NEXT COACH should be? mega thread ...

Zamboni

10 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

My only thought now is that this needs to happen sooner than later to give Sabres a chance to adequately court free agents.

Why? You can't court anyone until what? Late June. There's no rush. Literally none. 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Guess it's a good thing they played those games then. 

Also I'm not talking about the teams win record. Go look at facilities and the owner. 

You made the leap to eichel. No one else has. Odd considering end of year comments and interviews. 

Not leaping to him at all. Just saying that if ego is involved it could be anyone. Let's face it everyone has an ego and athletes certainly. If rumor is true I would not exclude anyone and if it's not one of our top guys you would think he would be gone as this same rumbling has been heard for a couple years it seems.  I like Eichel and hope he's as respected by his teammates as their captain.

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

What sales pitch? There's nothing tti pitch for 2 months. 

Yeh got that, but minds are often made up or at least narrowed down before then where folks want to go if the offer is there and without a coach Sabres are still a question mark.  Again,  the sooner the better. Part of that Sales pitch is who is the team's coach.

Edited by North Buffalo

Just now, North Buffalo said:

Yeh got that, but minds are often made up or at least narrowed down before then where folks want to go if the offer is there and without a coach Sabres are still a question mark.  Again,  the sooner the better.

I don't agree. Some of the ufas are still playing. What's it matter if we hire a guy in april or may? 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

I don't agree. Some of the ufas are still playing. What's it matter if we hire a guy in april or may? 

Let's put it this way, in Presidential elections the winner doesn't win in August, but the loser can sure lose the election then.  The sales pitch is a process and having a good coach, or not one in place puts you behind the 8 ball the longer you wait...

Just now, North Buffalo said:

Let's put it this way, in Presidential elections the winner doesn't win in August, but the loser can sure lose the election then.  The sales pitch is a process and having a good coach, or not one in place puts you behind the 8 ball the longer you wait...

No, it doesn't. That's literally not the same thing. There's no sale to pitch yet. 

Can that deficit be overcome... sure, but it is an disadvantage, especially for a young developing team.

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No, it doesn't. That's literally not the same thing. There's no sale to pitch yet. 

Overtly no, but I think it is part of the sales pitch that starts much earlier than you acknowledge....we will have to agree to disagree.

Edited by North Buffalo

I still don't know who the coach should be. I can't believe some of you smart people can't make better guesses based on the system/style Botterill was trying to establish. Or is he abandoning that going into his must-win third season — that is, now it'll be "fit the system to the players"?

6 hours ago, Weave said:

A source close to the Sabres indicated that, when they failed to land McLellan.......

Hmmm..........

I wonder if that Burnside’s Wording on the Situation or did that actually occur? 

Greg Brady, no not that one, from TSN Toronto was on WGR yesterday and mentioned he has no inside knowledge of the situation but it would not surprise him if the Sabres and Sheldon Keefe had something worked out already. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I wonder if that Burnside’s Wording on the Situation or did that actually occur? 

Greg Brady, no not that one, from TSN Toronto was on WGR yesterday and mentioned he has no inside knowledge of the situation but it would not surprise him if the Sabres and Sheldon Keefe had something worked out already. 

That was also what I was thinking. Nothing I read indicated they “failed” to hire him, just that Botts did his due diligence. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The question is which guys. I think I can name 1, Risto. 

I'd ditch Sobotka too. He complained about he role but was utter trash on every line in any role. 

You need a coach that holds players accountable. Guy wants to go rogue and ignore you, staple him to the bench. Make him do the worst drills in practice. Tell him it will stay like that until he gets it through his big ego that the team comes first. 

And if that doesn't work, trade him to the worst place you can. 

Coming from Hamilton, would expect that "guys" being defined as Reinhart & Ristolainen.  Perhaps others but definitely those 2.  Not saying he'd be right, but those seem to be 2 Sabres he doesn't have a good professional working relationship with.

56 minutes ago, sabresouth said:

Agreed, second in points, only behind Jack. He's not flashy or dynamic but just gets the job done.

One year ago Reinhart went before the media and said, to paraphrase, I do better when I don't listen to the coach, so I'm not going to listen to the coach. Sabrespace never mentions this, I call it Flow Denial, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Sabres have been looking for a deal for the last year.

12 minutes ago, utsvävande said:

One year ago Reinhart went before the media and said, to paraphrase, I do better when I don't listen to the coach, so I'm not going to listen to the coach. Sabrespace never mentions this, I call it Flow Denial, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Sabres have been looking for a deal for the last year.

Link/source?

15 minutes ago, utsvävande said:

I remember that. And he's been playing a ton better ever since 

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

I remember that. And he's been playing a ton better ever since 

yeah, but Botterill needed to choose either Housley or Reinhart a year ago, for me this past year had to happen as it did, since Housley had lost the room a year ago.