NEXT COACH should be? mega thread ...

Zamboni

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Correct on lack of evidence. These are slippery people. Botterill wouldn't want it out there that he didn't hire Housley, and neither would Terry. Terry and Kim will interview candidates — that's about as much as we'll ever know.

But the point is, who makes the decision. It sounds like Botterill, if he was not behind Housley, would have a big leash now to do exactly what he wants. I think he hired Housley even if Terry liked the idea. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

But the point is, who makes the decision. It sounds like Botterill, if he was not behind Housley, would have a big leash now to do exactly what he wants. I think he hired Housley even if Terry liked the idea. 

You'd think that leash would be long, if Terry was smart. Because if this hire is botched, then Botterill has to go, and we know Terry definitely hired him. In fact at the time he said he hadn't had much to do with hiring Murray, but the next GM he was going to be all in on.

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

You'd think that leash would be long, if Terry was smart. Because if this hire is botched, then Botterill has to go, and we know Terry definitely hired him. In fact at the time he said he hadn't had much to do with hiring Murray, but the next GM he was going to be all in on.

Well of course he hired Botterill. That I am not disputing. I was considering how much of a role Pegula had with hiring Housley. I think it was minor. Botterill seems to have lead the process and at the time, hiring Housley made a lot of sense. 

As PA said, I think after Murray, Terry has made it a point to be involved in all major hirings. Bluntly, he doesn’t want anyone he thinks is an ***** working for him. There is no doubt he will sign off on the new coach.

Personally, I don’t think there is anything wrong with that, as long he’s not telling Jason what to do against Jason’s better judgement. I also think  that even ifJason was steered toward Phil, he liked him and was happy to hire him.

• Like (+1) 4

36 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't think we have evidence that Pegula is involved in this coaching search. We had some for the Bills hire. Housley we could speculate. It's just hard to see who is making the final call. Sounds like Botterill decided to fire Housley. 

You are talking a $3-$5 million hire. I’d bet there isn’t an owner or managing partner out there that is not involved in the hire. These aren’t family hobbies anymore. They are billion dollar businesses.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

What?

Here's what you said:

Calling that "general knowledge" is nonsense. 

It's also nowhere near "the fact that Murray wasn't fired for another other reason," which is a major backpedal.

For that matter, saying that Murray was "fired for another reason" is nowhere near "a fact."  It's simply more unfounded message board speculation. 

To be clear, you and everyone else is free to engage in this kind of speculation.  But upgrading rumors to "general knowledge" and "facts" is BS, and needs to be recognized as such.

Of course it's speculation. But based on the history of the Pegulas, and Murray's attitude, is the possibility really out of the equation?

50 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't think we have evidence that Pegula is involved in this coaching search. We had some for the Bills hire. Housley we could speculate. It's just hard to see who is making the final call. Sounds like Botterill decided to fire Housley. 

Q: Can you be more specific on maybe some of the decisions that you've made that ended up going in the wrong direction to get you to this point?Pegula: Well, I can tell you that I was not involved in the last GM/coach search to a large extent and I regret that move. And that's all I'm going to say about that.

Taken from this interview.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2017/04/what_terry_pegula_had_to_say_about_firing_sabres_coach_gm_transcript.html

Well of course he hired Botterill. That I am not disputing. I was considering how much of a role Pegula had with hiring Housley. I think it was minor. Botterill seems to have lead the process and at the time, hiring Housley made a lot of sense. 

Terry hired Housley.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I quite literally added that as a knock after you said it. So no, I didn't ***** miss it.  

Hasn't been a head coach in years, was mediocre as a head coach but we should hire him as a head coach... how bout no. 

Point taken. But of all the veteran coaches that are left, who would you take? 

Me, personally, I'd take Boogie. People might think I'm crazy, but they also thought I was crazy too when I mentioned Spuddy. 

17 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

Point taken. But of all the veteran coaches that are left, who would you take? 

Me, personally, I'd take Boogie. People might think I'm crazy, but they also thought I was crazy too when I mentioned Spuddy. 

Maybe if you repeat this enough, it will become true?

I do recall you touting Gallant. I don’t recall a huge pushback against the idea.

Gallant was hired by the Knights in April, before Bylsma and Murray were fired. Botterill by the Sabres in May and Housley in June.

Cant wait until next year when I read about how people thought you were crazy about hiring Boughner. The only one who has suggested that so far is you.

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I’m on record here as saying GMs should generally get 5 years because it should take that long for proper player and culture development to fully take hold. The exception would be when the expected indicators of progress in both areas are not being met and there is evidence of the opposite.

