NEXT COACH should be? mega thread ...

Zamboni

Just now, Radar said:

Get ready for Martin like it or not? Who else is there with NHL experience? If Tippett isn't in our future then Martin is about the only name that's been mentioned with NHL experience. I know that's not popular but who else?

Nah seriously doubt Martin is frontrunner.

Tippet/keefe/ Boughner    I can live with.

Just now, Radar said:

Get ready for Martin like it or not? Who else is there with NHL experience? If Tippett isn't in our future then Martin is about the only name that's been mentioned with NHL experience. I know that's not popular but who else?

A name is available until it’s official they are not. Am I missing the Tippett is hired by ______ ?

screw any clickbait tweets, heresay or rumors.

I was reading up on Keefe a bit and found he's had a rather "tainted" past. 

I'm sure if Keefe is considered, that Pegula will do his due diligence looking into such things as the Barrie Colts incident, his part in the "Brampton Boys", and his association with David Frost. I've read up on some of these things and I'm sure there might be more to it (whether it be good or bad). Also, people sometimes learn from their mistakes (if they even feel there was a mistake). Just would like to know they check into all his past before hiring him. 

The guy checks most of the boxes and would like to know for sure there isn't any issues later on that might haunt us.

Do any of you know more about this, I've read some links in articles, but not sure what the deal was with the Barrie Colts thing.

51 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I don’t think Gronberg was first  “brought up by the fans”. 

If one has the energy to do some digging and dumpster diving ... I believe it was a “source” or “sports journalist” tweet.

Unless it was one of the big guys reporting it then it may as well been brought up by a fan.

30 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I was reading up on Keefe a bit and found he's had a rather "tainted" past. 

I'm sure if Keefe is considered, that Pegula will do his due diligence looking into such things as the Barrie Colts incident, his part in the "Brampton Boys", and his association with David Frost. I've read up on some of these things and I'm sure there might be more to it (whether it be good or bad). Also, people sometimes learn from their mistakes (if they even feel there was a mistake). Just would like to know they check into all his past before hiring him. 

The guy checks most of the boxes and would like to know for sure there isn't any issues later on that might haunt us.

Do any of you know more about this, I've read some links in articles, but not sure what the deal was with the Barrie Colts thing.

Can you expand on any of this that you’re able to 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

I don’t think Gronberg was first  “brought up by the fans”. 

If one has the energy to do some digging and dumpster diving ... I believe it was a “source” or “sports journalist” tweet.

I believe Grönborg was out there because his agent was beating the bushes trying to generate interest.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Nah seriously doubt Martin is frontrunner.

Tippet/keefe/ Boughner    I can live with.

Didn't think about Boughner. Yeah, I could go with that. Really think he did okay in Florida. Keefe or Tippet I'm thinking are possible but have a feeling they may be long shots.

2 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Can you expand on any of this that you’re able to 

I could tell you what I've read but it might keep you wanting more. A simple start is just looking him up on wikipedia and going to some of the links to other things.

But to start....there was an incident with Barrie Colts when he was captain involving the refusal to shake hands, the league Commissioner, and an awards event where there was issues. His agent (Frost) was....I'll let you read about his background and association with the Brampton Boys.

I know you are looking for links most likely but would rather you look these up and form your own opinion without anything being pushed on you. I haven't seen much indicating that Keefe might have just been  rebellious for some reason and was the team captian.  Just that I feel some of his past and associations have some questions for an interview at the very least.

3 hours ago, Patty16 said:

Did anyone report the Sabres had actual interest in Gronborg?  It seemed like it was generated solely from WGR. 

If Botts wants NHL experience that would seem to rule out Keefe too.  

Keefe also is ruling out the Sabres.

The bolded honestly just shows how in the dark Sabres Twitter is. Gronborg was apparently a "leading candidate" and it looks like he wasn't even on the radar. 

Can't trust that stuff. 

Edited by Thorny

18 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Crackerjack coaching search, JBotts!

