NEXT COACH should be? mega thread ...

Zamboni

47 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

His usage in the Olympics, especially against lower level talent, was quite concerning. 

I hope it’s not Gronberg or Taylor TBH 

Wasn’t he more or less not used at all? He was also 17 at the time and playing in his first professional season. I’m not sure I would read too much into it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I am on the Keefe train to Keefe town. 

4 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Count me in! 

Keefe or Smith please.

47 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Wasn’t he more or less not used at all? He was also 17 at the time and playing in his first professional season. I’m not sure I would read too much into it.

I think he played 5 minutes the entire Olympics. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Derrico said:

I’m cool with one of the Swedish guys as an assistant but no thanks to head coach.

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

HC Keefe and AC gronberg would an interesting one two punch if we got both.  

I'm not sure that would work if Gronberg has designs on a HC position.  I keep coming back to a Ruff/Gronberg situation, where Ruff provides the authority and structure while Gronberg provides the creativity and innovation.  Ruff comes in with the expectation that it's a short term gig but if he does well grooming Grongberg he'll get kicked upstairs, and Gronberg comes in knowing he's #2 with the expectation of moving up to HC after a fairly short period of apprenticeship (~2 years).

Bringing in Keefe and Gronberg could quickly escalate into a power struggle.

Bringing in Ruff to groom Gronberg would be a clearer #1 and #2 situation.  But it would have to come with a clear transition plan.

11 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I'm not sure that would work if Gronberg has designs on a HC position.  I keep coming back to a Ruff/Gronberg situation, where Ruff provides the authority and structure while Gronberg provides the creativity and innovation.  Ruff comes in with the expectation that it's a short term gig but if he does well grooming Grongberg he'll get kicked upstairs, and Gronberg comes in knowing he's #2 with the expectation of moving up to HC after a fairly short period of apprenticeship (~2 years).

Bringing in Ruff to groom Gronberg would be a clearer #1 and #2 situation.  But it would have to come with a clear transition plan.

Has anything like this been done before in the NHL?

33 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I understand what you’re saying… I just thought Gronberg at some point in an interview said something to the effect of IF he went to the NHL, that HE would want an assistant coaching position first to get used to things in the league. He would not want a HC position right away. That was why I mention Keefe as HC and Gronberg as AC. It’s just a random thought....

16 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I understand what you’re saying… I just thought Gronberg at some point in an interview said something to the effect of IF he went to the NHL, that HE would want an assistant coaching position first to get used to things in the league. He would not want a HC position right away. That was why I mention Keefe as HC and Gronberg as AC. It’s just a random thought....

I think it's Keefe or Gronberg, but not both

43 minutes ago, sabresouth said:

Has anything like this been done before in the NHL?

Scotty Bowman groomed both Barry Smith and Dave Lewis to be Red Wings head coaches.  I don't recall one way or the other if it was planned that way, but it's the way it worked out.

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Scotty Bowman groomed both Barry Smith and Dave Lewis to be Red Wings head coaches.  I don't recall one way or the other if it was planned that way, but it's the way it worked out.

Also Roger Nielson, Jim Schoenfeld, and Craig Ramsay in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

TSN is parroting Burnside's note that the Sabres have "thrown Gronborg into the mix."

https://www.tsn.ca/report-gronborg-a-candidate-for-sabres-1.1294376

Burnside:

"...Gronborg is immensely popular in coaching circles and considered forward thinking. A source close to the Sabres indicated that, when they failed to land McLellan, Gronborg’s name was thrown into the mix, especially given the number of top young Swedes on the Sabres’ roster, including last June’s No. 1 overall pick Rasmus Dahlin. Would it be an outside the box hire for Buffalo GM Jason Botterill or any of the other GMs (assuming Edmonton gets a GM at some point) to hire from outside of North America? Sure. But it does seem like high time that coaches with different perspectives are considered as the NHL game continues to evolve."

On 4/21/2019 at 8:41 AM, Weave said:

A source close to the Sabres indicated that, when they failed to land McLellan.......

Hmmm..........

I found this to be a little concerning, assuming the wording was accurate. 

On 4/21/2019 at 3:24 PM, Brawndo said:

I wonder if that Burnside’s Wording on the Situation or did that actually occur? 

Greg Brady, no not that one, from TSN Toronto was on WGR yesterday and mentioned he has no inside knowledge of the situation but it would not surprise him if the Sabres and Sheldon Keefe had something worked out already. 

Who? Is this the Brady that used to work at SN?

11 minutes ago, SDS said:

Reinhart would love those words whispered in his ear. 

It has been and will continue to be interesting to see how stringent Botterill is in terms of building a cohesive vision for his hockey team and their style of play. How much he veers into that Gronborg line of thinking and how much he doesn't. From what we've heard about the type of game he wants his team to play, Reinhart remains a good barometer. As would hiring someone like Gronborg, apparently. Based on a quote like that. 

Ultimately I don't think Reinhart gets traded, at least not anytime soon. I wouldn't be shocked if he was, though. Botterill's drafting, for one, at least thus far has stayed true to a consistent formula, so I could see him taking a strict approach to team building when he can, too. 

But at the end of the day, like I said, I think it's more likely he always has room for a player as good as Reinhart regardless of play style. Jury still out though, and his contract indicated much the same a year ago. 

I wonder if Botterill has gained belief in Sam after this past season, and if he'll entertain the idea of an extension for Sam this summer. 

Edited by Thorny

34 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It has been and will continue to be interesting to see how stringent Botterill is in terms of building a cohesive vision for his hockey team and their style of play. How much he veers into that Gronborg line of thinking and how much he doesn't. From what we've heard about the type of game he wants his team to play, Reinhart remains a good barometer. As would hiring someone like Gronborg, apparently. Based on a quote like that. 

Ultimately I don't think Reinhart gets traded, at least not anytime soon. I wouldn't be shocked if he was, though. Botterill's drafting, for one, at least thus far has stayed true to a consistent formula, so I could see him taking a strict approach to team building when he can, too. 

But at the end of the day, like I said, I think it's more likely he always has room for a player as good as Reinhart regardless of play style. Jury still out though, and his contract indicated much the same a year ago. 

I wonder if Botterill has gained belief in Sam after this past season, and if he'll entertain the idea of an extension for Sam this summer.

Would hope so, but don't expect it.  Especially w/ the lockout looming, not expecting anybody who's contact expires in '20 to get extended this summer.

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Would hope so, but don't expect it.  Especially w/ the lockout looming, not expecting anybody who's contact expires in '20 to get extended this summer.

This is a wise take, but I hope It’s incorrect.

It is noticeable how Botterill points to Sam during virtually every interview; he’s become like Jason’s poster child for player development. I think the fact Sam was on Team Canada before he’d even cleaned out his locker speaks volumes of how much stock he has with the current regime.