NEXT COACH should be? mega thread ...

Zamboni

From Friedman’s 31 Thoughts 

Buffalo interviewed Dave Tippett for its coaching vacancy, and word is that went very well. Jacques Martin was in there, too, and Swedish National Coach Rikard Gronborg is expected to be in the mix. After a great regular season their AHL affiliate, Rochester, was swept by Toronto in the first round of the Calder Cup playoffs. Word is they were very impressed with the job Sheldon Keefe did, and it wouldn’t be a stunner if they asked to talk to him. There is a belief they don’t want a first-time hire, but Keefe could test that.

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Derrico said:

You wonder if tippet is set on Seattle and just interviewed to see what buffalo is all about or if he truly is available.  I wanted tippet when he was still coaching zona.

Tippett or Keefe would be very good choices from different ends of the experience spectrums.  Would definitely be happy with either.  Should they not land either, & my guess would be they end up with Keefe, but should they get neither would not be opposed to rolling the dice on Gronberg (sp?).  Expect his ceiling's as high as the other 2, though his floor is waaaaay below theirs.  (Especially on his 1st try at running an NHL squad.)

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

From Friedman’s 31 Thoughts 

Buffalo interviewed Dave Tippett for its coaching vacancy, and word is that went very well. 

YASSSS

35 minutes ago, WildCard said:

For the love of God, give me Tippett

Agreed.

Dave Tippett might be the best available coach right now, and I think he has demonstrated potential to be a great coach for this type of team.  He took a Phoenix team that had missed the playoffs six straight years and took them into the playoffs immediately on a 107 point season.  He coached Swedish Jesus Oliver Ekman Larsson the first seven years of his (nine year old) career.  He hung tough as a dedicated coach through the years of financial mess that really started to boil over as soon as he arrived.  Arizona ownership fired GM Don Maloney (who won GM of the year with Phoenix) before firing Tippett.  The next GM, the NHL's youngest ever GM hired at age 26, John Chayka, fired Tippett a year later, the same offseason in which Phoenix opted not to resign Shane Doan; Phoenix has not been to the playoffs since.  They will also likely never make the playoffs again, as they're being moved to the Central Division when Seattle joins the league in 2021, and will likely get their teeth kicked in by the Central in perpetuity.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Derrico said:

You wonder if tippet is set on Seattle and just interviewed to see what buffalo is all about or if he truly is available.  I wanted tippet when he was still coaching zona.

I’ve read in a few places (and before Buffalo was looking) that Tippett is not married to the Seattle job.

He is working for them as a consultant, period, and has not been given any promises about a coaching job. The team doesn’t even have a GM yet, and I’m sure that guy is going to want his own coach.

I don’t see why Tippett excites people who had no interest in AV or McLellan. He’s no less old school than they are, has had less success, isn’t known as a coach who develops the kids, and has been a defensive shell guy most of his career. I guess the difference is expectations of the teams he had.

As far I’m concerned however, he meets my primary requirement: somebody who will demand respect.

I’ve pretty much gravitated to Keefe, but I’d be fine with Tippett.

And really, I don’t have ***** clue about the right coach for this bunch, anyway.

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’ve read in a few places (and before Buffalo was looking) that Tippett is not married to the Seattle job.

He is working for them as a consultant, period, and has not been given any promises about a coaching job. The team doesn’t even have a GM yet, and I’m sure that guy is going to want his own coach.

I don’t see why Tippett excites people who had no interest in AV or McLellan. He’s no less old school than they are, has had less success, isn’t known as a coach who develops the kids, and has been a defensive shell guy most of his career. I guess the difference is expectations of the teams he had.

As far I’m concerned however, he meets my primary requirement: somebody who will demand respect.

And really, I don’t have ***** clue about the right coach for this bunch, anyway.

Neither do I. Give me Keefe or give me death. Not really, but he is at the top of my list. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Not everyone agrees:

http://arizonasports.com/story/438255/busting-some-myths-about-coyotes-coach-dave

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Dave Tippett might be the best available coach right now, and I think he has demonstrated potential to be a great coach for this type of team.  He took a Phoenix team that had missed the playoffs six straight years and took them into the playoffs immediately on a 107 point season.  He coached Swedish Jesus Oliver Ekman Larsson the first seven years of his (nine year old) career.  He hung tough as a dedicated coach through the years of financial mess that really started to boil over as soon as he arrived.  Arizona ownership fired GM Don Maloney (who won GM of the year with Phoenix) before firing Tippett.  The next GM, the NHL's youngest ever GM hired at age 26, John Chayka, fired Tippett a year later, the same offseason in which Phoenix opted not to resign Shane Doan; Phoenix has not been to the playoffs since.  They will also likely never make the playoffs again, as they're being moved to the Central Division when Seattle joins the league in 2021, and will likely get their teeth kicked in by the Central in perpetuity.

