NEXT COACH should be? mega thread ...

Zamboni

"He’s a great coach,” said the Sabres’ Dahlin, who played for Grönborg at the 2018 Olympics. “He’s kind of North American style. It’s pretty similar, but of course he has his own thing.”

Grönborg’s coaching style features a free-flowing game where players aren’t defined by their position.

“We involve all five players in the defense as well as the offense,” he said. “The game is not as static anymore. Everyone needs to go outside the box a little bit. Forwards are not always forwards, and defensemen are not always defensemen. It’s the situation that steers that and dictates it. That’s how you raise the pace of the game.”

On identifying a team's strengths.

“Everyone wants to talk about fast-paced games, and I agree with that. I like that part of it. But sometimes you just don’t have that kind of a team. Well, then you have to make adjustments to a new way of thinking. So I think the biggest thing is the adjustment part of it and agree on ‘this is our strengths’ and how do you get games to play into our strengths?”

“There’s so much information out there – for coaches, especially – but how do you boil everything down to what’s important to you and your team and your environment? I think that’s the biggest key because the information is all over the place. I mean, you’ve got video, you’ve got analytics, you’ve got what I call soft value, which is working with the players individually and within the team. They’re not robots, you know? There needs to be a balance of everything."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, steveoath said:

"He’s a great coach,” said the Sabres’ Dahlin, who played for Grönborg at the 2018 Olympics. “He’s kind of North American style. It’s pretty similar, but of course he has his own thing.”

Grönborg’s coaching style features a free-flowing game where players aren’t defined by their position.

“We involve all five players in the defense as well as the offense,” he said. “The game is not as static anymore. Everyone needs to go outside the box a little bit. Forwards are not always forwards, and defensemen are not always defensemen. It’s the situation that steers that and dictates it. That’s how you raise the pace of the game.”

On identifying a team's strengths.

“Everyone wants to talk about fast-paced games, and I agree with that. I like that part of it. But sometimes you just don’t have that kind of a team. Well, then you have to make adjustments to a new way of thinking. So I think the biggest thing is the adjustment part of it and agree on ‘this is our strengths’ and how do you get games to play into our strengths?”

“There’s so much information out there – for coaches, especially – but how do you boil everything down to what’s important to you and your team and your environment? I think that’s the biggest key because the information is all over the place. I mean, you’ve got video, you’ve got analytics, you’ve got what I call soft value, which is working with the players individually and within the team. They’re not robots, you know? There needs to be a balance of everything."

Aside from maybe lack of NA experience, where’s the catch on this guy?

2 hours ago, #freejame said:

that’s the entire catch, and it’s a tough one to overlook. considering how much dahlin has talked about how the north american game is like an entirely different sport it should be worrying for a coaching hire.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, steveoath said:

Offensive-minded defensemen jumping up into the play are one thing, defending with forwards is another. The top-end skill in the NHL will feast on forwards rotating to the blue-line if that is the idea.

I don't have a recent example, but Pominville going around Alfie in 2006 comes to mind.

19 minutes ago, Hoss said:

that’s the entire catch, and it’s a tough one to overlook. considering how much dahlin has talked about how the north american game is like an entirely different sport it should be worrying for a coaching hire.

I feel like the playing adjustment would be larger than the coaching adjustment. Either way, beats the pants off trotting Jacques freaking Martin out there. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Hoss said:

To me, I'm not as worried about the Euro versus NA style issue.  He's played college hockey here, he has exposure to the NA game.  What I worry about is that a lot of his coaching experience has been with tournament style formats versus extended season formats.  I have a feeling he'd get the team set up to do well out of the gate (as if it were a short term tournament) but wouldn't be adept at handling the inevitable drop-off as the season grinds on.  That's why I've suggested something like a tandem of Lindy Ruff as the HC and Gronberg as the Associate Head Coach, with Lindy being on a fixed term with a planned transition to Gronberg as HC.

• Like (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Grönberg is ringing a lot of bells with me. Every quote I've seen has been Grade A.

That’s what I’m saying. He seems like he runs the type of system that I look for in a coach, as well as being flexible and adaptable. I’m not too concerned with the lack of NA coaching experience, but that’s more because I like his quotes and believe he knows what he’s doing. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, #freejame said:

His view on how to approach the game is waaaaayyyyy different than what North America is used to?  Not that it's a bad thing, at all.  If done correctly, it might utterly confuse the other teams - especially since it's no set system where the patterns could eventually be discerned.  The idea is very tempting.

4 hours ago, SDS said:

Offensive-minded defensemen jumping up into the play are one thing, defending with forwards is another. The top-end skill in the NHL will feast on forwards rotating to the blue-line if that is the idea.

I don't have a recent example, but Pominville going around Alfie in 2006 comes to mind.

I think this takes the concept to the extreme.  If the players are left to do what they feel they need to do in the moment, they will revert back to their comfortable and "proper" roles in response to the game.  Allowing more creativity on the ice doesn't just mean figuring out ways to score, it also means figuring out ways to keep leads.

2 minutes ago, ... said:

tHis view on how to approach the game is waaaaayyyyy different than what North America is used to?  Not that it's a bad thing, at all.  If done correctly, it might utterly confuse the other teams - especially since it's no set system where the patterns could eventually be discerned.  The idea is very tempting.

Interesting thoughts.  Could be like when the wildcat was first used again in the NFL a few years ago.  Took the D time to figure out how to stop it.