I struggle to fault Botterill here, at least so far. All the talk about how good it was that Botterill was doing "due diligence" and taking his time didn't and still doesn't make a lot of sense to me, he doesn't have the luxury of weighing every available option in thorough detail for as long as he likes, because the candidates can and do move on to other opportunities, they aren't waiting on Buffalo. 

My thought is that he's getting a fair bit of skepticism and turn-down from potential candidates. We are biased towards the Sabres and admit the inherent risks of taking on this job with Botterill likely on the hot seat or soon approaching it, outsiders may have, if anything, a less favourable view. Botterill leaning towards someone with experience, and seemingly not looking to take a chance here or a big swing on a coach, meshes with the idea that there's pressure on him, for this hire to stabilize things (speculation). 

It was mentioned McLellan turned the Sabres down, and it was dismissed as perhaps inaccurate wording. Friedman mentioned he didn't think Keefe would accept the Sabres offer. As mentioned, lots of this just turns out to be noise, can't trust the speculation, so maybe he hasn't been turned down at all. But that isn't my guess.

I think dudacek is right on regarding Gronborg though, sounds like agent mischief to me. 

Edited by Thorny

50 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Keefe also is ruling out the Sabres.

The bolded honestly just shows how in the dark Sabres Twitter is. Gronborg was apparently a "leading candidate" and it looks like he wasn't even on the radar. 

Can't trust that stuff. 

Keefe may in fact be the best long term option... however JBOT doesn't have the luxury of giving Keefe a few seasons to adjust to the NHL... JBOTs job is on the line, he needs a guy that can immediately turn this team around.

That said, maybe Keefe is ready and won't need seasoning... but I haven't had a chance to interview him yet.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Crackerjack coaching search, JBotts!

We really don't know what he's doing.  We just know what SabreSpace, Twitter, blog writers, the Athletic and traditional media have said.  I'm pretty sure JBot is pretty careful about what information goes out.

Just now, Doohickie said:

We really don't know what he's doing.  We just know what SabreSpace, Twitter, blog writers, the Athletic and traditional media have said.  I'm pretty sure JBot is pretty careful about what information goes out.

Nature abhors a vacuum and that’s all this is. There is literally nothing coming from the organization, so people just stare at the ink blots and pontificate. Which... whatever. It’s when those pontifications get built in to straw men...

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

Nature abhors a vacuum and that’s all this is. There is literally nothing coming from the organization, so people just stare at the ink blots and pontificate. Which... whatever. It’s when those pontifications get built in to straw men...

And the funny thing is, if ultimately they tab Keefe, all the whining would be for nothing.  They can't do anything right now if he is their guy.

There's not much for the fan base to do right now.  There are two questions we want to see answered, and that's what much of the discussion is about:  Who will the next coach be?  And will Jeff Skinner sign with the Sabres?

Edited by Doohickie

The way I see it is that a first time coach is going to think this place will be the death knell for him in 2 years. It's like killing your career before it even begins. This team is 3 years away from the playoffs and no way is a rookie coach going to get that long of a leash.

51 minutes ago, SDS said:

Evidence?

<joke>You mean a Sabres fan can be something other than a nattering nabob of negativity right now?</joke>

I've heard some things of varying quality from sources around the PHWA and from my friends' contacts around the NHL.  On the other hand, let me speak to the positives:

• There are still only 31 jobs like it.
  • Pegulas are well liked for treating people well.
  • General feeling that the young core mostly needs confidence to keep themselves from getting down.
  • Overall feeling that even mere NHL quality in the line-up would have this team in the playoffs with decent coaching.
    • At least two people in NHL management have said off-the-record that they disagree with Botterill and think that the overall play from before the Sabres fell too far from the playoffs was for real.  Small line-up changes could have had this team in the playoffs even with Housley as coach.
  • Fan base is loyal almost to a fault; this is particularly true on the road.
    • Direct quote: "The Sabres 'travel well'."
  • Lots of people around the league have a soft spot for the Sabres.  This apparently goes back to the Knoxes.
Edited by E4 ... Ke2
Some extra clarity.