NEXT COACH should be? mega thread ...

Zamboni

46 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Define involved. He wants to meet the guy before he's hired? Fine. He doesn't want a wife-beater (or gambler) as head coach? Fine, I guess that's the owner's prerogative. I don't know what other kind of involvement is warranted.

I personally don’t think hiring a coach is any different then hiring any executive and I have no problem with ownership being involved. I think they knocked it out of the park with the Beane hire and don’t think there is any great mystery that they wouldn’t be privy to and this make counter productive for them to be involved.

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

All I'm going by is Brawndo's intel that Housley was baked into the cake. There does seem to be a Pegula signature to his hires. I'll leave it at that.

For the first time as owners, the Pegulas used an NHL Advisory Committee for their GM and HC Search. Russ Brandon contacted and arranged meetings with interested candidates.The net was cast pretty wide on the GM Search including Drury, Brodeur, Kyle Dubas and John Chayka in addition to Botterill. Housley also did hire an agent at the beginning of the 2017 Playoffs, which he did not have before. 

The fact remains that both Botterill and Housley were at the top of those NHL Recommendation Lists. So neither hire was out of left field.  As a matter of fact the Botterill hire was praised in hockey circles. 

In addition their was always concern in Pittsburgh that Botterill acted as a restraint to Rutherford to prevent him from making bad decisions and once he left, those bad decisions would go unchecked. Their concerns have appeared to come to fruition. 

Boughner did have an interview with the Sabres and Panthers, but both teams were waiting on Housley. Then Florida announced Boughner’s Hiring before the Playoffs were done. 

33 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

For the first time as owners, the Pegulas used an NHL Advisory Committee for their GM and HC Search. Russ Brandon contacted and arranged meetings with interested candidates.The net was cast pretty wide on the GM Search including Drury, Brodeur, Kyle Dubas and John Chayka in addition to Botterill. Housley also did hire an agent at the beginning of the 2017 Playoffs, which he did not have before. 

The fact remains that both Botterill and Housley were at the top of those NHL Recommendation Lists. So neither hire was out of left field.  As a matter of fact the Botterill hire was praised in hockey circles. 

In addition their was always concern in Pittsburgh that Botterill acted as a restraint to Rutherford to prevent him from making bad decisions and once he left, those bad decisions would go unchecked. Their concerns have appeared to come to fruition. 

Boughner did have an interview with the Sabres and Panthers, but both teams were waiting on Housley. Then Florida announced Boughner’s Hiring before the Playoffs were done. 

Botterill used the advisory committee too?

Instead of my rephrasing your previous posts on Pegula's role in Housley's hire, can you repeat what you said you'd heard?

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Botterill used the advisory committee too?

Instead of my rephrasing your previous posts on Pegula's role in Housley's hire, can you repeat what you said you'd heard?

No Botterill was recommended by the Committee for the GM Position. 

There is a rumor circulating that the Housley Decision was made prior to Botterill being hired.  

Housley was near or at the Top of the Advisory Committee’s List for Coaches and the rest is history. 

33 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'm starting to lean towards Keefe.  He seems to fit my "does more with less" criterion.  But will the players listen to him?  

He’s a powerful personality.

Has a rep for walking that fine line between communication  and fear/respect

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I would generally think walking that fine line between communication/comaraderie and fear/respect would be close to ideal but I have never coached

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Hamsammich was on the air this morning talking about the egos in the dressing room and the accompanying sense of entitlement.  Made it seem like even a Ruff type couldn't get this group to listen to him. I've also heard from a number of sources that Housley wasn't exactly easy on the guys behind closed doors. So whether the coach can get through to these guys is a big concern for me.  

It's also one of the reasons I don't want Taylor.  If he couldn't get through to Bailey, Baptiste, Guhle, et al., how is he going to get guys like Casey and Jack to listen to him?

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

Hamsammich was on the air this morning talking about the egos in the dressing room and the accompanying sense of entitlement.  Made it seem like even a Ruff type couldn't get this group to listen to him. I've also heard from a number of sources that Housley wasn't exactly easy on the guys behind closed doors. So whether the coach can get through to these guys is a big concern for me.  

It's also one of the reasons I don't want Taylor.  If he couldn't get through to Bailey, Baptiste, Guhle, et al., how is he going to get guys like Casey and Jack to listen to him?

It’s not up to a coach to make players listen, it’s up to the players to do their job.

Just now, SDS said:

It’s not up to a coach to make players listen, it’s up to the players to do their job.

Sure, there's a certain amount to that.  But if the coach isn't there to make players listen and adhere to the plan, well, why have one?

It's funny the more I think about the coaching search the less I care who they hire.

I admit that a coach can make a difference both positively and negatively.  On the positive side, I look at how every team that Trotz coaches improves, especially defensively.  

However, I think that good coaches can make a good team very good or even excellent, but ultimately no coach can make a good team out of one without a complete roster.