They nearly made the playoffs this season. haha

I'm a huge Tippett guy as well. In Dallas he had a offensive juggernaut and well he's considered a "demanding" coach, the star players always seem to love playing for him.... Mike Modano, Shane Doan, and Max Domi.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ripper said:

Obviously small sample size but if it was true that he doesn't do well with young players or like to develop kids, i don't think he would've been on the staff to coach Team North America at the 2016 World Cup which was literally full of only kids, including Jack Eichel.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I wonder if they bring Tippett as HC for structure and Gronburg as an AC as a way to invigorate the team while also giving him the entry to the league he desires.

Maybe an apprenticeship for Gronberg under Tippet for 1yr then Tippet moves on to Seattle if offered. Allows Gronberg to get acclimated.

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

If they ever land on the right GM/coach combo, then the bunch has to fit them. If Eichel doesn't fit, fine. We can miss the playoffs with or without him. At some point you either need the right coach or the right lineup. We've had neither.

• Like (+1) 2

Until we fix the roster the coach doesn’t matter and may not matter much once the roster is fixed. It’s pretty clear that Tippett, Keefe, Gronberg and Martin can all coach.  The AZ article dispelled any real negatives about Tippett. I can see all of them working as long as they have something to work with.

Until he have three full scoring lines and at least 3 D who actually play D, I’m not going to lose much sleep on who gets the HC job.  

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Maybe an apprenticeship for Gronberg under Tippet for 1yr then Tippet moves on to Seattle if offered. Allows Gronberg to get acclimated.

these things don’t happen. can we stop trying to turn gronberg into a prospect with protected minutes?

10 minutes ago, WildCard said:

FWIW Housley wasn't hired until June 15th

Yep. And Bylsma was fired on April 20th. So it took the braintrust just under 2 months to hire Housley. 

I’m glad there are several names floating around. Maybe more names will shake loose as the playoffs progress.

7 hours ago, French Collection said:

I've been on the Tippett train since Phil has left. Do it.

I wonder if  Gronberg would take the assistant job.

No... the HC hires his assistants... not the GM.     

Does Tippett have a connection to Gronberg?

Shane Doan on Tippett....

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/472786/he-sees-the-game-the-right-way-former-nhl-player-shane-doan-talks-dave-tippett/?

“We’re like five days into training camp… and we’d finished 25 points out of a playoff spot; we were embarrassingly bad. And Tipp came in that year and we went from being 25 points out of the playoff spot to being third overall in the NHL. We finished with the highest points that we’d ever finished with as an organization. And I was sold, hook-line-and-sinker, on the ability of him to coach and manage a team. It was unbelievable what he did with that group, and the turnaround; he won Coach of the Year, and everything kind of went from there. It was absolutely phenomenal. And I really enjoyed getting to know him that year and that kind of was the start of my relationship with him. It showed his ability to take a team that wasn’t very good and instill a whole bunch of discipline and belief in the group, and kind of turned us around.”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Hoss said:

these things don’t happen. can we stop trying to turn gronberg into a prospect with protected minutes?

Yet we want an innovative forward thinking out-of-the-box GM who will hire the next coming of a brain child AHL coach with no NHL experience. Or a re-tread. Or an NHL assistant coach. Or a (former) Cup winner.Or a HOF Alumni. Or.....Or.....Or.....Nolan.....Or....Rolston......Or.......?????

Next thing you'll be saying is that we should take fighting out of the game. Or change the rules for whether or not an 18yr old kid can play in the AHL instead of the going back to Jrs. Or take out the center red line offsides. Make players wear a helmet or a mask. Make sticks out of something other than wood. How about we don't have analytics. How about we change the rules so a player like John Scott or Zemgus Girgensons can't get voted to the All-Star Game.

I get it.....it's never been done before, rules never change, thinking out-of-the-box is just stupid, and there's never "a first time for anything".

I stop when others stop trying to promote "their" ideas of how things should happen and that any other coaching hire is the second coming of ......?

Isn't that why we're all here....to express our thoughts and get feed back that isn't just.....these things don't happen, stop it or you'll get a spanking.