NEXT COACH should be? mega thread ...

Zamboni

58 minutes ago, Radar said:

I'm getting the feeling after listening to Dreger on the Instigators and Holland to Oilers and Tippett possibly in the mix there that he's a long shot for here. Gronborg has been floating around all along so wouldn't be shocking but not having coached in North America would JBOT take a chance with him? Having said that wouldn't a guy like Keefe have similar risk level? Then there's always Martin still out there. He seems not to be too popular with posters on here. I think we'll find out after JBOT gets back to the states.

I think as far as “risk factor”, hiring Keefe would be taking more of a risk than hiring Gronberg. 

1 hour ago, Radar said:

I'm getting the feeling after listening to Dreger on the Instigators and Holland to Oilers and Tippett possibly in the mix there that he's a long shot for here. Gronborg has been floating around all along so wouldn't be shocking but not having coached in North America would JBOT take a chance with him? Having said that wouldn't a guy like Keefe have similar risk level? Then there's always Martin still out there. He seems not to be too popular with posters on here. I think we'll find out after JBOT gets back to the states.

He haa been living in NA for 20 years, been coaching quite much during those years in NA, go back 1 or 2 pages and liste  to the 14 mins interview with him.

12 hours ago, SDS said:

Yael is a professional soccer player. Had had a great career. Interesting take.

10 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

So, next year we can expect to either pick 1st overall(depending on lottery) or sneak into the playoffs. Great!

It depends on how you interpret the theory.  Is it "a new coach can make a team 20% better or 80% worse than they were" or "a coach, new or not, can make a team 20% better or 80% worse than they are"?  In other words, a team can change by +20%/-80% from the previous year with a coaching change -or- a team has some basic ability level and a coach can get them to overperform by 20% or underperform by 80%. 

If it's the former, then you (MSGA) are correct.  If it's a latter, and Housley was making them perform at 80% of their ability level, then we could see up to a 500% (20% to 120%) improvement with a coach that can get them to overperform.

Certainly, if you have a coach really bad coach, then you wouldn't expect another bad coach to make them 80% worse off.  Also, if you went really good, followed by really bad, followed by really good again, then the first interpretation would mean that the team would play at 24% (1.2*(1-0.8)) of the level of the first really good coach under the second really good coach (at least in the short run.)  Under the second theory, they would be back to where they were.  Probably would be somewhere in between (again, in the short run.)

34 minutes ago, tom webster said:

So Shane Doan is joining Canada’s staff as consultant to JBOT days after singing Tippet’s praises. Coincidence?

Yep. The meeting between Tippet and Jbot was probably just Jbot following up on Doan’s job application references. 

51 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Or Tippett as HC with Shane Doan as an assistant.

Or none of it happens at all.

Bob Costas: And so it all comes down to this; one shot. Coop makes it? The Beers win the cup and get to keep the team.
Al Michaels: Or...he misses!

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

Does a head coach wind up looking over his shoulder when there is that much experience on the bench?

Theoretically, and ideally, the head coach would be the main decision maker when it comes to who his assistant coaches will be, so I would think a head coach is selecting assistants that he is comfortable with.

49 minutes ago, shrader said:

Does a head coach wind up looking over his shoulder when there is that much experience on the bench?

The successful teams are surrounding themselves with smart people. It’s my biggest concern with JBOT and wonder what the commitment he’s getting from the Pegula’s. Brandon Beane has built an all star support system and finds places for smart people. JBOT has Greeley and Sexton. Then you hear whispers that TP vetoed the $5 million offer for Edmonton’s ex coach(I’m drawing a complete blank) and at least I wonder.

Edited by tom webster

9 minutes ago, tom webster said:

The successful teams are surrounding themselves with smart people. It’s my biggest concern with JBOT and wonder what the commitment he’s getting from the Pegula’s. Brandon Beane has built an all star support system and finds places for smart people. JBOT has Greeley and Sexton. Then you hear whispers that TP vetoed the $5 million offer for Edmonton’s ex coach(I’m drawing a complete blank) and at least I wonder.

??

10 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Then you hear whispers that TP vetoed the $5 million offer for Edmonton’s ex coach(I’m drawing a complete blank) and at least I wonder.

Who was whispering this?  Rumors I heard were that Buffalo was offering up to $5M, then that Buffalo and McLellan were not going to be a match, then McLellan signed with LA for $5M.

11 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I'm not sure how the Bills and Sabres are comparable when it comes to surrounding yourself with competence. Are you saying Greeley and Sexton aren't?

Also, that would be McClellan. If you heard that, I'd be interested, and if TP did veto it, good for him

Just now, Curtisp5286 said:

Who was whispering this?  Rumors I heard were that Buffalo was offering up to $5M, then that Buffalo and McLellan were not going to be a match, then McLellan signed with LA for $5M.

Yeah, that's more consistent with my recollection.

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think he’s saying that Pegula may have said no to making a McLellan a $5 million offer.

He is saying that there are rumors(whispers) out there that Pegula said no to giving McLellan $5M.  I have not heard anything like that.

4 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Or Tippett as HC with Shane Doan as an assistant.

Doan coaches his son at the rink my kids play at here in AZ- he never wanted to leave Phoenix as a player, I wonder if he would as a coach.  Super great guy, always has time to chat with everyone at the rink.

2 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Doan coaches his son at the rink my kids play at here in AZ- he never wanted to leave Phoenix as a player, I wonder if he would as a coach.  Super great guy, always has time to chat with everyone at the rink.

I think he might if Tippett asked him to.

Edited by IKnowPhysics