Until Jbot builds a complete roster, this team is stuck in 2nd gear regardless of the coach.

To the point of the players not listening to the coach & their sense of entitlement & all that. After finishing in the bottom of the NHL all these years, why should they feel entitled to anything? After having multiple coaches fired for their poor performance. At what point do they step up & take responsibility for their play on the ice & say no more to this bs. No more to the mental mistakes, no more to the losses, no more to the passive aggressive interviews with the media after bad games. No more firing coaches. No more excuses or any of it?

I gotta think that whoever the next coach is, if these guys have even half an ounce of self respect & are sick of losing, that they'll do whatever it takes on the ice to not have this next coach get fired. Because if a team goes thru 3 or 4 coaches with the same core group of guys & has the same result, then the problem isnt with the coaching, its with that group of players you got.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It's funny the more I think about the coaching search the less I care who they hire.

I admit that a coach can make a difference both positively and negatively.  On the positive side, I look at how every team that Trotz coaches improves, especially defensively.  

However, I think that good coaches can make a good team very good or even excellent, but ultimately no coach can make a good team out of one without a complete roster.

Until Jbot builds a complete roster, this team is stuck in 2nd gear regardless of the coach.

Coaches teach a defensive system. Offense comes from players' creativity.

You can teach a scorer to check but getting a checker to score is a different matter.

JBot needs to find some more talent and a coach who can get guys to buy in to whatever he (coach) is selling. There are many coaching skills that are required. Motivator, line matches, running practices, balancing eye test with analytics, knowing your goalies, studying opponents, personal relationships with players, selecting and delegating to assistants, tactics, etc... He needs to find the guy with the right balance for the team he is building.

I still like Dave Tippett but I doubt he pulls out of the Seattle gig.

15 hours ago, Eleven said:

The question is which guys. I think I can name 1, Risto. 

I'd ditch Sobotka too. He complained about he role but was utter trash on every line in any role. 

You need a coach that holds players accountable. Guy wants to go rogue and ignore you, staple him to the bench. Make him do the worst drills in practice. Tell him it will stay like that until he gets it through his big ego that the team comes first. 

And if that doesn't work, trade him to the worst place you can. 

Edited by LGR4GM

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The question is which guys. I think I can name 1, Risto. 

I'd ditch Sobotka too. He complained about he role but was utter trash on every line in any role. 

You need a coach that holds players accountable. Guy wants to go rogue and ignore you, staple him to the bench. Make him do the worst drills in practice. Tell him it will stay like that until he gets it through his big ego that the team comes first. 

And if that doesn't work, trade him to the worst place you can. 

If you leave out the 10 game win streak (LOL) aren't they already in the worst place they could be?

16 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

If you leave out the 10 game win streak (LOL) aren't they already in the worst place they could be?

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Let's talk about ottawa...

Outside of those 10 games, they both had 56 points.

If this is true about players ego problems would one possibly be our captain?  Boy, I hope not as we can't afford that. If that were the case I wouldn't think he'd be the captain. Hopefully this reporting is inaccurate which wouldn't be all that rare.

Edited by Radar

19 minutes ago, carpandean said:

Outside of those 10 games, they both had 56 points.

Guess it's a good thing they played those games then. 

Also I'm not talking about the teams win record. Go look at facilities and the owner. 

17 minutes ago, Radar said:

If this is true about players ego problems would one possibly be our captain?  Boy, I hope not as we can't afford that. If that were the case I wouldn't think he'd be the captain. Hopefully this reporting is inaccurate which wouldn't be all that rare.

You made the leap to eichel. No one else has. Odd considering end of year comments and interviews. 

Edited by LGR4GM

From The Athletic this AM

Outside Professional Hockey

Rikard Gronborg

Current Position: Coach of the Swedish men’s national team

The list of European head coaches in the NHL is a pretty short one. Alpo Suhonen coached Chicago for one season, 2000-01, and Ivan Hlinka coached Pittsburgh for a total of 86 games between 2000 and 2002. Language, culture and differing coaching styles all contributed to a virtual wall existing between the NHL and European born and/or trained coaches. But if there is one person prepared to break through that wall it could be Gronborg, 50, who has a strong connection to North America, having played at St. Cloud State and coached at the minor pro level before taking on national team duties in Sweden. Gronborg is immensely popular in coaching circles and considered forward thinking. A source close to the Sabres indicated that, when they failed to land McLellan, Gronborg’s name was thrown into the mix, especially given the number of top young Swedes on the Sabres’ roster, including last June’s No. 1 overall pick Rasmus Dahlin. Would it be an outside the box hire for Buffalo GM Jason Botterill or any of the other GMs (assuming Edmonton gets a GM at some point) to hire from outside of North America? Sure. But it does seem like high time that coaches with different perspectives are considered as the NHL game continues to evolve.