are the ones taking their time because they HAVE to get this right.  It's been reported that Gronberg (sp?) never even got an interview with the team and he came out and said he wants to coach in the NHL.  Just because a name is out there doesn't mean they've turned the Sabres down.  In fact, it's very likely that the Sabres are the ones turning down candidates. 

Are the Marlies not still in the AHL playoffs?  Even if Keefe is someone the Sabres want to interview they likely can't even have discussions until their season is over.  Even if it's 'allowed' I'm pretty sure it's standard practice to wait until the season is over.  Similarly in the NFL the top assistants/candidates wait until their team is finished or the bye week before the Superbowl before they're even allowed to interview.  Maybe he's the guy and the Sabres have to wait (similar to what happened with Housley).

So let's all take a small step back here and appreciate the fact that just because there is no hire yet does not equal them being turned down by all the top candidates and we are going to hire Chris Taylor.  Chris Taylor is yet another name fans/media are speculating but the Sabres have not mentioned once.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Derrico said:

Everyone needs to calm down a little.  I fully believe the Sabres are the ones taking their time because they HAVE to get this right.  It's been reported that Gronberg (sp?) never even got an interview with the team and he came out and said he wants to coach in the NHL.  Just because a name is out there doesn't mean they've turned the Sabres down.  In fact, it's very likely that the Sabres are the ones turning down candidates. 

Are the Marlies not still in the AHL playoffs?  Even if Keefe is someone the Sabres want to interview they likely can't even have discussions until their season is over.  Even if it's 'allowed' I'm pretty sure it's standard practice to wait until the season is over.  Similarly in the NFL the top assistants/candidates wait until their team is finished or the bye week before the Superbowl before they're even allowed to interview.  Maybe he's the guy and the Sabres have to wait (similar to what happened with Housley).

So let's all take a small step back here and appreciate the fact that just because there is no hire yet does not equal them being turned down by all the top candidates and we are going to hire Chris Taylor.  Chris Taylor is yet another name fans/media are speculating but the Sabres have not mentioned once.

It's almost like it is May 10th and having a coach right now doesn't matter. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It's almost like it is May 10th and having a coach right now doesn't matter. 

This.  

We haven't missed out on anyone. I don't see what the rush is other than it's the off-season and we are bored.   Realistically, what is the drawback for Botts to see who is available after the season is over? 

2 hours ago, Curtisp5286 said:

He doesn’t have the 6th most points in the playoffs though.  It’s incredibly misleading and inaccurate to say so.  He, at best, has the 22nd most points in the playoffs.

before last night, players had 14, 13, 12, 11 , 10 points, ROR has 9 points.

4 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

before last night, players had 14, 13, 12, 11 , 10 points, ROR has 9 points.

Those are probably players left in the playoffs. ROR currently sits in a huge tie for 23rd in overall playoff scoring. Granted this also is from this morning so last nights game is in there.

playoffscoring19.thumb.PNG.cc11bfcb2ae3843cef95048df7208f1e.PNG

The bottom line reality is we are losers from the top down.  I’m not going to sugarcoat it.  There is a poster who said earlier, the fan base accepts much less.  My bottom line is a Cup... everything else is a waste.  Build towards that.  I see Little  evidence they are and the record and stats speak for themselves.  I’ve been waiting since my childhood in the 70’s. 

Edited by Gatorman0519
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

The bottom line reality is we are losers from the top down.  I’m not going to sugarcoat it.  There is a poster who said earlier, the fan base accepts much less.  My bottom line is a Cup... everything else is a waste.  Build towards that.  I see Little  evidence they are and the record and stats speak for themselves.  I’ve been waiting since my childhood in the 70’s. 

Everything else is a waste?  So, you're a fan of a cup only. If you work for someone if you're not the CEO your career is a waste? I do understand your frustration but if it's just the cup then why watch the season when you could just wait until the last game of playoffs and tune to see who wins the cup. I've been a fan since this teams inception and I'm frustrated more by our lack of good competitive hockey. Give me a solid, entertaining team that can seriously challenge for the cup I'll be happy with that.

The slow pace of this hiring can be easily explained by the lack of urgency involved. The Sabres don’t need a coach for another month or two.

It might mean Botterill has his eye specifically on a candidate who is not yet available to interview; or that none of the people already interviewed blew him away; or that interest in the Sabres is spotty; or that he wants to make sure he has interviewed everyone on his list prior to moving forward; or that he is already in preliminary contract discussions with someone (a la Q and the Panthers prior to Boughner’s firing) that are on hold due to the Worlds; or...we just don’t know.

If I remember correctly, the last coaching search was like this as well: lengthy, with much speculation and very little concrete information.

The talk was mostly Housley and Tocchet; Housley was hired, Tocchet was never even interviewed. It is likely there are candidates out there yet to be interviewed, meaning we should look more closely at who is still playing: Keefe, obviously, but also other people involved in the NHL and AHL playoffs, as well as the Worlds.

In related news, Keefe’s Marlies swept Cleveland and sit now at 7-0 headed into the AHL semis.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Patty16 said:

We haven't missed out on anyone. I don't see what the rush is other than it's the off-season and we are bored.   Realistically, what is the drawback for Botts to see who is available after the season is over? 

Well, it seems pretty likely that MacL turned them down in favor of LA.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, klos1963 said:

Not making him out to be the 'face of the NHL',  not sure that anyone else is either.  He's an excellent player, he plays at critical moments during the games. He's very valuable to their team.

My OP was in contempt of the ROR "Leading his team into the semi's". If it said he was helping his team....I would have had no issue. The pedestal was erected and like you may have said(Not sure it was you) one player does not carry a team. The Blues have a nice mix and most contribute to their success, but there is no doubt that season change came on the heals of Berube and Binnington. The playoffs are a different animal and others always seem to rise up. Maroon is one I've always liked the way he plays.

I don't try to take away from the fact that ROR is a very good player, I just don't put him on that pedestal like others do. And what's up with the 47% FO .

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again