NEXT COACH should be? mega thread ...

Zamboni

36 minutes ago, WildCard said:

He ain't leaving man

I know this to be true. Dubas and Keefe’s Relationship is well documented. 

On the flip side, he will never be a hotter commodity than he is right now. He really has nothing else to prove in the AHL. What if he takes a job as a Leafs Asst and Babcock’s Teams play to their full potential and spend the next four years in the ECFs and SCF, does Keefe want to take that chance?

An offer of a NHL HC Position is better than the promise of a future one. 

And yes the Leafs can make him the highest paid AHL or Asst Coach, but if Botterill comes Pegula and says Keefe is my choice, what are the chances Pegula won’t match or exceed their offer especially if he can screw the Leafs over? 

Its a pipe dream and there is less than a .000000001% chance of it happening, but we can hope. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, WildCard said:

I'm not sure how the Bills and Sabres are comparable when it comes to surrounding yourself with competence. Are you saying Greeley and Sexton aren't?

Also, that would be McClellan. If you heard that, I'd be interested, and if TP did veto it, good for him

I would add Ryan Jankowski to that list as well. 

Steve Greeley interviewed and was offered the GM Position in Carolina. 

Sexton was asked about Pres of Hockey Ops for Ottawa. 

The talent is certainly there. 

Interestingly The Sabres actually have a larger scouting department than the Bills. 

18 hours ago, klos1963 said:

Doan coaches his son at the rink my kids play at here in AZ- he never wanted to leave Phoenix as a player, I wonder if he would as a coach.  Super great guy, always has time to chat with everyone at the rink.

18 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

I think he might if Tippett asked him to.

I doubt it.  He's put in his time, now he's enjoying a stress-free life.  Why would he mess with that?  From what klos sez it doesn't sound like he's eager for the road again.

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Chris Parker AKA The Bulldog mentioned on Twitter this AM that a reporter out of Edmonton, who has the Holland News a week before anyone else, stated that Dave Tippet is in the discussion for HC of Oilers. 

I read this somewhere earlier this week.

11 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Chris Parker AKA The Bulldog mentioned on Twitter this AM that a reporter out of Edmonton, who has the Holland News a week before anyone else, stated that Dave Tippet is in the discussion for HC of Oilers. 

This would suck

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, WildCard said:

This would suck

A couple things to remember:

1. Tippet is an okay, not great, coach.  Yes, he would have brought discipline and professionalism to the Sabres, but I think there are better out there.

2. Ken Holland's heyday came before the salary cap.  He hasn't shown himself to be a wizard of cap management.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

2. Ken Holland's heyday came before the salary cap.  He hasn't shown himself to be a wizard of cap management.

And he inherited a team with 4 hall of famers.  That certainly makes the job easier.  I don't want to downplay the success while he was there, but it's much easier to build a house if you're handed a hammer and a saw compared to only being handed a rock.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

He inherited a reigning Stanley Cup champion.

That he had a huge hand in building?

From Wikipedia:

After his playing career was over, Holland took a job with the Red Wings as a scout in Western Canada. He subsequently served seven years as Director of Amateur Scouting and three as assistant general manager. On July 18, 1997, he was promoted to general manager, executive vice president and alternate governor of the Detroit Red Wings. The 2012–13 season was his 16th as general manager and his 30th year overall with the Red Wings organization. He has won the Stanley Cup four times with Detroit: the first in 1997 as assistant general manager and goaltending coach, and the latter three as general manager in 1998, 2002 and 2008.

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I doubt it.  He's put in his time, now he's enjoying a stress-free life.  Why would he mess with that?  From what klos sez it doesn't sound like he's eager for the road again.

General thoughts, not specific to Doan:

• Life away from the game isn't easy for every player, even if they look fat, rich, and happy.  Some need the structure and the focus.
  • Competitiveness and love of being involved in the game doesn't necessarily leave players when they retire or start families.
  • Coaching salary ain't bad.

That said, some players (again, not specific to Doan) don't make great coaches, but I think if a player with Doan's demonstrated experience and leadership wanted to be involved in the game, he'd receive lots of try-it-out opportunities, including assistant coaching positions.

• Like (+1) 2

23 hours ago, Curtisp5286 said:

He is saying that there are rumors(whispers) out there that Pegula said no to giving McLellan $5M.  I have not heard anything like that.

I’m sure it’s out there. TP supposedly balked at paying a guy $5M when Edmonton was only paying him $3M and then fired him. 

2 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

I think if Buffalo really wanted him that badly, it would be done by now. Clearly there is someone that Buffalo is waiting on and I would lover to know who that is....

On WGR last night, "Sneaky Joe" was discussing who he thought were pretty high on the list.  Keefe and Gronborg, essentially, with Gronborg being, perhaps, more likely.  He doesn't claim to have inside info, but did do a @PASabreFan-style deconstruction of the situation as we know it to arrive at his conclusions.

And, of course, there is conflicting info on Tippet.  https://o.canada.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/ken-holland-is-coming-to-edmonton-oilers-but-not-coach-dave-tippett-says-holland-insider/wcm/a203daef-0c30-46ef-8cb6-96d9298bf2ac

Friedman on 590 said just now that his thought is that Keefe would say no if Buffalo asked. That if he leaves its for an "ideal situation". 

---

The more I think about it, I think the perception of stability is going to matter, here. I don't think Pegula has much choice other than to tell Botterill he's not on the hot seat and has time to build the roster he sees fit. 

I think that's a lie, I think Botterill is on the clock for massive improvement this year, but doesn't he have to tell it anyways? The incoming coach can't be thinking that the GM is potentially one and out, or that coach would be thinking he is too. 

Pegula has to lie right now, or commit to giving Botterill a timeline mulligan should this coming season be another fail. 

Edited by Thorny

20 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Friedman on 590 said just now that his thought is that Keefe would say no if Buffalo asked. That if he leaves its for an "ideal situation". 

---

The more I think about it, I think the perception of stability is going to matter, here. I don't think Pegula has much choice other than to tell Botterill he's not on the hot seat and has time to build the roster he sees fit. 

I think that's a lie, I think Botterill is on the clock for massive improvement this year, but doesn't he have to tell it anyways? The incoming coach can't be thinking that the GM is potentially one and out, or that coach would be thinking he is too. 

Pegula has to lie right now, or commit to giving Botterill a timeline mulligan should this coming season be another fail. 

Unfortunately what you're saying indeed could be the case. I do think the instability could be factor and may be why we're still without a hire.

3 hours ago, tom webster said:

I’m sure it’s out there. TP supposedly balked at paying a guy $5M when Edmonton was only paying him $3M and then fired him. 

Never saw it written and it didn’t turn up when I looked for it.  Did anyone else out there see this?

23 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

Never saw it written and it didn’t turn up when I looked for it.  Did anyone else out there see this?

Only from Webster.

Doesnt conflict with McKenzies report that there was never an offer.

23 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

Yea I never saw that either. But it’s fun to assume negative stuff. Amirite?

49 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Ehh...

Weirdness does happen sometimes -Willie Desjardins (AHL HC and Calder winner) turned down the Penguins to take the Canucks HC job the same year in 2014- but I don't know of any AHL HC that turns down an extended offer for an NHL HC only to remain an AHL HC that year.  That said, it's hard to find data on this.

So I could see Keefe having a choice between NHL jobs, but I'd find it very unlikely he doesn't take a Buffalo job if it's the only offer on the table.