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

To me, I'm not as worried about the Euro versus NA style issue.  He's played college hockey here, he has exposure to the NA game.  What I worry about is that a lot of his coaching experience has been with tournament style formats versus extended season formats.  I have a feeling he'd get the team set up to do well out of the gate (as if it were a short term tournament) but wouldn't be adept at handling the inevitable drop-off as the season grinds on.  That's why I've suggested something like a tandem of Lindy Ruff as the HC and Gronberg as the Associate Head Coach, with Lindy being on a fixed term with a planned transition to Gronberg as HC.

You know, this is a valid point.  There will clearly be a learning curve for all involved here.  I do not agree that Gronberg should be AC to a vet's HC.  I doubt you get a veteran HC to agree to such a setup and I wouldn't doubt Gronberg would be frustrated by being told he can't or shouldn't do this or that.  There would be way too much tension in this relationship.  I think the solution here is a vet coach as AC, or as coach-adviser or some setup where the vet is explicitly hired to advise.

Edited by ...
The Ghost of Dwight Drane

The more I think about it I think I'm all in on Gronborg, they just need to get him some dinosaur who has seen it all in the NHL to be on his senior staff. If he's our guy we should just give him the reigns now rather than try to find a lame duck to keep his seat warm for 2 years.

I don’t think international hockey is so different from NHL hockey that a coach can’t adjust like a player.

I want a leader who exudes competence and can tactically match wits and manage players in the NHL.

The beard is a good start.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, ... said:

You know, this is a valid point.  There will clearly be a learning curve for all involved here.  I do not agree that Gronberg should be AC to a vet's HC.  I doubt you get a veteran HC to agree to such a setup and I wouldn't doubt Gronberg would be frustrated by being told he can't or shouldn't do this or that.  There would be way too much tension in this relationship.  I think the solution here is a vet coach as AC, or as coach-adviser or some setup where the vet is explicitly hired to advise.

I'm still holding out hope for Dave Tippett. His name hardly pops up in any rumours so I imagine he's loving the setup in Seattle and will remain with that organization.

I'm liking Gronberg more as time goes on. I agree he should a veteran staff to provide him with details on cities, rinks, travel, opposing teams tendencies etc...

1 hour ago, ... said:

His view on how to approach the game is waaaaayyyyy different than what North America is used to?  Not that it's a bad thing, at all.  If done correctly, it might utterly confuse the other teams - especially since it's no set system where the patterns could eventually be discerned.  The idea is very tempting.

I don’t think this is necessarily true.  His views that I’ve heard all sound good, but I haven’t heard anything that’s new exactly.

1 hour ago, Drunkard said:

The more I think about it I think I'm all in on Gronborg, they just need to get him some dinosaur who has seen it all in the NHL to be on his senior staff. If he's our guy we should just give him the reigns now rather than try to find a lame duck to keep his seat warm for 2 years.

Yeah, possibly.  Either way, I think just turning him loose on the NHL might set him up for failure.  I think he needs, like you said a dinosaur like Jacques Martin, or my suggestion Lindy Ruff, or whoever.  The key is to find a former head coach who will accept the role as an assistant.

• Like (+1) 1

From the WGR Coaching Search Article 

On Friday, Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman joined the Boomer and Warrener in the Morning show on Sportsnet 690 The Fan in Calgary. He provided some insight on what he has heard with the Sabres' coaching search, including a new name that is also becoming a hot name on the market.

"I believe Jacques Martin has interviewed there. I think the Swedish National coach Rikard Grönborg has been interviewed there. I'll tell you something else. I don't think they want to go first time NHL head coach, I don't believe it's their preference, but their American Hockey League team in Rochester, which had a really good season, was juts knocked out in a sweep in the first round of the playoffs by Toronto. That team is coached by Sheldon Keefe. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't at least ask to interview him. I heard they were impressed with the job he did, and I think he's going to enter the picture."

Keefe has been with the Toronto Marlies for the past four seasons as their head coach in the AHL. The 38-year-old has already impressed a number of people around the hockey world, leading the Marlies to a 189-87-28 as the head coach and four straight playoff appearances. Last season, Keefe helped lead the Marlies to a league-best 54-18-2-2 record and the team's first ever Calder Cup championship after defeating the Texas Stars in seven games in the Calder Cup Final.

His teams have also made it to at least the second round of the Calder Cup Playoffs in all four seasons. The Marlies are currently set to face the Cleveland Monsters in the second round of the 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs.

Before becoming a head coach in the AHL, Keefe was a successful head coach with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds in the Ontario Hockey League. After taking over head coaching duties in the Soo in 2012-13 season, Keefe led the Greyhounds to three straight playoff appearances, advancing to the next round of the playoffs in each seasons. In three seasons with the Greyhounds, Keefe posted a 121-41-13 record with a win percentage of .691. His best season came in the 2014-15 season, where he led the Greyhounds to a 54-12-2 record and the top record in the OHL. However, his squad lost in the Western Conference Final to Connor McDavid and the Erie Otters in six games.

Keefe was a former second round pick (47th overall) of the Tampa Bay Lightning in the 1999 NHL Draft. He played parts of three seasons in the NHL with the Lightning, scoring 12 goals and 24 points in 125 games. After playing in parts of two more seasons in the AHL, Keefe decided to call it a career in the 2004-05 season and pursue his coaching career.

• Like (+1) 1