The lack of organizational leadership and structure under Murray was pretty evident. It has also been reported that as the team collapsed into chaos during the back half of his final year he had no answers to the Pegula questions of “why?” and “how will you fix it?

i suspect a major difference between Botterill and Murray is that Botterill had answers this year: “look at Rochester” “Look at the growth of Jack and Sam, give Dahlin, Casey and the others time” “this is a better place to work and that will reflect in our record soon” “I’m bringing in a better leader as coach” and “Remember what I did with Skinner? I’ll be making these moves this summer.”

And he’s crossing his fingers those moves will work.

Because next summer he won’t be able to use the same response.

Bob Boughner was a rookie head coach two years ago. You think his two playoff-free NHL seasons automatically make him better than any coach who hasn’t coached in the NHL?

I'm not sure it makes him better, but he is a much more hard-nosed coach than softie Phil. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Whether you're a rookie coach or not, I like a hard-ass coach who sticks up for his team and is a cheerleader. Hence my like for Spuddy Gallant. 

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I do recall you touting Gallant. I don’t recall a huge pushback against the idea.

Gallant was hired by the Panthers in April, before Bylsma and Murray were fired. Botterill by the Sabres in May and Housley in June.

Cant wait until next year when I read about how people thought you were crazy about hiring Boughner. The only one who has suggested that so far is you.

ftfy

I don't like hiring Boughner. It isn't crazy though to look at him. 

1 minute ago, JJFIVEOH said:

I'm not sure it makes him better, but he is a much more hard-nosed coach than softie Phil. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Whether you're a rookie coach or not, I like a hard-ass coach who sticks up for his team and is a cheerleader. Hence my like for Spuddy Gallant. 

You know who calls coaches by their nicknames? Fans of that team. 

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Gallant was hired by the Knights in April, before Botterill and Murray were fired. Botterill by the Sabres in May and Housley in June.

Sorry, I was just making a point. If you don't like it so often, don't read it. 

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

chris taylor can go to another ahl team but he’s certainly not getting phone calls from any nhl clubs aside from maybe an assistant job. i have no worries about this. taylor should know he’s done nothing to warrant consideration.

I don’t think there would be any animosity towards the Sabres organization, he should understand the hiring. But if the Sabres hire Keefe, then the writing is on the wall. That he basically has no future in the organization above his current position. Maybe he’s OK with that. But, I wouldn’t be surprised if he jumped to another AHL team where he could build a career.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

ftfy

I don't like hiring Boughner. It isn't crazy though to look at him. 

You know who calls coaches by their nicknames? Fans of that team. 

I call him Spuddy because that was his nickname playing for all his years in Detroit. And also, just trying to lighten it up a bit because some people here are way too tense. 

Almost 500 points and 1,600 penalty minutes......... how can you pass that up? 

2 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

I call him Spuddy because that was his nickname playing for all his years in Detroit. And also, just trying to lighten it up a bit because some people here are way too tense. 

Almost 500 points and 1,600 penalty minutes......... how can you pass that up? 

It what way does this help him coach? How does getting 500 points and 1600 penalty minutes, help someone get team to follow a plan, and have a good plan. 

30 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

Of course it's speculation. But based on the history of the Pegulas, and Murray's attitude, is the possibility really out of the equation?

Nothing wrong with speculation, and of course it's not impossible.  My point is simply that it's way off base to refer to those bits of speculation as "general knowledge" and "facts."

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

It what way does this help him coach? How does getting 500 points and 1600 penalty minutes, help someone get team to follow a plan, and have a good plan. 

He is a hardass coach. He sticks up for his team, he is a cheerleader, and firing him was one of the worst things the Panthers ever did. Not saying his player stats qualifies him as being a quality head coach. But it does show he is a die-hard. 

He did win the Jack Adams, did he not?

Just now, nfreeman said:

Nothing wrong with speculation, and of course it's not impossible.  My point is simply that it's way off base to refer to those bits of speculation as "general knowledge" and "facts."

I referred to them as "general knowledge" because it has been widely referenced on this forum. If I am wrong, I apologize.  

21 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Gallant / Spuddy (but I only hear JJ calling him that).

And I always thought that Boogie was Bouger.

I only call him Spuddy because that was his nickname before most of us were born. 

I call Boughner Boogie because that was his nickname in Sunrise. 

Just trying to keep things fun is all. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

You are talking a $3-$5 million hire. I’d bet there isn’t an owner or managing partner out there that is not involved in the hire. These aren’t family hobbies anymore. They are billion dollar businesses.

Define involved. He wants to meet the guy before he's hired? Fine. He doesn't want a wife-beater (or gambler) as head coach? Fine, I guess that's the owner's prerogative. I don't know what other kind of involvement is warranted.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

All I'm going by is Brawndo's intel that Housley was baked into the cake. There does seem to be a Pegula signature to his hires. I'll leave it at that.